This thread is privately moderated by CaliDave, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jan 07, 2011, 07:25 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

My FPV Start

My FPV Start:

Iíve flown RC planes with others and in late 2009 got the most entry of planesÖ the Harbor Freight ďYellow BeeĒÖ 3 Channels, no control surfaces. Itís basically a powered glider for those who donít know (and something I doubt real RC flyers would even consider an RC plane).

Well, after crashing a few (we had some at work) I took the spare parts and modified the original plane to be more stable, and carry a keychain camera. Then after seeing the keychain camera footage my mind began to entertain the idea of FPV (not realizing it has been going on for years now). Still, with no one I knew doing FPV and me not really having a usable plane it was another back burner project...

Until a coworker of mine forwarded me the Trappy NYC FPV video on December 5th, 2010.

In all honestly, thatís the video that sparked my interest into this amazing hobby... and there are so many more by a bunch of pilots.

From there I found RCGroups and the many talented, experienced folks who frequent the forums. I also began to learn about the communityís feelings on FPV flying, concerns, opinions and general politics. Some was fun, some was not, and in the end, RCG is just like most forums. I like hearing both sides, donít like childish fighting (some sarcasm is fun), and seem to fall somewhere in the middle of most extremes posts.

Initially I had the same challenges figuring out what everyone was talking about and doing my homework, you know, general newb stuff.

Well, as of January 7th Iím in the middle of my East Star build. My FPV gear from ReadyMadeRC comes Monday (Tim @ ReadyMadeRC was a big help), and the rest from China (Hobby King) is waiting with the folks at US Customs. I'm basing my build off what others have found to work and then venturing out to my own mods. My basic EZ setup will be the one Sander suggests in this topic. Also using some of the design ideas from the ReadyMadeRC EZ posted.

Iíve sorted out what will be in the first plane, made an excel sheet to track total costs as well as cost of the plane I could lose. Glad I did, as the sobering truth is that Iíll need to start with a line of sight EZ first and make sure the plane is proven as a LOS flyer.

Weíll see how long until I feel good about strapping my GoPro onto my plane (my Jeep scares me enough!).

So, thatís my start.

However, technically Iím flying my A.R.Drone in FPV, and on the last day of the year I flew/recorded my modified ďYellow BeeĒ with a wireless security cam. I monitored on a ground station I'm working on until I get my Goggles. It is very dirty, but technically I was able to fly someÖ so I got my beginners permit in 2010! Haha

I wonít be offended it you canít watch it all.

I plan to keep my build documented here as I finalize and would enjoy any feedback others have on my FPV adventures.

The last 2 pictures are my EZ build and my video station in the early stages:
Last edited by CaliDave; Jun 30, 2011 at 12:05 PM.
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply