May 01, 2020, 09:01 PM

Question On wings

Building this puppy and all goes well doubled the fuselage, built the wings to plan but they seem a little floppy? Just on the bench have not built the supports yet but wondering it they call for a spar of some sort? dowel or CF? thanks for any advice.....Lee
to remove ads between posts
May 02, 2020, 11:34 AM
I really can't remember. It's been too many years since I built mine. If you do use some type if spar, keep it light. I build a second set if wings for mine that were a bit bjgger wing area. They looked like the wings for a Sopwith Pup. I doubled the front 25% of the wing on the under side to somewhat resemble an airfoil. I did have a stiffener in that set of wings. It was a carbon fiber strip. It was not very big. . Maybe 3/16 wide and 1/16 or less thick. It was glued upright to the back of the wing doubler.
The bigger wing did give it a slower flight which is what I was after.
I got away from small electrics and gave it to a friend. Bet I built it close to 10 years ago.
Good luck. Post some pictures.
Dave
May 02, 2020, 07:31 PM
treefinder
Thread OP
On the 5th post of the build thread, you can see how I did mine. A 3/16 dowel at LE , on the kfm5a step (bottom) part of LE. Samd the top, main wing down to dowel to make more camber in airfoil. I did that for most of the readiboard onesheeters and wings were fine in flight.
May 02, 2020, 08:54 PM
Thanks Dave and Springer...I will follow those ideas...Lee
May 20, 2020, 05:03 PM

Another OSB is born

Well I guess I am one of the last ones to build the OSB. Maybe to my advantage as I read all and followed a few other recommendations like doubling the fuselage and did put in a CF spar behind the CF plate on both wings. Put in a little less of the sweep on the wings, and a bit of dihedral.

Made a shelf in the front behind the firewall, bottom for the ESC and top for the battery. The hatch was a new idea I came up with as it has the front, rear and two sides that slip down into the compartment. So I think it will be secure enough so it does not fly off.

Servos are mounted below as in the plan and receiver on top, so then thought of putting a canopy on top of that. Soda bottle style, sprayed with smoke canopy spray with again the front and rear sunk into the fuselage with tabs.

The landing gear worked out well as I sewed it to a ply plate with wire, epoxy on top of that…The plate fit in just before the first dowels for the bottom wing so rubber band under the two wires and in front with another, very secure but would give a bit in case of a “dork”.

Used water base poly for a sealer and then airbrushed the color on and another 2 light coats of the poly to give it some gloss. Leading edge of the wings taped with clear tape.

Used fabric tac for hinges and with the poly on first it did not eat into the foam so that is a good trick I will use in future builds.

Cut and ironed on carefully some white monokote for pin stripes down the side and battery hatch in the front.

Too much rain and wind and then of course don’t want to be around others at our field right now with covid being strong in this area of the woods…So might try in my back yard…so will see?

Thanks Springer for the nice bipe and plans….As others have said its more of one and a quarter sheet bipe, but turned out well or so he says….Thanks for all Lee
May 20, 2020, 07:28 PM
treefinder
Thread OP
Looks great man! You took some excellent liberties with the design. Should be a good flyer. Let us all know how she goes, vid if possible. A pic with better view of canopy would be cool too.

Quick Reply