Flush cut router bit for Dremel? - RC Groups
Jan 09, 2011, 06:26 PM
Discussion

Flush cut router bit for Dremel?

Has anyone ever seen this type of bit in an 1/8" shank to fit a Dremel? It would be similar to the type of router bit used to trim laminate for countertops or to cut multiple parts using a template. I've searched and would assume someone would sell one but have not found anything yet.

Thanks, Scot
to remove ads between posts
Jan 09, 2011, 06:34 PM
AMA 910957
http://www.dremel.com/en-us/Attachme...me=Router+Bits

Your local hobby shop of harware should be able to help you with availability.

Try the cut on a scrap piece of like-material first. Keep the RPMs slow as not to burn the wood and bit.

EJWash
Jan 09, 2011, 07:27 PM
I didn't see anything like what I'm looking for. See the bit by clicking the link below. Looking for something like it.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA300_.jpg
Jan 09, 2011, 07:54 PM
Jim C Patrick
I use tungsten-carbide bits from McMaster-Carr. Technically they are die-grinder burrs, but they work fine in the Dremel tools. They cost ≈$5 nowadays, but I have four and they have lasted almost 20 years in all sorts of use.

For the use you propose, I'd recommend the double-cut (faster cut) but the trick is the 1/8" shank, 1/8" diameter head which does a 1:1 transfer. Just adjust the seating of the bit in to the dremel so the smooth shank contacts the pattern and the teeth engage the raw material. If you use the radiused-end, you can plunge-cut into soft materials as well.

McMaster is where I got the ones I have, but they are available from a dozen places, and the pictures are from a Karnasch catalog.
Jan 09, 2011, 08:06 PM
http://routerbitworld.com/PhotoDetai...log-page26.jpg

#46196 or #46296

Nevermind, those have an 1/8" cutter diameter, but a 1/4" shank.
Last edited by hammerd; Jan 09, 2011 at 08:11 PM.
Jan 09, 2011, 08:12 PM
AMA 910957
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotY
I didn't see anything like what I'm looking for. See the bit by clicking the link below. Looking for something like it.
Okay, so you're looking for a trim/bevel bit with a live bottom bearing? Sorry, I haven't seen a bit with such a small bearing either. As you may know, the extension on the bottom of the bits in the Dremel link serve the same purpose, although a live bearing avoids burning the wood, and serves on a trim bit to bring the material you're removing flush with the work piece.

I'm afraid that chances are you'll only find the extended fixed "bearing" on a 1/8" shaft router bit. If you do, PLEASE post where to get them!

EJWash
Jan 10, 2011, 12:38 AM
Thanks for the ideas, guys. I guess those McMaster Carr bits would work, but would probably be better on a router table setup since the "bearing" surface would be on the bottom, closer to the collet.

EJ,
A ball bearing would be nice but not necessary at all. It's a shame Dremel doesn't make such a bit already...wonder why?
Jan 10, 2011, 05:46 AM
Jim C Patrick
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotY
. . . A ball bearing would be nice but not necessary at all. It's a shame Dremel doesn't make such a bit already...wonder why?
That when people trim laminate, they use 'real' routers? The cost of the bearing? . . . a bearing that is not only smaller, but must turn at higher RPM?

You haven't explained why you want this; what the purpose is. Laminate trimming is one thing, but pattern cutting and sign routing is normally done pattern-above, stock-below.