Dec 12, 2014, 08:04 AM
Have finished the bipe. Built two swept wings and put dowels in les. Should I cover the les with packing tape or is it unnecessary?
to remove ads between posts
Dec 12, 2014, 09:55 AM
treefinder
Thread OP
Are ya gonna paint it? If so, add color first. If not, then go ahead and wrap the LE's. It adds both damage resistance and stiffness, both of which are useful in a DTF plane!

Additional thought: the only times i wouldn't tape the LE are if i'm going for ultimate low weight (and am willing to accept some fragility) or am going to cover with something else like WBPU and filters or colored packing tape when i am doing the former, i typically lay a strip down the LE (same place as tape before laying covering over the rest of wing-double layer). Colored tape, of course. Does same job as clear.
Last edited by springer; Dec 12, 2014 at 10:01 AM.
Dec 12, 2014, 01:11 PM
Thanks.
Sep 20, 2016, 12:08 PM
Crash,fly,crash again....
What electronics did you use?
Sep 20, 2016, 07:56 PM
treefinder
Thread OP
The prototype info from first page:
Forgot to add the gear to this post, so here's what I'm running now: 1700KV 24gm Blue wonder motor, 7x6 sf prop (or 8x4.3, but the 7incher flys better), 12amp esc, 2s 800mah pack. She uses a HK V1 2.4 setup with 5gm Hextronik servos. All up weight less battery comes to 7.5oz for the swept wing V2 with landing gear and cowl.

She's running V2 fly sky protocol now with my 9xrPro now.
May 21, 2019, 10:14 PM
I just finished mine, made in the Tiger Moth version, no ailerons. Went flying and it flew like crap. It seemed to be out of control as soon as it was in the air. Programmed in 30% expo and that seemed to help. Wind was very light and variable, maybe 2-5 mph.

I realized after getting back home that I had too much servo throw, elevator and rudder were going the max the cutouts allowed, maybe 20 degrees! I dropped to the closest holes on the servo arms, and now have maybe 12 degrees, that should help a lot!

It has a Blue Wonder motor, very easily gets airborne.
May 21, 2019, 11:19 PM
treefinder
Thread OP
Beautiful build! I still haven't built my Moth version yet. (so many planes, so little time!). While I agree that you don't need nearly full travel to fly it well, and reducing it will help as well as some expo ( I typically use 30% too), you may need more dihedral to turn without ailerons. hard to see from the pictures, but I think you have only some on bottom wing? Also, you will find that she should lift off at only about half throttle, so a wot takeoff isn't needed. A gentler takeoff with less torque reaction, slower responses will be easier to control as you are getting used to her.

I just noticed your first post! Welcome to RCG and scratchbuilt foamies!
May 22, 2019, 07:52 PM
Yes, dihedral on bottom only. No problem turning, I reduced the throw on rudder as well to make it more stable. Been waiting over a week now for a day without wind & rain, might have to wait a few more days to try it again!

Thanks for the nice design work!
May 22, 2019, 08:52 PM
treefinder
Thread OP
Good to hear the top sweep plus bottom dihedral works for turns. Post how she does when the rain quits! ( wettest spring in my memory!)
May 24, 2019, 08:39 AM
HI All,

Just a quick question, how are you making the cowl? Are you making a mold outta a 2x4 and then shrinking the plastic around it or some other way?
May 24, 2019, 02:49 PM
treefinder
Thread OP
That's what I did with mine.
Nov 22, 2019, 04:26 PM
Has anyone tried a micro version of this bipe?
I have adjusted the plans to a 16 1/4" wingspan for the top wing and was thinking of a micro version for indoor flying. It prints out on 4 letter size sheets.
I was going to try it with 3mm depron for the wings and body and 2mm depron (Dollar Store foam plates) for bulkheads and tail feathers.
Any suggestions for the build or motor requirements would be appreciated.
Last edited by Redcoat; Nov 22, 2019 at 04:50 PM.
Nov 22, 2019, 09:33 PM
treefinder
Thread OP
Interesting project, I would think a 10 gram max motor would be ok. Maybe even a brick setup, either the dsm2 micro Spektrum, or the FlySky AFHDS2 bricks from banggood. The FlySky protocol ones have 2 conventional type servos for rudder/elevator; generally a bit more robust than the little linear ones.

Also, you might increase the tail feathers about 10% . When I did the OSAeronca, I left vertical and horizontal stabs mostly scale. It doesn't fly slow well. Larger tails help slow flying stability.
Nov 24, 2019, 09:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer
Interesting project, I would think a 10 gram max motor would be ok. Maybe even a brick setup, either the dsm2 micro Spektrum, or the FlySky AFHDS2 bricks from banggood. The FlySky protocol ones have 2 conventional type servos for rudder/elevator; generally a bit more robust than the little linear ones.

Also, you might increase the tail feathers about 10% . When I did the OSAeronca, I left vertical and horizontal stabs mostly scale. It doesn't fly slow well. Larger tails help slow flying stability.
Thanks Springer. Do you know if this model is inherently tail heavy ? It would make a difference with my motor choice and maybe adding tail weight with larger tail feathers.
I'm not sure where the cg is.
Nov 25, 2019, 12:35 PM
treefinder
Thread OP
I set my CG at about 25% aft of wing LE. The original build needed the lipo right behind the motor, so I think that long tail shifts CG aft .

Quick Reply