Jan 07, 2011, 08:08 PM
Thread OP
It would not surprise me if the dimensions are off slightly. I usually draw in mm, metric is so much easier to use. This drawing was converted from mm to inches and we have both used a few programs to get to our final product.

Anyway I went back and checked the dims in ACAD out to 4 decimal places in inches. The spar slot is 0.1181 X 0.3171. I can't tell for sure where you are measuring the horizontal dimension from so I checked two places. If it's from the upper outside corner of the horizontal spars it is 3.8119. If it's the widest point of that section it's 3.8201.

If you are wondering why the horizontal spars are slightly angled, I don't know. It appears that they are perpendicular to the outside edge of the former which is angled at that point.

Got to get dinner now so it'll be a bit. But if you want I'll replace the spars with standard inch sizes, say 1/8 X 1/4 and you can see how that looks

SteveB
to remove ads between posts
Jan 07, 2011, 11:16 PM
No need to re-do... the slots match EXACTLY. I think the slight angle of the horizontal stringers are due to where they are on the former. They appear to be perpendicular to the side where they are placed.

This weekend I'll go through Devfuse and DevFuseFoam to see which one I'll be going with. If I have any questions based on my fiddling, I'll email the author.

Steve, and dpot, THANKS for the info
Dave
Jan 08, 2011, 05:56 AM
thanks steve for the info
Jan 08, 2011, 09:45 AM
Thread OP
I can honestly say that I've been very happy with the software and support I've received. Glad I could help by providing some examples. I'm sure that after you review the capabilities of the different programs that you will find at least one that meets your needs.

SteveB
Jan 08, 2011, 10:02 AM
Hi, I'm stefano, the father of Profili and devFus/devCad applications.
Just a brief note about the customization of lightening holes.
I added that feature to devFus Foam, as the spars settings are limitated there.
Using devFus (or devFus Cam) if you need to make some custom lightening holes I suggest to use spars. You can limit the spars in a formers range and apply the Phantom properties if you want they are not visible in the 3D preview. Using this simple trick you can apply one (or more) free placed and sized hole to each former

Thank you for your patience with my applications, sometime they appear not so easy to use, but, believe me, to make a simple to use but powerfull application is not so easy! (not for me, perhaps......)
Aug 08, 2014, 07:50 AM
The wheels touch down FIRST??
Gents.... I have a problem and it's doing my head in.

I have a pretty major change between 2 cross sections (formers), and I cannot figure out how to get them to transition properly.

The intakes on my aircraft finish rather abruptly at 90 degrees to the fuselage - see pics.

BJ
Aug 08, 2014, 07:57 AM
This area translates to the area around Formers 13 & 14 in my DevFus Foam model.

Former 13 is where the wing glove ends and the intakes should start.

However, I can't seem to render the 3D properly using the Former sections that I have.

The Former 13 to 14 section does all sorts of weird things. I've tried different combinations of hard and soft control points. Even tried to put a 'blank' former right at the junction of the end of F13 and the start of F14 - but it still tries to 'fade out' former 14 and blend the intakes in on an angle into F13 (areas A & B in the 3D shots).

I've supplied some screenshots of the Formers and their parametes from DevFus Foam.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BJ
Aug 08, 2014, 12:34 PM
You must use two very near formers where you have such a sharp transaction, and ignore the block surrounded by them
Aug 09, 2014, 02:51 AM
two formers
Last edited by dpot; Jan 08, 2019 at 11:26 AM.
Aug 09, 2014, 07:27 PM
Thanks Dpot

Just another question, if I may.

What's the difference between setting a former as 'Control Former!' or not?

BJ
Aug 10, 2014, 03:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJ64
Thanks Dpot

BJ
Using control formers you can set all type of control points.
Using other types the main points will be interpolated using the nearest surroinding control points. But you can adjust custom control points.
Aug 10, 2014, 05:34 AM
Mmmm... still don't quite understand the concept, Stefano.

Could you perhaps elaborate a bit more?

I think I may be getting a few unexpected 3D renders from having too many hard-points in the wrong places (??)

BJ
Aug 10, 2014, 12:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJ64
Thanks Dpot

BJ
if you have four formers in a fuz and 1 and 4 are control formers then 2 and 3 will morph the shape between 1 and 4 depending on what you set them to
liner
constant
or proportional
and that applies to upper and lower parts of former

when i start i set a former on each Chang of shape on the fuz as full control and then add more corner or smooth control points to shape the former to what you need then add formers after to support the thing you need to in the design
if you add all the formers at the start it gets confusing and you will get cresses in the render

devfuzfoam (4 min 49 sec)
Last edited by dpot; Aug 10, 2014 at 02:39 PM.
Aug 15, 2014, 08:28 PM
Thanks for your explanation, Dpot.

I've only every uses 'Control Formers' so far - haven't played around with the other types yet.

But then again, just about every former on my F111 has got some crazy compound curves and sudden changes of direction, so I'm finding the need to use a fair few 'hard' (red) control points.

I could probably use some of the other former types for the nose, but that part has come out rather well as-is.

I'll keep fiddling...

BJ
May 16, 2019, 08:49 AM
Last edited by BJ64; May 16, 2019 at 09:55 PM.

Quick Reply