Apr 11, 2012, 01:31 PM
Micro-Turbine Superhero
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrocco123
Is the Swist 2.4 friendly?
fuselage is made of the kevlar/carbon weave, if thats friendly I do not know. I put my antennas outside to be safe.

to remove ads between posts
Apr 11, 2012, 02:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VooDoo Child
Would it be safe to say that the two small carbon pins that come with the Swist are to mount the vertical and horizontal stabs? Long one to go through both into the fuse,short one just for the horizontal stab?
I am not sure how others have done it but i used both of the carbon dowls as alignment pins for gluing on the vertical fin. Drilled small holes in fuseThen glued pins into fuse, marked and drilled the stab. The stab could then be slid on top of the dowls. Sanded the stab a bit to get a good fit then glued.

This worked for me anyhow.
Apr 11, 2012, 02:47 PM
You down with EPP?
Quote:
Originally Posted by henke
fuselage is made of the kevlar/carbon weave, if thats friendly I do not know. I put my antennas outside to be safe.

Oh yeah, I would definitely have antennas running out of that fuse.
Apr 11, 2012, 05:18 PM
Drinks Day Old Expired Milk
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrocco123
I'm wondering if I should have gotten a Swist over a Viper?????
I can not see how you can go wrong with eather one....I would think the Viper would be a better choice for a first time F5D airframe,seeing how there is so much info on it....not to mention,have you ever heard a bad thing about it i was so stuck on which to get (i do dig the T tail) But a good friend picking up the Viper made my mind up real fast.....to this day,i wonder why they went with that Ail linkage set-up with the arm on the top of the wing ....Plus,there are no Swist's available in the states right now....no need to second guess your decision in my mind,you have an amazing airframe on it's way to you right now-You should savor that thought
Apr 11, 2012, 05:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by c54fun
I am not sure how others have done it but i used both of the carbon dowls as alignment pins for gluing on the vertical fin. Drilled small holes in fuseThen glued pins into fuse, marked and drilled the stab. The stab could then be slid on top of the dowls. Sanded the stab a bit to get a good fit then glued.

This worked for me anyhow.
Very cool,thanks....I figured that was the deal,but it never hurts to hear it from somebody who has been there.......my mind is like a sponge right now,absorbing as much as i can
Apr 11, 2012, 05:46 PM
You down with EPP?
Quote:
I can not see how you can go wrong with eather one....I would think the Viper would be a better choice for a first time F5D airframe,seeing how there is so much info on it....not to mention,have you ever heard a bad thing about it i was so stuck on which to get (i do dig the T tail) But a good friend picking up the Viper made my mind up real fast.....to this day,i wonder why they went with that Ail linkage set-up with the arm on the top of the wing ....Plus,there are no Swist's available in the states right now....no need to second guess your decision in my mind,you have an amazing airframe on it's way to you right now-You should savor that thought
Yeah, you are probably right. I didn't know there weren't any available.

Yes, this will be my first hardcore pylon plane.

Flew a Vip-1, then a Sunracer. The Viper or Swist seemed like the next logical upgrade.
Apr 14, 2012, 06:26 PM
For some reason,in my mind,i thought i could use my Ice 100 in my swist Just came home from getting the Light.........This hobby is the death of ones wallet
Apr 15, 2012, 06:30 PM
Can anybody give me a measurement on where to cut out the ail servo lead exit on the wing ? Last thing i want to do is go behind a spar It's time to get cracking on putting this thing together.Question 2,does anybody see a reason why the Snake cable that comes with the plane should not be used ? I made a carbon rod for it,and a mount for the servo,but i find it so much easier to make a much lighter and removable setup with the snake cable being used.....but i look at that thing,and it kind of scares me to think of flying with that at 180mph But i do see many people using it with no issues.
Apr 16, 2012, 12:23 AM
Micro-Turbine Superhero
Quote:
Can anybody give me a measurement on where to cut out the ail servo lead exit on the wing ? Last thing i want to do is go behind a spar
I just though someone would need pix of the guts

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...6&postcount=10

Apr 16, 2012, 06:28 PM
Now that makes things real easy....thanks,i forgot about that pic.
Apr 16, 2012, 07:57 PM
No reply to the snake cable that comes with the Swist ? Well,after making both a snake cable,and carbon tube with ball joint and clevis,i think i am going to go with the snake cable...i do not plan on going bigger then 5S nor over 200mph,so i figure the snake cable will do the trick....and i just like the way the servo craddle came out It just seems to be a light,clean,straight forward way of doing it,and putting trust in AJaeromodels,cause that is what they provide for the plane Now just waiting on the Motor to show up.
Apr 16, 2012, 09:52 PM
A couple pics of the slow progress.....I do not want to do all to much untell the motor gets here.So i have done the wingtip repair,it came out perfect and added a bit of chrome mylar on one tip to help my old eyes out the first couple flights.....Drilled the wing for the servo lead exit,soldered on the extentions....Now to route the wires and solder the single plug....and as i posted before,i made the elev servo cradle with guide for snake tube.So far this has been nothing but FUN for me.....Big thanks to all that are helping me along on my first F5D build (well,the Miro VooDoo does not count )
Apr 17, 2012, 04:43 AM
"The Judge"
VooDoo, looks very good..
Apr 17, 2012, 05:06 PM
Got the servo wires routed and the 6 pin soldered on.....But i did run into something i did not expect (besides the fact that who ever cut out the bays,went deep into the wing on one of the cuts),i had to open up the servo bays for the D60's,while doing so,i realized my servo bays are not the same Oh well,i had to open one up alot more then the other so i can kick the servo a bit sideways so they will be then same angle and distance from the Aileron......OK,back to work for me
Apr 17, 2012, 08:51 PM
OK,eyes hurt from soldering those lightweight wires onto those tiny pins....

Quick Reply