Microkopter-> OpenPilot - RC Groups
This thread is privately moderated by FredericG, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jan 07, 2011, 05:48 AM
Discussion

Microkopter-> OpenPilot

Some time ago I lost interest in the Mikrokopter project due to a set of reasons:
  • I tried to understand the stabilization settings better. I studied the code and was shocked to see how unreadable and dirty the code (at least of the FC board) was. People already had put lots of effort in cleaning up the code. To my astonishment, this cleaner code was not adopted by the main developers, they obviously did not consider this as important...
    Also the implementation of the PID controllers was very hard to understand. Tried to analyze it together with PID controller experts and I just gave up
  • Some of the navigation code is not available and has severe restrictions for FPV. The official reason is safety, but this is bull as they have published videos where they have a MK travel very long distances. In an open forum discussion the MK-developers where very arrogant.

I discovered the OpenPilot project and started helping there.

http://newwiki.openpilot.org/
http://forums.openpilot.org/

Unfortunately, since September last year, the amount of time for my hobby was very limited. Over the Xmas holiday I started working on OpenPilot again and converted one of my MK quads to OpenPilot!

My first OpenPilot powered quad (on MK frame) (1 min 34 sec)

Currently, the stabilization works well and navigation is under development. The hardware is not publically available yet.
to remove ads between posts