Jan 02, 2011, 07:52 PM
Thread OP
Idea

Flex Wing Dart +++??. I finally found some uses for my 6mm EPP. Video and Pictures

I liked my 20" RET Dart with floating dihedral wingtips and wondered if my thin EPP would do the same. Seems to work pretty well!

Flex Wing Dart full short flight (2 min 11 sec)

VIDEO0006 (0 min 55 sec)

Flex Wing Dart (1 min 46 sec)
Last edited by tymbrewolf; Jan 23, 2011 at 04:37 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 02, 2011, 10:02 PM
I crash planes
Pretty sweet little plane, ingenious too. Never that about using the epp flex to my favor, natural dihedral. Smooth thinking, would be a nice little plane for my son to try his hand at. No real fears of breakage.

Added to list.
Jan 02, 2011, 10:44 PM
Thread OP
I did take into account the Leading edge not wanting too much flex, that is why I made it somewhat rounded instead of straight as in the other simple dart wings. Since I don't have a wind tunnel, don't know if it matters or not. I liked the look too.

The middle section has support of hobby lobby foam core (paper removed) of 2 1/2" to either side of the fuse. There is a dihedral break 1/2 inch out on each side. I was aiming for 15 degrees, but I think it is slightly less than that each side. After cutting out the bottom support and fixing the dihedral by cutting a slot and filling in with hot glue, (a fairly standard way of fixing dihedral in a wing) I used durobond spray adhesive to join the EPP to the form core surface with small beads of hot glue on the edges for extra holding. Other than that, this is just a 20" smart dart.

smart dart thread.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=599674

more descriptions in this single post from the dart thread.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=5429
Jan 02, 2011, 11:15 PM
I crash planes
Thanks for the links, may build one. I am building an EPP Batix 330 right now and a Typhoon Delta. So maybe after those.

I am rapidly getting more addicted to flying, only been 1 year flying now. And already 5 scratch builds and 2 RTF's. I love the scratchbuilds so much more, even when they don't fly. I feel like a champ when they do though.
Jan 03, 2011, 06:50 AM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
What a great innovation !!!!!
Latest blog entry: Lost plans
Jan 03, 2011, 07:35 AM
Thread OP
I bought this months ago and everybody keeps saying on builds that 6mm is usually used in smaller stuff and 9mm in larger. Several only use 1.9# epp now. When I bought the one sheet of 9mm 1.3# I have, the LHS owner said sometimes 3mm is in the box for packing and basically thrown away. Years ago, my dad knew a restaurant business that threw away chicken wings as they were a waste of time. Look where wings are today... Just using what I have and trying to make it work. I liked the results. I also think this could be used as a hybrid to do control surfaces having depron or foam core support without a hinge as flexible as this is.
Jan 03, 2011, 08:01 AM
gpw
gpw
Great candidate for controlled wing warping ...
Jan 03, 2011, 12:15 PM
Thread OP
Taube maybe?
Jan 04, 2011, 12:32 AM
Thread OP
Decided to cut me another new plane tonight. Going for an indoor bullseye delta. This old one minus the fuse and elevator weighs 42.5g. The new one complete weighs 27.5g. The fuse is about 15g itself for a total weight loss of over one ounce. I can toss the new one from my kitchen thru the dining room and into the far wall in the living room. Glides about like a simple paper airplane. .032 wire spar in the rudder and about 6" one in the tail of the fuse and a scrap piece of CF on the under side is the support structure. About a 15" wingspan

I wish I had a 10g motor and 3.7g servos, but the 17g and 5gs will be okay I suppose.
Last edited by tymbrewolf; Jan 04, 2011 at 08:10 AM. Reason: can't spel
Jan 07, 2011, 11:18 PM
Thread OP
Another flex wing video. New camera ordered from Ebay. Quality and length severly compromised due to lipo quality.

Flex Wing Dart 1 7 11 (2 min 11 sec)
Jan 07, 2011, 11:20 PM
Thread OP
After I came home I took off 1" of wing from each side as I think the flex is too much sometimes and I was hoping to improve roll rate.
Jan 08, 2011, 07:46 AM
gpw
gpw
How about a flat flex wing with ailerons??? I recall EWO doing a flex wing thingie' a while back ... made from "door seal" material ...
Jan 08, 2011, 08:07 AM
Thread OP
Wouldn't the bend in the hinge keep it from moving freely?
Last edited by tymbrewolf; Jan 08, 2011 at 07:01 PM.
Jan 08, 2011, 07:15 PM
Thread OP
I was asked to post some more info on my dart wing. My old 20" WS dart was used with a new wing. Dart plans here: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...1&postcount=60. My 20" dart I just downsized on a copier from the 26" plans. If I remember, around 77%.

I have included LE and TE profiles of the EPP wing and foam core support doubler. If one were to cut the paper between the LE and TE lines allowing for the proper root chord width, you would have a complete halfspan.
Jan 09, 2011, 02:29 PM
Thread OP
6mm Bullseye delta finished at under 4.5oz with Rhino 460. 2204 motor, hk esc, feather rx and 5g servos. Could have been almost an oz lighter with 10g motor, a lighter esc and rx, 240 to 360 battery, and 3.7g servos.
Last edited by tymbrewolf; Jan 23, 2011 at 04:38 PM.

Quick Reply