Jan 04, 2011, 02:56 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Best color for visibility?

Did a quick search but found very little on this subject. Gotta say I'm terrible at searching for info though. Anyway, a quick question from someone that struggles with orientation at distance...red/white or orange/white...is there a difference?

Thanks, Scot
to remove ads between posts
Jan 04, 2011, 04:32 PM
You will find some information here:

http://pierre.rondel.free.fr/color.htm

sorry, this is in french.

Cheers,

Pierre
http://www.planet-soaring.com
Jan 04, 2011, 04:52 PM
I translated the table for you.
Jan 04, 2011, 08:58 PM
powered by caffine
very interesting chart. Thanks for the translation!
Jan 04, 2011, 09:48 PM
Detail Freak
Sounds like orange works for all conditions best.

R,
Target
Jan 04, 2011, 10:56 PM
Healthy suntan is an oxymoron.
That chart tells me what I already know about my Shadow and some of the Xplorers out there.

Red and orange are especially good if you wear brown sunglasses.

I disagree that yellow is "correct" against a blue sky. I find it especially hard to see.

By the way, I think the French word correct might be better translated as reasonable.
Latest blog entry: OpenTX: Circling the Square
Jan 04, 2011, 11:09 PM
Where is the lift?
I found that Pink and Orange work best for me and my tint of sunglasses. I 2nd that yellow is one of the worst for me.

Charlie
Jan 04, 2011, 11:39 PM
One Idiot is plenty...
I like them all,color does not matter for me ,but suppose to be bright.
Judge plane position by tail,not by color.Colors are deceiving .
Yuri.
Jan 05, 2011, 02:03 AM
For a good visibility, color is not enough.
The best is too have at least 2 differents colors on the upperside with good contrast, and very visible schemes.

For exemple, the yellow combined with black or dark blue is very visible, like the strega on this picture
Last edited by prondel; Jan 05, 2011 at 02:17 AM.
Jan 05, 2011, 02:46 AM
I do this for fun!
At extreme distance colour is more important than pattern. You only see the main colour, all patterns become indistinct. At extreme range I find bright pink best against all skies, with bright green second.

These only apply when the colour is in the light, when it is in shadow they all go black or grey at very long range.
Jan 05, 2011, 06:35 AM
The final choice of color depends on the person. Lots of color blind folks out there....

I like white/red is fine but find yellow/blue much better in clear blue days. My shooter happens to be yellow/blue on top and red on bottom....

I also do different color on the nose. This helps to focus on the important part of the plane when spot landing.

What do guys like in smog? I'm trying to figure out what colors to bring to China for F3b WC.
Jan 05, 2011, 07:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlachow
What do guys like in smog? I'm trying to figure out what colors to bring to China for F3b WC.
Dark and/or bright colours. Anything else than white.
Jan 05, 2011, 01:02 PM
Mike - Orange main color with Med blue underside! When Spicer built my MXC with this it glows at altitude at CV with all the dust in the air etc.....
Check the bottom photo - you'll see what I mean and you know how bad the air can be at CV and Davis when you spec'd out at 4600' +
http://www.xcsoaring.com/contests/cv...ll/photos.html
Jan 05, 2011, 01:35 PM
Master of the Wind
I like black bottom/white top for extreme distances, with a chrome monokote flasher on the LE.
Jan 05, 2011, 04:49 PM
Planes thermal better is certain colors, especially the translucent range.

Now for real: mine are yellow to look fancy on the ground and they do so, but once up they're not the best choice, even with red bands.

Quick Reply