Thread Tools
Oct 03, 2012, 01:21 PM
"The Judge"
sebbe's Avatar
VooDoo, only for me, really ?

MAN, that is awsome, the speed is gaining pretty good... ,

OK, tell us, what have you done ?
Last edited by sebbe; Oct 03, 2012 at 02:14 PM.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Oct 03, 2012, 01:21 PM
Registered User
arcticflyer's Avatar
Speed brother from another mother....I worked on that first video (4th July) for a good part of the morning. Using 80F I am getting in the 190's give or take. The passes are not right over the camera and on a moving camera as well so...the good news is the speeds are higher than indicated. Doppler works like radar as far as angle goes...trust a retired cop on that one....the greater the angle the lower the reading. Those passes were pushing the big 2-OhOh.
Am working on the second video for ya now
Oct 03, 2012, 01:24 PM
FlipF5D
GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD Job- DOUG !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!
Oct 03, 2012, 01:34 PM
Livin it UP when Im goin DOWN
Arcteryxxx's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlipF5D
GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD Job- DOUG !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!
^+1
Oct 03, 2012, 01:45 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebbe
Thats a big intake, hope the air gets out, how big outlet do you have ?

By the way, what setup are you running?
mega 16/40/1c (5mm shaft)
kontronik jazz fai 18
5.5x5.5 graupner
3s 2700 65-130c nanotech

i tried last weekend with 4s and 5.5x5.5 and the esc cut.
Oct 03, 2012, 01:45 PM
Registered User
arcticflyer's Avatar
For the life of me...can't get a good chart to doppler the last outrunner video...will keep trying. For good doppler need a second camera set up stationary in the middle of the runway.

Love that setup!
Oct 03, 2012, 02:18 PM
"The Judge"
sebbe's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcticflyer
For the life of me...can't get a good chart to doppler the last outrunner video...will keep trying. For good doppler need a second camera set up stationary in the middle of the runway.

Love that setup!
artic, even if you did doppler the sound, it would not tell us much as he is flying the way he does, for correct speeds as you know, straight line, over the mic, and full throttle before and after AND same altitude.... as you see in Dougs video, he flyes prestty much anything reverse to what I said , so the doppler readings will just be missleading..

IF Doug wants the real speed, he will put the cam out on the runaway and do some real dopplerruns , then we can measure speed....
Oct 03, 2012, 02:56 PM
Drinks Day Old Expired Milk
VooDoo Child's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebbe
artic, even if you did doppler the sound, it would not tell us much as he is flying the way he does, for correct speeds as you know, straight line, over the mic, and full throttle before and after AND same altitude.... as you see in Dougs video, he flyes prestty much anything reverse to what I said , so the doppler readings will just be missleading..

IF Doug wants the real speed, he will put the cam out on the runaway and do some real dopplerruns , then we can measure speed....
I CAN ONLY DO SO MUCH ! I AM ONLY ONE PERSON ! Besides,there is alot more speed to be gained,i am going with baby steps right now,i just wanted to make sure the plane was going to hold together,and you had an entertaining video to go with it
Oct 03, 2012, 02:58 PM
Drinks Day Old Expired Milk
VooDoo Child's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcticflyer
Speed brother from another mother....I worked on that first video (4th July) for a good part of the morning. Using 80F I am getting in the 190's give or take. The passes are not right over the camera and on a moving camera as well so...the good news is the speeds are higher than indicated. Doppler works like radar as far as angle goes...trust a retired cop on that one....the greater the angle the lower the reading. Those passes were pushing the big 2-OhOh.
Am working on the second video for ya now
That is fast for a small inrunner flat and level,my phone app was showing 204 to 207MPH....221 with dives.
Oct 03, 2012, 03:06 PM
"The Judge"
sebbe's Avatar
So what was the thing you did to the motor/setup Doug ? on the last video
Oct 03, 2012, 03:49 PM
Registered User
arcticflyer's Avatar
VooDoo - you're right that was a smokin setup for a 28mm motor was that setup a Mega or a Neu?

I agree with running before sprinting...things happen when pushing the envelope...don't ask me how I know

That setup sounds and looks really good and if it is coming down cool that is even better...have learned that TEMP is everything. AMPS SHAMPS what matters is the case temp and ESC temp. Keep them down and you can keep pushing forward

Hunting season has started here and I'm taking a break from the plane...got a little burned out and when it isn't fun anymore...well...time to take a break. So I'll watch you...keep the vids comin!

Oh yeah, your phone app was pretty close...gotta ge me one of those!

Oct 04, 2012, 02:43 AM
Aka: Tom Jenkins
ApexAero's Avatar
Can I ask a question about the cooling vents here in the Swist thread?
The rule of thumb I learned many years ago was simply 1/3 in and 2/3 out when it comes to vent sizing for cooling air. Was told the air heats and expands, how was I to get it out efficiently and so on. I see equal sized vents on most of the fuselages, one front and rear, Wouldn't a larger rear vent or two let it breathe better?
Oct 04, 2012, 02:57 AM
310mph Kolibri T25 Swist
henke's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexAero
Can I ask a question about the cooling vents here in the Swist thread?
The rule of thumb I learned many years ago was simply 1/3 in and 2/3 out when it comes to vent sizing for cooling air. Was told the air heats and expands, how was I to get it out efficiently and so on. I see equal sized vents on most of the fuselages, one front and rear, Wouldn't a larger rear vent or two let it breathe better?
Does the went help at all for these 1min duration short circuits??

Outrunner outside the fuselage has an obvious advantage compared to the small vents which enters the air pretty much behind the motor.
Oct 04, 2012, 03:17 AM
SB7
SB7
I am actually really slow
Apparently there were people running geared setups at the worlds with no cooling at all! For 60 seconds of run time you could probably do without cooling if you stuck to F5D power. If you have an ally spinner to help soak away heat that's probably all you need. Most motors these days can take a fair amount of heat
Oct 04, 2012, 04:06 AM
Registered User
Peter M's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by VooDoo Child
I CAN ONLY DO SO MUCH ! I AM ONLY ONE PERSON ! Besides,there is alot more speed to be gained,i am going with baby steps right now,i just wanted to make sure the plane was going to hold together,and you had an entertaining video to go with it
Doug,
Great work and thank you for posting. I've just decided that if I die tonight that I want to be reincarnated as you! LOL!

I was sure a geared 16/40/1 would be the perfect setup for a Swist. Now I'm not so sure!