Nov 16, 2019, 09:38 PM
I Used To Have More Free Time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike14B25
No sir,i did not. What was it? So,you owned the plane for 3 years. Did you ever fly it? What mods have you done?
If you will,do you mind calling me?
864-624-3525
Man, I hate to admit it, but it was a hangar queen while I owned it... no flights, no repairs no nothing.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 16, 2019, 09:40 PM
I Used To Have More Free Time!
The livery is called "Yananyi Dreaming".
You're not far from Charlotte. When you get her flying, let's get together and fly your Yananyi Dreaming with my soon to be FW Fed Ex 737.
Do you fly at a club field?
Nov 16, 2019, 10:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRealEstateGuy
You're not far from Charlotte. When you get her flying, let's get together and fly your Yananyi Dreaming with my soon to be FW Fed Ex 737.
Yessir. Black Sheep Squadron. And,we have a paved Runway. 6.5 miles from my house. Come on down anytime. I can't believe that you never flew it. Its such a nice plane. After all the work he did,to fly it once or twice....what a shame
Nov 16, 2019, 11:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRealEstateGuy
Off topic, sorta, here is our field,and,the 2nd flight of my VQ Warbirds 1700 A-26 Invader. Balsa,fiberglass, and plastic. 13 lbs. Powered by Tigercat motors and esc's. Flys with 2,4s,3300 batteries. I can get 6+minutes out of it.

VQ MODELS 1700MM A-26 (1 min 19 sec)
Nov 16, 2019, 11:29 PM
Fly and let Fly!
Looks like a lot more wing area than 737 .. Wing loading is more a priority than cell power I would think....
Nov 17, 2019, 12:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocg
Looks like a lot more wing area than 737 .. Wing loading is more a priority than cell power I would think....
Cocg. Would you agree that weight is a factor? I'm not sure, but i believe that the 737 weighs 5+-lbs less than my A-26?
And,on another note,i see folks getting between 5-10 minutes on the 737,so,with my setup, and the fact that i fly like an old man (because I am) I'm hoping to get 6+minutes out of the 737. I'm going to fly with 2,3200,4s batteries,the same batteries i use in my A-26. I also have 2 4500,4s batteries that i use in my P61. I'll probably use one of the 4500's for my maiden,with timer set at 3 minutes. I hope to maiden it next weekend.
Nov 17, 2019, 02:23 PM
Fly and let Fly!
Mike 14... Old guys rule..!! You have heard that.!!
To me weight on this particular plane is more of an issue than others.. I know for my 1st one "got up there" being porky.
I made this one simpler and have a dramatically better flight habit as a result on 2 4s 3300,s .. Getting the longer 7 plus minute flights.. My goal this time around was to make the slowest fling piece I could.. Good luck on your maiden .. Post us.!!
Nov 17, 2019, 02:56 PM
Mach One
I guess when I made mine I was not too concerned with weight but I think I should have. Mine is close to 14 lbs! But the 6s system handles it fine. My next one - and yes there is another NIB kit waiting in my storage will focus on being as light as possible, but will still fly on 6s - thats my standard voltage on my EDFs so don't want to sway away from that. Alphonso sent me a pair of FMS 12 blade EDFs that I promised it will go in the new bird - those are lighter and probably have a better performance than the 14 blade ones I currently have - which I am very disappointed at how bad they were balanced at the factory. Alo, there is alot of foam than can be trimmed out - I recall someone - (perhaps Manny?) managed to take of 75g worth of worthless foam from inside this model. If you look at all the attachments to this thread there you will find pictures.
Latest blog entry: ESC and BEC Steup
Nov 18, 2019, 10:54 AM
I've been watching all the videos of the new Freewing A37. It looks like it has "almost"copied the Windrider. There are some differences ,but it's close.
I live only 45 minutes from Joe Nall, and they flew-lost-two at Nall-In-The Fall. I've got a "sort of" inside connection to a few folks that had hands on this,and both planes had problems. From what i was told,the rx in the plane keep losing connection, and the problem seemed to be the red wire from the esc's. The problem was reported to the manufacturer, so hopefully it was fixed.
My point is that any of ya'll that are adding it to your hanger ,be aware of this,disconnect the red wires,use bec. Or,they may have already corrected it. Dont know.
Nov 18, 2019, 11:18 AM
Mach One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike14B25
I've been watching all the videos of the new Freewing A37. It looks like it has "almost"copied the Windrider. There are some differences ,but it's close.
I live only 45 minutes from Joe Nall, and they flew-lost-two at Nall-In-The Fall. I've got a "sort of" inside connection to a few folks that had hands on this,and both planes had problems. From what i was told,the rx in the plane keep losing connection, and the problem seemed to be the red wire from the esc's. The problem was reported to the manufacturer, so hopefully it was fixed.
My point is that any of ya'll that are adding it to your hanger ,be aware of this,disconnect the red wires,use bec. Or,they may have already corrected it. Dont know.
On any multi motor model if they use ESCs with internal BECs they must disconnect all but one or use an external BEC (my choice always). Otherwise these BECs will be fighting each other and not be able to control and causing problems. No sure what might happen but perhaps it can burn the RX....
Nov 18, 2019, 05:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain MoMo
On any multi motor model if they use ESCs with internal BECs they must disconnect all but one or use an external BEC (my choice always). Otherwise these BECs will be fighting each other and not be able to control and causing problems. No sure what might happen but perhaps it can burn the RX....
Agreed. Not sure why they didn't do that at the factory, but, from what I've been told by the person standing there at Joe Nall,that worked in the "hut"(at the bottom of the field)that pictures were taken of the red wires and sent to manufacture. Now,this is 2nd handed info,but its better than what's going on in Congress. Lol
Nov 18, 2019, 08:19 PM
6 months to finish a rtf
Mike14B25 captain MoMo

ESC'S hopefully i can try to tell you about them

BEC (Battery Elimination Circuit) is a term that describes a specific electronic component. As we use it in conjunction with an ESC it says that the ESC can supply power for the receiver and, thereby, eliminate the need for a receiver battery

The BEC is usually one of two types, either a linear type or a switching mode type. And if they do not say which type it is, it will most probably be a linear type BEC

Linear BEC - Converts the input voltage to a lower voltage by using resistance to drop the voltage. The excess voltage is dissipated as heat. This is the cheapest and least capable type of BEC

Switching Mode BEC - Converts the input voltage to a lower voltage by switching it on and off at a rate that, after the voltage is smoothed and averaged, is a lower voltage.
The switching mode BEC is the more expensive of the two to build and it will normally handle a higher input voltage than will a linear BEC simply because it does not generate heat in the course of dropping the voltage.

So in multi engine airplanes if you use 2 linear Esc's you would need to disable one BEC by removing the red wire.
If You wanted to use a separate ubec or sbec you would disable both Esc's

Now if you had a multi engine model with switching Esc's that WOULD NOT BE NECESSARY and you can add
a SBEC also without disabling the motor esc's

My WR 737 flew with 2 switching esc's and a separate 10 amp sbec running from a 2 cell 1000 ma lipo
Nov 18, 2019, 09:36 PM
Mach One
Quote:
Originally Posted by pulsery2k1
Mike14B25 captain MoMo

ESC'S hopefully i can try to tell you about them

BEC (Battery Elimination Circuit) is a term that describes a specific electronic component. As we use it in conjunction with an ESC it says that the ESC can supply power for the receiver and, thereby, eliminate the need for a receiver battery

The BEC is usually one of two types, either a linear type or a switching mode type. And if they do not say which type it is, it will most probably be a linear type BEC

Linear BEC - Converts the input voltage to a lower voltage by using resistance to drop the voltage. The excess voltage is dissipated as heat. This is the cheapest and least capable type of BEC

Switching Mode BEC - Converts the input voltage to a lower voltage by switching it on and off at a rate that, after the voltage is smoothed and averaged, is a lower voltage.
The switching mode BEC is the more expensive of the two to build and it will normally handle a higher input voltage than will a linear BEC simply because it does not generate heat in the course of dropping the voltage.

So in multi engine airplanes if you use 2 linear Esc's you would need to disable one BEC by removing the red wire.
If You wanted to use a separate ubec or sbec you would disable both Esc's

Now if you had a multi engine model with switching Esc's that WOULD NOT BE NECESSARY and you can add
a SBEC also without disabling the motor esc's

My WR 737 flew with 2 switching esc's and a separate 10 amp sbec running from a 2 cell 1000 ma lipo
Thank you for the explanation. The SBEC or the switching type is nothing but a voltage regulator. I donít like having multiple regulators trying to set one system voltage. I donít think itís good design, even if it can be done.
Nov 18, 2019, 10:36 PM
6 months to finish a rtf
captain MoMo

well real multi engine aircraft do the same thing and have no problems .
what i was trying to do was make my model more fail safe I also used 2
lipos running in parallel with a single buss -going away from the traditional totally independent
left and right power systems as experience has taught that in a multi engine model
using independent flight battery's -one battery can fail leaving the model to fly on the
remaining fan -which has a much higher rate loss of control and ensuing crash
then models that loose both and then have to make a forced landing which is also
why I run my Ubec from it's own power source
Which is exactly what the US Airways pilot did when he hit the geese and was forced
to land in the Hudson river - first thing he did was turn on the APU which is like a UBEC
with its own battery
Last edited by pulsery2k1; Nov 18, 2019 at 10:41 PM.
Nov 18, 2019, 10:55 PM
Fly and let Fly!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pulsery2k1
captain MoMo

well real multi engine aircraft do the same thing and have no problems .
what i was trying to do was make my model more fail safe I also used 2
lipos running in parallel with a single buss -going away from the traditional totally independent
left and right power systems as experience has taught that in a multi engine model
using independent flight battery's -one battery can fail leaving the model to fly on the
remaining fan -which has a much higher rate loss of control and ensuing crash
then models that loose both and then have to make a forced landing which is also
why I run my Ubec from it's own power source
Which is exactly what the US Airways pilot did when he hit the geese and was forced
to land in the Hudson river - first thing he did was turn on the APU which is like a UBEC
with its own battery
That's how I power my engines ! 2 parallel one separate for surfaces..
Fortunately no bird strikes for there are no nearby rivers..

Quick Reply