Thread Tools
Aug 21, 2012, 12:13 AM
Registered User
Doug W's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pannoch RC
Just finished a dry fit of the nose gear door mod. All a pressure fit at this stage.
Do you have to reverse the sequencer if you live in the northern hemisphere?
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Aug 21, 2012, 12:20 AM
Paul B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug W
Do you have to reverse the sequencer if you live in the northern hemisphere?
It's funny you say that because I actually did have to reverse it. This sequencer (FMS 1700mm P-51 Mustang) operates in the opposite direction to the FMS T-28 sequencer. Who would have thought!!!
Aug 21, 2012, 06:24 AM
Registered User
Ming, you posted these photos a long time ago. You never did explain how you attach the tail to the rest of the fuse. Tabs & bolts/screws? Or magnets perhaps?

Whenever I get mine together I'd love to be able to take the tail off. I'm thinking of using magnets like I've done on my 80'' foamy P-40.
Aug 21, 2012, 12:58 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
Vapor Trails's Avatar
that is what I call some nice engineering in making all those sections removable!

well done (ming)
Aug 21, 2012, 02:52 PM
6 months to finish a rtf
pulsery2k1's Avatar
On mine the stabs and rudder are removable , the stab's ( elevators)
work from a single servo in the fuse and the control arms hold the stabs
the rudder is held by a wege lock and long screw from the bottem
and still it takes up alot of room .
Aug 21, 2012, 04:31 PM
Registered User
Well I glued the fuse together last night.
I use Gorilla glue that was posted on page 50 Post 743 by Spyro
The glue is really nice and sets up fast. I taped it together over night and It seems to hold well.
The Gorilla glue tends to expand a bit. On some of the seams it oozed out.
I think just useing a sharp exacto and some sand paper I should be in good shape.
My roll of Vinyl was sitting on my front porch yesterday. So some filling and sanding and I think I will be ready for the task of covering.

I did ask this in a earlier post...... I ordered the fans from Ming with the jet. Are they going to be "ok" to use?? Is the quality decent??
Has anyone else used them??

Thanks Guys

Hoss
Aug 21, 2012, 04:59 PM
Paul B
Last night must have been the night for gluing. I too glued the fuselage together. I tested a few glue types before going with PVA wood glue.

The stock fans are fine in quality, although I changed to a more powerful arrangement.

Paul
Aug 22, 2012, 06:42 PM
Registered User
I must say for a styrofoam model the parts sure interlock nicely.
I did some minor sanding to the fuse this evening and used a light weight filler in some of the dents and seams. Waiting for it to dry so I can give it a final sanding before I apply the vinyl.
I don't remember reading in any of the post that a primer should be applied before putting on the vinyl.
I think I will vinyl mine in sections like Doug W did on page 244 post 3658.
Spyro did the whole top section in 1 piece. I don't no if I'm that talented
Well I keep posted on how the progress is going.

Hoss

Does Ming still follow this forum??
Aug 22, 2012, 07:47 PM
Don't Move I've Dropped My Nut
bamaguy's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by lil hoss
I don't remember reading in any of the post that a primer should be applied before putting on the vinyl.
I think I will vinyl mine in sections like Doug W did on page 244 post 3658.
Spyro did the whole top section in 1 piece. I don't no if I'm that talented
Well I keep posted on how the progress is going.

Hoss

Does Ming still follow this forum??
Smooth and clean is all the vinyl needs! I wiped mine down with lacquer thinner to remove any mold release that might be present. Yes, LACQUER THINNER! About the only thing EPO foam does not like is excessive heat and fire

I would not attempt the one piece method without a helper to very carefully use heat gun to stretch the vinyl as you form it around the nose and tail of the fuse. Ya got to be real careful as too much heat will give the EPO a bad case of acne pock marks. They actually use a blow torch when appling this stuff on automobiles!
Aug 22, 2012, 08:11 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaguy
Smooth and clean is all the vinyl needs! I wiped mine down with lacquer thinner to remove any mold release that might be present. Yes, LACQUER THINNER! About the only thing EPO foam does not like is excessive heat and fire

I would not attempt the one piece method without a helper to very carefully use heat gun to stretch the vinyl as you form it around the nose and tail of the fuse. Ya got to be real careful as too much heat will give the EPO a bad case of acne pock marks. They actually use a blow torch when appling this stuff on automobiles!
Thanks Bamaguy.
Wow... Lacquar thinner. I would think it would melt it.. BUT,, I will try it.
Rather than use my monocote gun I will use a hair dryer..
I do thank you for the advice

Hoss
Aug 22, 2012, 08:59 PM
Ming's Avatar
Quote:
Does Ming still follow this forum??
Yes, I am keep watching.

Ming Lou
Aug 23, 2012, 04:22 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ming
Yes, I am keep watching.

Ming Lou

But I guess you don't answer questions though.
Aug 23, 2012, 06:07 AM
Registered User
Future Wingz's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by lil hoss
I must say for a styrofoam model the parts sure interlock nicely.
I did some minor sanding to the fuse this evening and used a light weight filler in some of the dents and seams. Waiting for it to dry so I can give it a final sanding before I apply the vinyl.
I don't remember reading in any of the post that a primer should be applied before putting on the vinyl.
I think I will vinyl mine in sections like Doug W did on page 244 post 3658.
Spyro did the whole top section in 1 piece. I don't no if I'm that talented
Well I keep posted on how the progress is going.

Hoss

Does Ming still follow this forum??
Very good progress Hoss! I'm still waiting for my kit. Hopefully I should have it by next week!

I'm quite grateful to all the guys here and everyone's sharing of a lot of lessons that newbies like myself shall tremendously benefit from. However, I must mention that both Doug W and Sypro's instructions have been exceedingly awesome!

Cheers Guys! Keep up the great work!

Vic
Aug 23, 2012, 07:24 AM
Registered User

Lacquer thinner??????


Wow,, I hate to disagree with you Bamaguy.
I finished sanding down my fuse this morning.
I was going to take your advice and wipe it down with lacquer thinner. Just for the heck of it I tried it on the foam box the kit came in. It melted it like it was next to a heat gun..
Are you sure it was lacquer thinner? OR.... Is there different types of laquer thinners that I don't no about?
I think I might just wash it down with soap and water.

Hoss
Aug 23, 2012, 08:53 AM
Paul B
Maybe it was an Acrylic thinner??
I used that on mine without any problems.


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Windrider Boeing 737 Ming Scale Kit/Scratch Built 638 Mar 10, 2016 12:41 PM
Discussion Windrider Boeing 737-700 could be a good glider Ming Slope 63 Jul 02, 2015 09:31 PM
New Product Boeing 737 philipcmf Foamy EDFs 83 Jan 16, 2011 09:03 AM
Boeing 737 jermaine Foamies (Kits) 6 Apr 08, 2002 11:21 PM