Jan 04, 2011, 10:40 PM
Ugly planes do not fly
Thread OP
Build Log

Windrider's Boeing 737

Today I got my 737 from Windrider and I guess it's time to start a build log.

It would be fun to finish it nicely, do custom painting, make flaps, lights, make it sound and look very scale.

There are couple of questions that immediately got my attention.

One is front landing gear. It seems that it does not fit. Any suggestions?

The other questions is about main gear mount. I want to make flaps. Am I out of luck since landing gear mount covers flap area?
Last edited by _Sergey_; Mar 15, 2011 at 08:48 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 04, 2011, 10:41 PM
Ugly planes do not fly
Thread OP

Airplane data

Plane parts_____________________________Weight, g
2x Wings................................358
Tail section............................243
Fuselage................................625
2x Engine pods..........................90
2x H stabs..............................66
V stab..................................78
2x Wing tips............................9
6x Canoes...............................11
Wing spar...............................50
Accessories (bolts, clevices etc).......125
_______________________________Subtotal 1,655
3x Landing gear.........................291
Landing gear mounts.....................11
__________________Subtotal Landing gear 302
__________________________________Total 1,957
Last edited by _Sergey_; Mar 15, 2011 at 08:48 AM.
Jan 04, 2011, 10:50 PM
6 months to finish a rtf
great looking foward to getting mine
Jan 04, 2011, 10:52 PM
you can dremel out the nose section very carefully or use a hobby knife. But on all his vid its does not retract fully so I would be very careful as it may weaken the retract bay. Not sure if that helps. GL
Jan 05, 2011, 12:11 AM
WIFE HAND LAUNCHED MY PLANES!
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Sergey_ View Post
Today I got my 737 from Windrider and I guess it's time to start a build log.

It would be fun to finish it nicely, do custom painting, make flaps, lights, make it sound and look very scale.

So far there is one issue with the package and I am working with mr. Ming on addressing it. Meanwhile there are couple of questions that immediately got my attention.

One is front landing gear. It seems that it does not fit. Any suggestions?

The other questions is about main gear mount. I want to make flaps. Am I out of luck since landing gear mount covers flap area?
I'm not sure if the pictures or information you are giving us is complete or not.
You stated" Landing gear mounts.....................11
But the nose gear you provided did not show any. So I assume there was nothing provided for the nose gear.
Those E-Retracts should sit and screwed on a retract bay. If it does not come with one, either find one designed for a model or fabricate one yourself.
You may need to carve the foam to accomodate the retract bay.

To give you an idea on what to do, If there was nothing provided,
Go to a hobbystore (or call them), and tell them you want to see this part number:
PKZ5304 Main Landing Gear mounts for P-47 $3.99. It's a spare part for parkzone P-47.
Now take your Nose gear retract to the store & guesstimate it if it does fit or DOable. It does not have to fit perfectly, hot glue will. If not find nother one or make one yourself.
That's how I build my planes at least, custom built "chop-chop", but looks OEM.
Here is the picture of the retract bay I mentioned...
Click the picture and take a closer look of the left bottom picture.
Paint it white since it's gray. It's the rectangular piece that you see on the picture.
Trimming may also be needed before you glue it into the foam.
Not a guarantee fit, so search something closer if otherwise.

NOW, if it came with a stock nose e-retract bay already, then, all I mentioned needs to be scrapped, and just carve the foam so the wheels does not stick out.

-SPYRO
Last edited by Spyro37; Jan 05, 2011 at 02:28 PM.
Jan 05, 2011, 12:42 AM
Up-Out-&-Gone
This should help you'll need a exacto knife or a dremel & a steady hand.
Jan 05, 2011, 12:47 AM
Yes, please help to enlarge the nose wheel bay little bit, because we find this 45mm wheel is more suitable to take of from grass. The nose wheel size should be 40mm by scale. Or just use a smaller 40mm nose wheel.

Ming Lou
Last edited by Ming; Jan 05, 2011 at 01:05 AM.
Jan 05, 2011, 01:05 AM
Up-Out-&-Gone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ming View Post
Yes, please help to enlarge the nose wheel bay little bit, because we find this 45mm wheel is more suitable to take of from grass. The nose wheel size should be 40mm by scale.

Ming Lou
Ming That's one sharp 737 you created Sir I wish I could build'em as good!
Jan 05, 2011, 08:47 PM
Mine came today. No damage,well packed. I'm still unpacking and sticking things together and drooling. There are no real instruction that I have found,just a two sheets with drawings. I haven't found a CG location. All in all a very,very beautiful kit. As I go along with the build I will post how I overcame the problems I'm sure I will encounter.
Jan 05, 2011, 08:48 PM
Ugly planes do not fly
Thread OP
This is very helpful, thank you!

What's the steering set up? Is it some sort of pull-pull?
Jan 05, 2011, 09:22 PM
Sergey I'm not sure if you know but the way you have the retract sitting in the bay is incorrect. I have not received mines yet but I do have a copy of the manual and it says that there are 2 wooden plates with 2 hole on each plate. those plates go on the left an right side of the fuse. once those are glued in place with the screw holes toward the middle of the fuse where they join together. The retract unit itself sits in between the left and right side fuselage and then screwed into the wooden plate. Keep in mind that the wheel portion part of the bay may need carving out with either a hobby knife or dremel.I hope this is the answer you are looking for GL keep us posted as we all will run into problems
Jan 05, 2011, 09:32 PM
Ugly planes do not fly
Thread OP
Thanks Rookie! I am just test-fitting parts together. There are of course wooden plates.
Jan 05, 2011, 09:41 PM
there are 2 wooden plates with 2 holes in them at the bottom left side next to the landing gear wheels with looks like screws underneath them thoses are the ones you need
Jan 05, 2011, 09:46 PM
Looks like you have(2) balsa plates for the mains (2) for the nose (4) for the engine pylons (2) oval plates (wing bearers)that go in the center of the fuse that holds the wing to the fuse an then there are (4) circular ones (wooden washers).
Jan 05, 2011, 10:46 PM
Thank this modeler to send me a photo show use 42mm thin wheel on the nose.

Ming Lou

Quick Reply