Jun 17, 2012, 01:05 PM
Registered User
carrerars's Avatar
@Derek
All the best for the maiden of your beauty.
We're all with you.

Just one question: when you say mid root do you mean half the length the wing has at the point where it hits the body?
(can yo tell us the length measured from the tailing edge?)

(sorry for my English, I'm swiss - lots of cheese with lots of holes, you know...)

Thank you
Markus
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Jun 17, 2012, 04:54 PM
Paul B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug W View Post
Are you glassing and vinyl'ing?
Yes Doug, I've decided to glass the majority of the model and add vinyl trimming.

Paul
Jun 17, 2012, 06:36 PM
Registered User
Hawaiian Flyin's Avatar
Look Guys! I have twins!
Anybody need Delta decals for their 737 Just pay shipping. USA shipping only!!!!
Also have 4 of the Aloha decals. Aloha decals about 20" long by 4" high.
Jun 17, 2012, 07:01 PM
Registered User
Doug W's Avatar

Wedgetail Update...


I am getting much, much closer. I'm still adding antennas but I'm nearly there. Another week or so...
Jun 17, 2012, 08:59 PM
Registered User
Looking great Doug.
Just like a real one.......
Paul
Jun 17, 2012, 09:23 PM
6 months to finish a rtf
pulsery2k1's Avatar
Doug W

looks great - nice job

Hawaiian Flyin

they look good - did you ever get to fly them?
Jun 17, 2012, 09:35 PM
Registered User
Hawaiian Flyin's Avatar
Not yet. Here in Hawaii we have this thing called tradewinds. Seems they like to blow like crazy when I'm off from work. Plus this time of the year it's fishing season and that's my #1 priority. Plus work, kids soccer,domestic duties all take their toll. I will get them in the air. My goal is to get them airborn before the end of summer. Tried once and ran into a main gear problem. All fixed.
Really cool looking plane Doug!
Jun 17, 2012, 10:21 PM
Registered User
Doug W's Avatar

Earth to Derek...


You're starting to worry me...

Any update?
Jun 17, 2012, 10:26 PM
Registered User
Doug W's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauljohnston View Post
Looking great Doug.
Just like a real one.......
Paul
(Except, mine isn't three years behind schedule...)
Jun 17, 2012, 10:49 PM
Registered User
DerekB's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug W View Post
You're starting to worry me...

Any update?
Derek here. Checking in from outerspace. All is well . We have a maiden flight !!! I am uploading video to youtube as we speak (err, write ).

I was at the flying field from 9:00 to about 11:00. Then I went wakeboarding with my two teenagers for a 2 hour session at the cable park, then out to dinner for Father's Day. Also, I got a Go Pro HD Hero 2 for a Father's Day gift which I had to fiddle with. Oh yah, I needed a nap after all that. So it was quite a jam packed day.

Maiden was successful, but not without issues. I will elaborate in the next post when the youtube links are available. Hmm, the progress bar says it's gonna be a couple hours....
Last edited by DerekB; Jun 17, 2012 at 11:03 PM.
Jun 17, 2012, 10:54 PM
Registered User
DerekB's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrerars View Post
@Derek
All the best for the maiden of your beauty.
We're all with you.

Just one question: when you say mid root do you mean half the length the wing has at the point where it hits the body?
(can yo tell us the length measured from the tailing edge?)

(sorry for my English, I'm swiss - lots of cheese with lots of holes, you know...)

Thank you
Markus
Your English is perfect.... compared to my Swiss .

Regarding mid-root, yes, you are correct. I believe we are all talking about the molded foam piece of wing / fuselage structure. It has a blunt square front face and a blunt square rear face. My measurement from front face to rear face is about 38.5 cm. Thus, my center is at 19.25 cm, measured from either the front face or rear face. Then my CG is 2 cm behind that center. So 17.25 cm from the rear face, or 21.25 cm from the front face of the wing root.

This may not be my final CG, but it was my starting point today.
Last edited by DerekB; Jun 17, 2012 at 11:01 PM.
Jun 18, 2012, 12:05 AM
Registered User
Doug W's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekB View Post
Derek here. Checking in from outerspace. All is well . We have a maiden flight !!! I am uploading video to youtube as we speak (err, write ).

I was at the flying field from 9:00 to about 11:00. Then I went wakeboarding with my two teenagers for a 2 hour session at the cable park, then out to dinner for Father's Day. Also, I got a Go Pro HD Hero 2 for a Father's Day gift which I had to fiddle with. Oh yah, I needed a nap after all that. So it was quite a jam packed day.

Maiden was successful, but not without issues. I will elaborate in the next post when the youtube links are available. Hmm, the progress bar says it's gonna be a couple hours....
YES!!! Great to hear of the success- get that video posted, hurry, some of us are trying to sleep out here on the West Coast. Happy Father's Day BTW.
Jun 18, 2012, 12:07 AM
Registered User
Doug W's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaiian Flyin View Post
Not yet. Here in Hawaii we have this thing called tradewinds. Seems they like to blow like crazy when I'm off from work. Plus this time of the year it's fishing season and that's my #1 priority. Plus work, kids soccer,domestic duties all take their toll. I will get them in the air. My goal is to get them airborn before the end of summer. Tried once and ran into a main gear problem. All fixed.
Really cool looking plane Doug!
Love the twins Hawaiian- very nice! Can't wait to see some flight videos.
Jun 18, 2012, 12:50 AM
Registered User
DerekB's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug W View Post
YES!!! Great to hear of the success- get that video posted, hurry, some of us are trying to sleep out here on the West Coast. Happy Father's Day BTW.
Still uploading. The video is about 15 minutes total edited. I broke it into part 1 and part 2 video, about 7 minutes each. The flight time is less than 2 minutes at the end. It's not so much a maiden "flight" video as it is a maiden flight day experience video. The wind picked up beyond reasonable. I only did 2 laps. But maiden is maiden. You will see my friend with a giant scale turbine powered Euro Fighter with gobs of power. He did one flight and packed it up. You also see an Avanti, much larger than mine, and they packed it up too without a flight.

Still uploading.... like watching paint dry.
Jun 18, 2012, 01:32 AM
Ming's Avatar
Modeler need good model, good model also need good modeler!
That why Windrider team always working hard for next next next projects.

Ming Lou


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Windrider Boeing 737 Ming Scale Kit/Scratch Built 638 Mar 10, 2016 12:41 PM
Discussion Windrider Boeing 737-700 could be a good glider Ming Slope 63 Jul 02, 2015 09:31 PM
New Product Boeing 737 philipcmf Foamy EDFs 83 Jan 16, 2011 09:03 AM
Boeing 737 jermaine Foamies (Kits) 6 Apr 08, 2002 11:21 PM