May 16, 2012, 08:06 AM

Camera orientation

Ok guys, I have my Quad set up and ready for my first FPV flight.

Should I have the camera pointing slightly down?

Should I stay low and slow or just go for it?

Dave..
to remove ads between posts
May 16, 2012, 02:32 PM
WOT happened?
Quote:
Originally Posted by skellator
try pulling the jack slowly sometime it need some pull to have video, as few ppl posted before
That worked! Thanks!
May 28, 2012, 04:58 PM
Your attitude is your alt
I just received my Fat Shark Dominators Saturday. I flew with them on Sunday and found that the eye cups easily fall off as has been widely reported. The focus wasn't good for my eyes, (I wear bifocals). Ok here is a little trick you can use if you're like me and the Fat Shark Dominators are out of focus. My eyes have really changed and the Doms were badly out of focus. I went to WalMart and bought some cheap 3+ reading glasses. (your eyes may be different so try on a few diffrent pair and see if you can see clearly out to 7 feet, this will be the strength you need) . I then used my Dremel tool and cut the plastic lenses until they just covered the lense opening on the Dominators. (Note, you want to get the narrower glasses so they will fit the width which is 7/10's of and inch). I then used some UHU glue and lightly tacked them down to the opening. Now I can see perfectly as if I had 20/20 vision while using my Fat Sharks. Total cost $4.00 Dollars! By the way the lenses that Fat Shark sells won't work in all cases and they cost $19.00 Dollars. The good thing about UHU glue is it can be peeled off and doesn't melt plastic and is foam safe as well, the glue leaves no residue so if you ever want to sell your goggles you can remove the lenses and glue no problem! I used the UHU to glue the eye cups in as well and I don't recommend using Super glue as it will glue the two halfs together making it impossible to open it up for repairs if ever required and it just looks bad.
Last edited by Gary Morris; May 28, 2012 at 05:21 PM.
May 28, 2012, 08:46 PM
Because gas is for BBQ's
Good tips Gary. Was going to glue my eye cups using CA but that sounds much better.
May 28, 2012, 09:03 PM
Nakelp
Aquarium type silicon will do the same trick. Or any silicon in tube for that matter.
I have mine for a year now and never had the eye caps come off yet even in winter where there was a hat on the way.
May 28, 2012, 11:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Morris
I just received my Fat Shark Dominators Saturday. I flew with them on Sunday and found that the eye cups easily fall off as has been widely reported. The focus wasn't good for my eyes, (I wear bifocals). Ok here is a little trick you can use if you're like me and the Fat Shark Dominators are out of focus. My eyes have really changed and the Doms were badly out of focus. I went to WalMart and bought some cheap 3+ reading glasses. (your eyes may be different so try on a few diffrent pair and see if you can see clearly out to 7 feet, this will be the strength you need) . I then used my Dremel tool and cut the plastic lenses until they just covered the lense opening on the Dominators. (Note, you want to get the narrower glasses so they will fit the width which is 7/10's of and inch). I then used some UHU glue and lightly tacked them down to the opening. Now I can see perfectly as if I had 20/20 vision while using my Fat Sharks. Total cost $4.00 Dollars! By the way the lenses that Fat Shark sells won't work in all cases and they cost $19.00 Dollars. The good thing about UHU glue is it can be peeled off and doesn't melt plastic and is foam safe as well, the glue leaves no residue so if you ever want to sell your goggles you can remove the lenses and glue no problem! I used the UHU to glue the eye cups in as well and I don't recommend using Super glue as it will glue the two halfs together making it impossible to open it up for repairs if ever required and it just looks bad.
I am near sighted, and recently just got the diopter lenses for my dominators. I can't read 1" high text if its more than 5-7 feet away. I put the -6 lenses in and hooked them up to my GoPro, and the image was even blurrier. I'm hoping one of the other sets does the trick, otherwise I guess my only option is to see my optometrist about getting some custom cut with my own prescription.
May 29, 2012, 12:25 AM
Ikaruswannab
Quote:
Any photo available of the mod???
May 29, 2012, 12:51 AM
9W2DLR
Quote:
great idea, I have 2 pair of glasses I guess the other one will be sacrifice for the fatshark, and I guess other ppl wont be able to use my goggle if I glued fix in the eye cup
May 29, 2012, 07:50 AM
I'll take some photos tonight and post them since I feel this is the very best solution for many people who can't use the standard diopters that Fat Shark sells. It does require that you buy plastic lenses and you need to find a pair that will let you see well at about 7 feet distance. Use the saw wheel that comes with the Dremel tool and work slowly and be careful you don't cut your fingers! The saw wheel only cuts straight lines which is good cause that's all you need. I first tried to use a hand saw and razor blade, the plastic is too tough and you risk damaging the lense.
WalMart has a 3 pack of womens reading glasses which are the correct width, you just need to cut off the ends and they will lay flat over the opening on the Fat Sharks. I'm really happy I found a simple solution since I love the clarity and look of the Fat Shark Dominators. If anyone has a question let me know, I'll be glad to help! The UHU Por glue is sold at both Hobby Lobbies, the craft store and the model store carry it, it's critical you use UHU Por because other cements will melt the lense and the body of the Fat Shark Dominators.

Gary
Last edited by Gary Morris; May 29, 2012 at 08:03 AM.
May 29, 2012, 07:59 AM
9W2DLR
Picture would be great, i recently replaced my glasses with new one due to broken frame so i have extra lens for the fatshark
May 29, 2012, 06:43 PM
www.gunnphotoservices.com
Thread OP
Nice work Gary. Thanks for sharing!
Latest blog entry: www.gunnphotoservices.com
May 29, 2012, 07:45 PM
9W2DLR
Nice share gary! thanks
May 29, 2012, 07:57 PM
Your welcome guys glad I could help those of us that don't have perfect vision.
Jun 01, 2012, 05:14 AM
Is there a black boarder in the dominator imagefield?

Quick Reply