New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 25, 2003, 08:49 PM
Find More Posts by Jim W

12 volt power supply

I am trying to find a good way to power my triton battery charger. I have a 12 volt power supply from Radio shack but it is unregulated and puts out 16 volts which my Triton will not handle. I then switched to a 12 volt lawn tractor battery charged from a 500 ma wall transformer. This is not a good solution becaucse I cannot charge both my 12 cell 2600 mAh one after the other. The best solution would be to buy or construct a voltage regulator for my power supply. Or buy a regulated power supply that can handle 5 amps which I cannot find a source for.

What do y'all use to charge battery packs?

Thanks

Jim Weirauch
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 25, 2003, 08:56 PM
Find More Posts by misskimo
TeamTP,Minicopter,Spartan
you can buy a 12 v power suppy that puts out about the same as a 12 v car battery , which is about 13v , up here in Alaska everyone has a 12v power supply , they hook a CB up to it or a VHF radio , the kind that go in trucks or boats , best to get one that can handle 10 amps or more Tony
Old Jul 25, 2003, 09:05 PM
hey , heres the specks on mine
SemlexAmerica model # sec 1212
in 120v 60hz 2.5 a
output 13.8 vdc 10A
distr. in Canada
made in taiwan

huh? get the name "america" , the the distr. "canada" , then the maker , taiwan , but it works great except I cant use 2 chargers at the same time unless I charge at around 4A each

Tony
Old Jul 25, 2003, 09:10 PM
Find More Posts by Jim W
thanx--I'll see if I can find it onthe web

Jim
Old Jul 25, 2003, 09:12 PM
Find More Posts by domlou
I got mine from here :

Nice PS and a good price.

http://www.millionbuy.com/caudio-kit-sup.html

The 10AMP power supply is only $35
Old Jul 25, 2003, 09:13 PM
hey , I was hecking if I could find it on msn search sure anough there it was , and look at some of the refurbished ones by them , good price on the 20 a one 1220 http://www.samlexamerica.com/samlexhome.htm
Old Jul 25, 2003, 09:53 PM
Find More Posts by gmaster
Hooked Heli Human
i use a 25A DC Power Supply from Radio Shack with my Triton and it works fine.. weird about the problem you are having..
Old Jul 25, 2003, 10:18 PM
Find More Posts by Jim W
Thanks guys. that gives me a couple of good choices.

Jim
Old Jul 26, 2003, 03:13 AM
Find More Posts by Fred Bronk
Our Daddy and Heli Junkie
I use a 1000 amp spiral wound 12v battery and a 25 amp Radio shack PS on my Orbit V6 and Pro chargers.

I am moving this to Batteries and Chargers.

FB
Old Jul 26, 2003, 07:37 AM
Find More Posts by RC Man
A man with too many toys
Universal Radio has a good selection and excellent service.

http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/hamps.html
Old Jul 27, 2003, 03:32 AM
Find More Posts by OzzieFlyer
a lot of people use an old PC power supply. They are generally 12V regulated. The only thing to watch out for is that some are switchmode so need a load before it will turn on. Not sure how you get around that problem with a switchmode power supply. This all got too hard for me so I bought a cheap 13.8V regulated power supply off ebay.

Also, I am told that you shoulg get 13.8V instead of 12V as if you want to charge 3S Lipolys, you won't be able to. I am not sure if this is correct, but have heard it a few times so have no reason not to believe it.
Old Jul 27, 2003, 05:55 AM
Find More Posts by hansen
Hi,
The easiest way, is to go to your local used pc store. Buy a pc power supply, with at least 200w and a min of 8a on the 12v output. Cost me around 10$. I have built two, and they work great. Charging my packs at 5 amps with my power peak infi. 2 with no problem.

Regards