EOT Models 47 inch Rare Bear build!! - Page 5 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Thread Tools
Jul 08, 2011, 06:58 AM
Flying Half Pound and Down
DaOldGuy's Avatar
Just remember guys, I have been building and flying EPP for many years now, this time of year, watch how the bear sits in a warm car. If you have it leaning on an aileron or something, it will need some heavy trim that next flight. of course a hour or so in the sun, they relax and go back to their natural shape.

I had mine inverted the other even just about 5 feet above the deck, I slowed it down real slow. It does a really nice slow tip wiggle on the edge of stall, that gives you time to speed things up a bit if needed. It really will slow to a crawl and is still stable.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Jul 08, 2011, 07:51 AM
Account closed - user passed away
Patron's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarksRC
Hey Patron,

Nice job, looks great. Have you maidened it yet?
Just got my kit yesterday and can't wait to get started.

Mark
Yes, I've been flying it for about 2 weeks now and it flys great, it's fun and relaxing to fly.

I was just laughing at Ron's comment about getting it close to a stall. We were all commenting at the flying field the other day that the RB doesn't want to stall making it very easy for just about anyone to fly it, and it's very stable.

I'm surprised the RB isn't getting more of a following with sport flyer's, it's just a great plane to have fun with and would be a good 2nd plane for someone just starting out. Calm the thrown way down and it's a very docile, stable flyer that's able to take some abuse.

Mike
Jul 08, 2011, 12:55 PM
Registered User
MarksRC's Avatar
Thanks Mike, "fun and relaxing" is what I wanted to hear.
I to am surprised that there isn't a bigger following, it seems like a winning combination.
Jul 08, 2011, 01:13 PM
Heli and E-Plane
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarksRC
I to am surprised that there isn't a bigger following, it seems like a winning combination.
In my readings in other foamie threads people seem to be reluctant to spend this much money on a "just" foam kit. This is probably why there isn't a big following.
Jul 08, 2011, 01:54 PM
Flying Half Pound and Down
DaOldGuy's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jer291113
In my readings in other foamie threads people seem to be reluctant to spend this much money on a "just" foam kit. This is probably why there isn't a big following.
I would say that could be a factor at face value but honestly this is not a foamie like they are used to.

This thing will not only compete with the 48 inch light ply / Balsa birds for flight and wind handling, it will out last them on hits, dorks, and doinks. The RB could be concidered a lower cost of ownership compared to its equal in wood, with a better ROI for the distance.
Jul 08, 2011, 02:22 PM
Account closed - user passed away
Patron's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jer291113
In my readings in other foamie threads people seem to be reluctant to spend this much money on a "just" foam kit. This is probably why there isn't a big following.
I'm an EPP foam junkie so I'm a little biased but I think it's a good value for the money. If you set it up with the components Bikeman suggested, as a whole it's resonably priced.

Mike
Jul 11, 2011, 11:25 AM
Registered User

Request for help selecting a motor


Oh boy, am I ever excited!
I've ordered my yellow Rare Bear; it should be here any day now.
But I need some help from you more experienced RB flyers finding a motor. I had planned to use the Turnigy SK35-30 1100KV like Daoldguy used. That is my favorite motor; I have used it in several brushless conversions. But it has been discontinued by HobbyKing. The new motor is the NTM3530 which is out of stock and back ordered. As a matter of fact, I don't recall it ever being in stock, which leads me to believe that they may have production problems with it, and goodness only knows how long it will take to resolve that problem.

So I decided to use the Topstar E480 like Bikeman did. But when I went to the ValueHobby web site, I found that it too was out of stock. http://www.valuehobby.com/products.php?category_id=29
But the Gforce G10 is currently available. So my question to you guys with RB flying experience is “will the G10 3536 1000KV be too much motor for the RB?” It is about 6 grams heavier, and it seems to stick out maybe 5 mm further than the 3530. Also it is only rated at 1000KV, whereas the E480 is rated at 1100 KV. Perhaps I should order the 3536 1250KV rated motor instead?
I will appreciate any and all inputs from you guys.
Thanks,
Herb
Jul 11, 2011, 12:54 PM
Registered User
MarksRC's Avatar
Hi Herb,

My RB was just delivered Friday, but, my motor and servos are not here yet. After watching the "Flite Test" video, I ordered the Hextronik DT750 (750kv), which is the motor they used. I know it's no power house, but it was between that or an E-Flite 480. After reading some reviews on the DT750, I figured I'd give it a try.

FWIW

Mark
Jul 11, 2011, 01:30 PM
Flying Half Pound and Down
DaOldGuy's Avatar
The Regular 3530 HC sells is just as good of an option, it is a tad bit lighter then the SK but was commonly used as an upgrade to the Typhoon 2 3D, I just wanted to be different.

The DT 750 <wonder motor> are an ok motor, I dont like the noise they make or the mount but as seen on the video they work. There are many 480 size motors that compare with the EFlite 480, the X Mount types are great since the wood firewall is already pre drilled.

I personally would keep it around the 1100Kv range <plus or minus 100> for good torque and prop choice. You guys are gonna love this bird.
Jul 12, 2011, 07:39 PM
Registered User
MarksRC's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaOldGuy
The Regular 3530 HC sells is just as good of an option, it is a tad bit lighter then the SK but was commonly used as an upgrade to the Typhoon 2 3D, I just wanted to be different.

The DT 750 <wonder motor> are an ok motor, I dont like the noise they make or the mount but as seen on the video they work. There are many 480 size motors that compare with the EFlite 480, the X Mount types are great since the wood firewall is already pre drilled.

I personally would keep it around the 1100Kv range <plus or minus 100> for good torque and prop choice. You guys are gonna love this bird.
I was just looking the 3530-11 http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...lectric/Detail and it looks like a capable motor. Do you think the DT750's power would be to marginal for general sport flying and aerobatics? Since I am not interested in 3D, I'm not sure how much power the RB requires to be a good performer. I have been considering shelving the DT (only $9.95) and purchasing the 3530-11 instead.

Mark
Jul 12, 2011, 09:56 PM
Flying Half Pound and Down
DaOldGuy's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarksRC
I was just looking the 3530-11 http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...lectric/Detail and it looks like a capable motor. Do you think the DT750's power would be to marginal for general sport flying and aerobatics? Since I am not interested in 3D, I'm not sure how much power the RB requires to be a good performer. I have been considering shelving the DT (only $9.95) and purchasing the 3530-11 instead.

Mark
The DT 750 is a 750 KV and with a max amps of 18...
18X11= 200 Watt max output and doesn't spin over an 11 inch prop. It will fly, there is no question.

The 3530 motors are 275 + watts and the motor weight is good for balance with the 3S1800 - 3S2200 Lipos

While the RB will hover and Knife Edge really well, its not a pure 3D plane, its strong points are Pattern Aerobatics and good bit of speed is nice to have with the power to pull nice upline.
Jul 13, 2011, 06:55 AM
Registered User
MarksRC's Avatar
DaOldGuy,

Thanks for the info. I've been flying helicopters since 2002 and haven't flown a plane of this size for about twenty five years (old guy also). Back then it was nitro, so this electric stuff is still somewhat confusing.
Going to order the 3530.

Thanks again,

Mark
Jul 13, 2011, 07:01 AM
Flying Half Pound and Down
DaOldGuy's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarksRC
DaOldGuy,

Thanks for the info. I've been flying helicopters since 2002 and haven't flown a plane of this size for about twenty five years (old guy also). Back then it was nitro, so this electric stuff is still somewhat confusing.
Going to order the 3530.

Thanks again,

Mark
It is a perfect plane to get back into aeros, it will spoil you. We are leaving on a trip tonight to the mid west, the RB is the only plane I am taking with me.
Jul 13, 2011, 07:23 AM
Registered User
MarksRC's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaOldGuy
It is a perfect plane to get back into aeros, it will spoil you. We are leaving on a trip tonight to the mid west, the RB is the only plane I am taking with me.
Awesome! Have a great trip and happy flying.
Jul 13, 2011, 01:25 PM
Heli and E-Plane
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patron

...I did darken up the yellow a bit and put some black stripes on the bottom of the wing so I could see it a little better.

Mike
Mike nice looking plane, what did you use to darken up the yellow? Also could you post a photo of the bottom and what you used for the black strips?

Thank you!


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale 1/6 rare bear thunder tiger mikeeternal Aircraft - General - Miscellaneous (FS/W) 3 Dec 03, 2010 02:06 PM
Sold thunder tiger rare bear ARF and SPE 26 gas engine 48chebbie Aircraft - Fuel - Airplanes (FS/W) 4 Nov 04, 2010 11:02 AM
For Sale Thunder Tiger Rare Bear Danjuan Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 8 Sep 20, 2010 09:43 AM
For Sale Aerolock Models Hangover 34-inch laser cut kit NIB $47 Shipped. DFW area TexasJohn Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 9 Sep 16, 2010 10:32 AM
New to Electric but want to build Rare Bear ARF Coop Scale Kit/Scratch Built 0 Sep 09, 2002 07:39 PM