This thread is privately moderated by jbc, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jan 05, 2011, 02:38 AM
jbc
jbc
WHO's your DADDY!!!
Thread OP
Mini-Review

Corsair F4U by FMS

FMS have won hearts again with their release of the F4U Corsair! As soon as I heard this was on their list of planes to be released I just knew I had to have one and much I my delight I was NOT disappointed

The not so good : I had a few QC issues however which I feel I should mention. On one of the gear doors I had a little tab break off which in the end, I simply super glued back on. This tab is responsible to help control the opening and closing of the gear doors and without it it simply won't work. I'm not sure if it happened at the factory or via shipping The next problem was that I had to remove the engine cowl but a part of it was glued to the fuselage and it got damaged when I removed it to fit the motor. This was due to glue seeping out of the join and onto the cowl during manufacture. The last thing was that the heat generated inside the canopy is causing the foam to blister slightly, only a cosmetic thing but still one that you should be aware. Tinting the canopy might help avoid this.

Something that's worth mentioning however it's not really a QC issue is that that even though the canopy and battery area is quite large, the access needed to get to the forward battery area is awkward.

The power system : Once assembled this thing will give you many hours of flying pleasure she really does look amazing in the air with that 'Gull' wing! I chose the stock 600kv motor that comes with the FMS Mustang over the 520kv motor which normally comes with it so I'd have a little more power.
I use a 60Amp ESC and run a separate 4Amp BEC to help keep things healthy and kept the 13 x 9 3blade prop that it comes with. This combination gave me a great combination of power vs speed vs amp draw and I ran 2 x 2200 4S 30C batteries in parallel which I fly for around 7mins and have approximately 3.85V left in each cell

I get 723Watts for 49.92Amps at 13.73Volts which settle to around 44Amps and 630watts. I mainly fly 50-60% throttle which allows me to do any maneuver plus gives great vertical.

Build : I used HXT900 servos for ailerons and rudder and a HXT 14g metal gear for the elevator. I used a combination of 5min epoxy, foam safe and the supplied FMS glue for all necessary joints.

Overall : YES.......FMS have done it again and I'm gald they have! they've reproduced a classic warbird and done a good job. It may lack a little scale here and there, with some minor QC issues which I'm sure will get sorted as refined versions are released. These don't detract for what is essentially an excellently priced large foamie warbird that does everything it should and can be flown by an beginner/intermediate pilot.
If you like Corsairs and you like foamies, especially big ones...then go out and get one!

Thanks go out to Sandancer/Gary for use of one of his photos.

Here's the full Flight and Box Review video:

FMS Airfield CORSAIR F4U (Modified): Full Flight & Box Review (10 min 25 sec)

Video showing retracts with sequenced doors, retractable tailwheel and installed flaps Thanks LICobra/Tony for use of this video.

FMS Corsair with retractable tail wheel (1 min 3 sec)
Last edited by jbc; Jan 05, 2011 at 03:21 AM.
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply