Lumenier RB2205C-12 2400KV SKITZO Ceramic Bearing Motor
Thread Tools
Old Nov 28, 2012, 08:56 AM
biskit is offline
Find More Posts by biskit
Registered User
articflyer: flutter at such high speed will break the weakest link, so a strong arm will only cause something else to break(strip gears, break servo loose, tear the control surface, whatever). Aluminum will wear quickly unless you have ball joints, but ball joints also wear out quickly. Good nylon is more than adequate and a tiny drop of CA will remove any slop that might develop in a z-bend/clevis on a nylon arm.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 28, 2012, 09:34 AM
SB7 is offline
SB7
Find More Posts by SB7
SB7
I am actually really slow
Quote:
Originally Posted by biskit View Post
articflyer: flutter at such high speed will break the weakest link, so a strong arm will only cause something else to break(strip gears, break servo loose, tear the control surface, whatever). Aluminum will wear quickly unless you have ball joints, but ball joints also wear out quickly. Good nylon is more than adequate and a tiny drop of CA will remove any slop that might develop in a z-bend/clevis on a nylon arm.
Rocket City balls and ball links just dont wear out! They last for ages and are 100% slop free 100% of the time. Ive used them on helis for many years where they get an absolute hammering and they still remain slop free!
Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:15 AM
arcticflyer is online now
Find More Posts by arcticflyer
Registered User
arcticflyer's Avatar
biskit - I know what your saying...I have experienced it before...what ever you strengthen makes the next link back weaker and a chain breaks at the weakest link. I am going with aluminum servo trays, MKS's, heli links, aluminum control horns, and 3M 5200 along the hinge line in the Monster. It will have to rip the servo out of the wing and if that happens....it was it's time to go so to speak

Slowbarless - I looked at those links awhile back and decided to go with them. After seeing my 3D heli buddies thrash those things it always amazed me that they didn't come apart in mid air.

However with that said...we all know that these things all have an "unknown" expiration date on them. Could be a servo wire, receiver glitch, battery failure, or "dumb thumb" but sooner or later it's curtains
Old Nov 28, 2012, 11:52 AM
VooDoo Child is offline
Find More Posts by VooDoo Child
Drinks Day Old Expired Milk
VooDoo Child's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowBarless View Post
Nice fix! Pretty sure the Avioniks are done the same way with the brass inserts. Mine is 4 years old and the threads are still good . There's no need to really crank down on the bolts. If you're concerned about them losening just get some cheap clear tape and put over the bolts before you fly so they cant vibrate loose
It was nice whenn I had the Neu motor on 5s in there,cause when the packs would puff,it pushed the wing up and made things REAL TIGHT .....But I have never had a screw come lose....but I am sure I just jinxed myself
Old Nov 28, 2012, 03:10 PM
Peter M is offline
Find More Posts by Peter M
Registered User
Peter M's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Machine View Post
Do I need to be concerned that the wheel collar is touching the back of the motor or do I need to leave a gap ?
WM,

You just need to be sure the collar contacts the inner race of the rear bearing and not the bearing dust cover.

Often there is a small washer placed between the collar and the bearing to ensure this occurs or alternatively the collar has a tapered face to provide the necessary clearence for the dustcover.

The collar is generally located so that just a touch of end float remains so that as the motor heats up it doesn't lock up the bearings.

Regards
Peter
Old Nov 28, 2012, 05:14 PM
TheBlood+ is offline
Find More Posts by TheBlood+
Heavy thinker..I mean tinkerer
TheBlood+'s Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowBarless View Post
Rocket City balls and ball links just dont wear out! They last for ages and are 100% slop free 100% of the time. Ive used them on helis for many years where they get an absolute hammering and they still remain slop free!
Could someone show me a link to these balls and ball links from Rocket City?
Thanks

Also what do you guys think of the stock horns that the Swist comes with?
Last edited by TheBlood+; Nov 28, 2012 at 05:22 PM.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 05:27 PM
TheBlood+ is offline
Find More Posts by TheBlood+
Heavy thinker..I mean tinkerer
TheBlood+'s Avatar
Stock hardware pic.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 05:36 PM
VooDoo Child is offline
Find More Posts by VooDoo Child
Drinks Day Old Expired Milk
VooDoo Child's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcticflyer View Post
After seeing what happened to VooDoo's servo control arm when the flutter hit there is no way I am using anything but aluminum above 225mph on any of my speed planes. Am switching the Monster to MKS thin wing with aluminum arms and aluminum control horns.
If you look at the pic,the arm did not break due to the flutter,it broke on landing.....The flutter broke the epoxy that held the servo to the wing,and also knocked the servo cover off the wing,which also was held with epoxy So the servo and linkage was hanging when i landed,as it came in pretty hot....after all that happened in that SHORT TIME-i just wanted it on the ground Since i have made the Tri-Lerons part of the wing,the plane is going faster then when i had the issue,with no more issues,with the same servo and linkage (only a new arm)
Old Nov 28, 2012, 08:55 PM
SB7 is offline
SB7
Find More Posts by SB7
SB7
I am actually really slow
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlood+ View Post
Could someone show me a link to these balls and ball links from Rocket City?
Thanks

Also what do you guys think of the stock horns that the Swist comes with?
They are also sold under the 'Quick Uk' name

http://www.quickuk.eu/cat/general_pa...s___links.html
Old Nov 29, 2012, 07:22 AM
War Machine is offline
Find More Posts by War Machine
Registered User
TheBlood+ - I reckon the stock horns looked a bit flimsy but they may be OK. Im using CF horms. Im using the stock plug - its nice and thin. What plug are you going to use ?
Old Nov 29, 2012, 08:48 AM
TheBlood+ is offline
Find More Posts by TheBlood+
Heavy thinker..I mean tinkerer
TheBlood+'s Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Machine View Post
TheBlood+ - I reckon the stock horns looked a bit flimsy but they may be OK. Im using CF horms. Im using the stock plug - its nice and thin. What plug are you going to use ?
I thought the same thing about the stock horns, flimsy looking. I'm going to use the stock plug also, it looks nice and compact.
Where are you getting your CF horns from, or you just making them.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 09:26 AM
magrinsi is offline
Find More Posts by magrinsi
Registered User
magrinsi's Avatar
What do you think of these?



http://shop.lindinger.at/product_inf...ducts_id=45363
Old Nov 29, 2012, 09:30 AM
War Machine is offline
Find More Posts by War Machine
Registered User
From FD Modellbau in Germany (Rolf D) - he makes them.
What set up have you decided on ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlood+ View Post
I thought the same thing about the stock horns, flimsy looking. I'm going to use the stock plug also, it looks nice and compact.
Where are you getting your CF horns from, or you just making them.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 08:24 PM
VooDoo Child is offline
Find More Posts by VooDoo Child
Drinks Day Old Expired Milk
VooDoo Child's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlood+ View Post
I thought the same thing about the stock horns, flimsy looking. I'm going to use the stock plug also, it looks nice and compact.
Where are you getting your CF horns from, or you just making them.
The stock stuff will work just fine,unless you plan on pushing this thing into the Stupid Fast Zone.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 09:03 PM
TheBlood+ is offline
Find More Posts by TheBlood+
Heavy thinker..I mean tinkerer
TheBlood+'s Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Machine View Post
From FD Modellbau in Germany (Rolf D) - he makes them.
What set up have you decided on ?
I'm going with a 4-5 cell set-up Mega 16/35/1.5, ice Lite 100 ESC and also a CC10amp bec. I'm prolly going to just start with 4s because I have some on hand from my EF-1 stuff, but that'll prolly bore me fairly quick.


Thread Tools