This thread is privately moderated by FPVSCRacer, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jan 03, 2011, 07:34 PM
Rubbin's Racin
Thread OP
Discussion

FPV Tonka Summit Too

Tonka Summit FPV RVPV
(First Person View-Remote Video Piloted Vehicle)
Traxxas Summit chassis, vintage 1978 Tonka Body NIB, GoPro HD onboard camera with pan/tilt and headtracking, two-way walkie talkie, rear view mirrors, windshield, GI Joe w/kung fu grip, Barbie, 12V motorcycle horn, lights and much more.

This is a work in progress:
Geek Gets Girl part 1 "Tonka Summit too" (5 min 58 sec)

Geek Gets Girl part 2 "Tonka Summit too" (6 min 54 sec)

ULTIMATE ACTION "Tonka Summit too" HD FPV (2 min 39 sec)

HD FPV Racing, "Tonka Summit too" (5 min 53 sec)

"Barbie Gone Wild" HD FPV "Tonka Summit too" (6 min 3 sec)

HD FPV "Tonka Summit Too" Sandy Wash Run (14 min 31 sec)

HD FPV "Tonka Summit Too" Golf Course (13 min 39 sec)

The Ultimate Beer Delivery System, HD FPV "Tonka Summit too" (2 min 16 sec)

Long Distance HD FPV "Tonka Summit Too" Desert Run (13 min 56 sec)

HD FPV "Tonka Summit Too" 2nd Drive (6 min 58 sec)

"Tonka Summit Too" HD FPV-RVPV, 1st Test Run (10 min 19 sec)

EQUIPMENT LIST:
Traxxas Summit
1978 Tonka Chevron Emergency Service Truck NIB
Futaba 9C Tx 72MHz
Futaba 319DPS Rx
GoPro HD
ReadyMade RC Advanced FPV Starter Package 1.3GHz
2500mW 1.3GHz Video Transmitter
FatShark RCV922 Aviator Edition Goggles 2.4GHz
GlobeFlight GoProHD Pan/Tilt System
DC 12V 105db Motorcycle Horn
BattleSwitch (for horn)
Summit LED Lightbar
Nano Electronic Receiver Switch (lights)
2x SPC 8000mAh 2S Lipo's (Truck)
1x 3000mAh 3S Lipo (Vtx and 12V Horn)
3x Lipo Low Voltage Buzzer Alarm Indicator
2x Blind Spot Mirror
G.I. Joe w/Kung Fu Grip
Barbie
36" Antenna Tube
5.4 Rate Summit Springs for Rear

I want to thank Wobby for his amazing Summit setup and videos. He inspired me to start this project. Also, I'd like to thank replayreb for his creative idea's, technical help and for finding the Tonka Truck that is such a perfect fit for the Summit chassis as a FPV platform. Finally, I'd like to thank Tim @ ReadyMadeRC and Sebastian @ GlobeFlight for their amazing products and support.

You can follow the continuing progress of mine and replayreb's builds, from the beginning, in the thread FPV Tonka Summit. There you will find much helpful information about our projects.
Last edited by FPVSCRacer; Aug 20, 2011 at 05:04 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 05, 2011, 02:34 AM
Physics hate's my ideas
Move your hand closer barbie hahaha

Nice vid, setup looks great
Jan 05, 2011, 08:22 PM
Rubbin's Racin
Thread OP
Thanks GreenAce92! Yeah, I tried but she said no nookie on the first date. We'll have to see how it goes next time
Jan 06, 2011, 01:12 AM
Physics hate's my ideas
So assuming from your avatar name... you do racing with FPV system? Hows' that like? I am more of an airplane guy my self but I always thought that it would be incredible to race with FPV, it would be the closest thing you can get to real life racing
Mar 02, 2011, 12:38 AM
Rubbin's Racin
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenAce92
So assuming from your avatar name... you do racing with FPV system? Hows' that like? I am more of an airplane guy my self but I always thought that it would be incredible to race with FPV, it would be the closest thing you can get to real life racing
Sorry for taking so long to respond. I meant to right away, got sidetracked, then forgot. You know when I first joined RC Groups FPV racing was what I was planning to do (I agree it would be amazing) but I still haven't done it. My goal was to try to race 1/10th scale Short Course Trucks in FPV. I did experiment a little and found some issues that have kept me from pursuing it further.

I fab'd an aluminum mount that would pan left and right with my steering and used the cheap camera that came with my RMRC advanced FPV starter package. I tested in my backyard and didn't get the results I was hoping for. The image quality of that camera isn't very good, at least when you compare it to a GoPro and when I would start to go fast the vibrations were such that I could barely see where I was going.

I'm sure if I spent the time I could fab up a mount that didn't vibrate as bad and use a GoPro instead but then that leads to the next problem, weight. It is one thing to get some cool racing footage (heck, I could do that, just mount the GoPro on my truck and race it normally) and quite another to attempt to race FPV and be competitive. Unless everybody is racing FPV and heavy (would be cool, maybe someday) I'd have a serious disadvantage because of the weight of my vehicle. If I try to build a FPV racer again someday I think I'd have better luck on an 1/8th, or even better, 1/5th scale truck where weight won't be as big of a factor.

Other things I think could be tricky are adapting to racing from that perspective (definately going to be a learning curve) and how to not get lost on the track. I put a GPS on my Summit to see how fast it goes with all my gear on it. It only goes 18.5mph but driving FPV with the goggles on it looks like 50mph. Racing in a 1/10th scale truck that goes 30mph or 1/8th scale buggy that goes 40mph on the track is going to look like I'm going 80-100mph, might make navigating a tight technical track challenging. Thou, I bet it can be done.

I feel with the proper setup and practice it is possible to get good at making laps around a closed circuit but what happens when you get spun out and loose your orientation. Maybe it would be best to be piloting via TV screen instead of goggles for this reason. If I get lost simply look up and find out where I am then resume but that's alot of equipment to take to the track, so once again maybe not very practical. I do really want to do this some day as I love RC racing and FPV. When I decide to go down that road again I will definately share my findings. Until then I'll be having fun in the Tonka Summit.
Aug 04, 2011, 07:54 PM
FPV ground
Hi,

Realy cool your video, Summit driver got fun with barbie
I've done my summit FPV too, and Wobby have inspeared my too.

I look sometime new "traxxas summit FPV" on youtube and we are 3 who's doing this trip at this time: replayred, you (951rcguy), and me(traxxalu).
It's fun to see different body and different landscape.

Have fun everybody
Aug 22, 2011, 12:03 PM
I love it

So did you get to keep Bunny, has it lasted ?
Aug 22, 2011, 10:57 PM
Rubbin's Racin
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomDePlume
I love it

So did you get to keep Bunny, has it lasted ?
So far sooooo good
May 20, 2012, 05:45 AM

FRV Traxxas Summit Project

I love this project and would like to build one myself.

Help me understand if you would, in your parts list, you list two video transmitters:
ReadyMade RC Advanced FPV Starter Package 1.3GHz (one included in package)
2500mW 1.3GHz Video Transmitter

Why? Did you start out with the one in the ReadyMade Starter Package, and then decide it was not good enough? I do not want to over-order things I might not need. Thanks!

Also, the goggles you use to view the video:
FatShark RCV922 Aviator Edition Goggles 2.4GHz

These are 2.4Ghz, but (?) is the video is being received by the Video receiver in the ReadyMade Starter Package? If so, how are the goggles "hooked in"? Do they come with a cable?

Thanks a ton if you could respond and help me understand how you built this.

-= The Space Cowboy =-
http://mycamcar.com
Sep 21, 2012, 06:59 PM
That was FANTASTIC!
Dec 06, 2012, 03:03 PM
fpv addict
All your videos are awesome! The videos with bunny is outstanding, you better hang onto her cause I don't think many girls would have been as impressed
Dec 07, 2012, 12:23 AM
JohnVHRC
great stuff, I was showing them to my wife, hahahaha!!!

Cant believe the range you get on the beach with that thing, impressive!!
Latest blog entry: FMS Discount Codes! Click here!
Dec 22, 2012, 06:53 AM

hey

hello..

first of all i hope that you and bunny are still together and i wish both of u a very good life together and a long relationship.

second i must say that is the best thing i ever saw and the coolest

u post all the parts that need to build one, like your car.
and i really want to build one like that .

so lets say i bought all the parts that u worth that nedded but i really dont know how to assemble all of them together

so i wondered can u please make a video that explan how to build one or how to assemble all the parts together.. cus i belive that u have a great knowledge
in that specific area.

it will be very very helpfull and also a good tutorial video.

thank you very much
matan .b.
Sep 29, 2013, 11:05 AM
Fly it like you stole it!
That's awesome. By far one of the coolest FPVs I've seen. Hilarious.

Quick Reply