Jan 19, 2011, 12:34 PM
Fly Like A Thing Posessed!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancer31
Probably wrong, again, but if anybody gets one of these http://www.harborfreight.com/180-wat...-gun-4328.html
plug the thing in, pull the trigger, and move the tip near that little steel wrench that comes with it, (or a loose steel nail, or any other ferrous thing, EXCEPT A PERMANENT MAGNET MOTOR), and see if there is any reaction.
In the old days, those pistol-grip solder guns were just a transformer with a shorted secondary, (the soldering tip), and ran on 60 Hertz AC, which was very heavily present, around the soldering tip, when in use. Unless physics has changed, an AC field will not do any good to a permanent magnet, so if you use such a gun on one of your motors, and later wonder why it doesn't run like it should, that could be the reason.
I can't say if the subject gun has been modified, to prevent it giving a problem, or not. (Rectifying the secondary to DC would be a way to fix it,
and they may have done that, on the Harbor freight tool. I hope so.)
You're right... any time an AC current runs through a coil of wire, an alternating magnetic field is produced. The little molecules in a nearby magnet get jostled all around by this and randomized, and thus the field is either weakened or even cancelled outright. This is the principle behind degaussers, used in lots of things but especially CRT displays. Great for the intended purpose, really bad for things that need to keep a magnetic field.

Rick NR417
to remove ads between posts
Jan 19, 2011, 12:35 PM
Bye Bye VP Aug 2010 - Aug 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen Heilig
I think I found the reason why somebody might have got a bit distracted when he spelled my name wrong.
Well, The Chuckster has to keep the ol' wrist supple for all those power off, test launches.
Jan 19, 2011, 12:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry__
Well, The Chuckster has to keep the ol' wrist supple for all those power off, test launches.
*snort* pfffhahahahaha! You know you can use that Jergen's at the same time as doing the wrist exercises, too!

Rick NR417
Jan 19, 2011, 12:59 PM
My remarks about the motors were not meant as criticism; I often modify my own planes to suit my tastes. I tend to prefer "smooth and slow" planes myself. I've seen on the Stryker threads where some guys are extensively beefing up their planes to handle massive power. It sort of scared me just watching one video of a 6S Stryker that was supposedly clocked at over 100mph. My own 2S Stryker weighs ~13oz and hits maybe 35-40mph. Top speed of my Easystar is under 30mph. I guess I'm just old(er) and slow.

Tony
Last edited by t-turley; Jan 19, 2011 at 01:05 PM.
Jan 19, 2011, 01:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-turley
My remarks about the motors were not meant as criticism; I often modify my own planes to suit my tastes. I tend to prefer "smooth and slow" planes myself. I've seen on the Stryker threads where some guys are extensively beefing up their planes to handle massive power. It sort of scared me just watching one video of a 6S Stryker that was supposedly clocked at around 200mph, if my memory is correct. My own 2S Stryker weighs ~13oz and hits maybe 35-40mph. Top speed of my Easystar is under 30mph. I guess I'm just old(er) and slow.

Tony
No biggie... Sorry if I came off a little sharp in my reply. We all prefer what we prefer, and I can see the beauty of the slow side of it as well as the animal beauty of the powerful side. I'm kinda glad I had the extra power today because I flew in a pretty strong wind. I did good, right until uh... what happened happened. I think I could have flown out both packs more or less just fine had everything stayed together, lol. Annnnywayyyy... 200mph?? For real? That's FAR too fast for me. Right now at this stage I am comfortable with say 60 to 70 but beyond that I start to feel a little nervous about my ability to control it safely. I'll probably get to where I am ok with 100mph, but I don't even comprehend how people can even see them to fly them faster than that.

One thing, my extra motor power created a situation where my crash today was harder than it could have been. Plain and simple, had I not panicked and forgot to cut the throttle, it would have been less intense a crash. Put a rocket in the hands of a newbie flyer and all hell breaks loose, lol. Well, it's not a rocket, but it can go from 300 feet to zero in no time if you're not thinking.

Rick NR417
Jan 19, 2011, 01:16 PM
NEVER GIVE UP!
Lol I have been sitting on this checkout screen for almost 2 hours...anyone care to comment on my setup posted a page or 2 back? Then I can stop annoying you guys =D
Jan 19, 2011, 01:43 PM
Sorry you're having to wait... Myself, I'm just too much of a newbie to want to take responsibility for the choices you're going to make. I'm just not experienced enough to go there. Lol, I mean, you're talking to a guy that just lost his FPV camera out in a big field because of a missing screw in a servo!

Rick NR417
Jan 19, 2011, 01:45 PM
NEVER GIVE UP!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightRunner417
Sorry you're having to wait... Myself, I'm just too much of a newbie to want to take responsibility for the choices you're going to make. I'm just not experienced enough to go there. Lol, I mean, you're talking to a guy that just lost his FPV camera out in a big field because of a missing screw in a servo!

Rick NR417
lol it's cool man, I understand....I'll take any feedback be it from a pro or an intermediate...let me knwo what you guys think...
thanks
Jan 19, 2011, 02:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklynstar23
Anyway here is what my FINAL set up will be:

Easy Star Airplane w/o electronics
Two HS-82MG servos
AR500 RX bound to a DX7
40-Amp Lite Pro Switch-Mode BEC Brushless ESC (EFLA1040L, connectors have alrdy been soldered on, except for the ones that go on the motor)
RCTimer BC2826-6 2200KV Outrunner Brushless Motor (will be mounted on the outside using Dr Kiwi's mod, see link for pics/description https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=9527)
Zippy Flightmax 3S 11.1v 25c 2200 lipo batteries
APC 6x4e prop

Anything else? Am I missing anything? ...
HS-82MG are "overkill" for a model like the EasyStar. Normal HS-81 or HS-82 are more than adequate.

40A ESC is "overkill" too. A 30A ESC will do.

Does your motor come with a prop adapter? Otherwise you will need one.

Connectors between battery and ESC match?

Silicon cable and suitable heat shrink tubing to extend motor or ESC cables?

Jürgen
Jan 19, 2011, 02:36 PM
Quote:
HS-82MG are "overkill" for a model like the EasyStar. Normal HS-81 or HS-82 are more than adequate.

Jürgen
Yes, I mean, how many amps do people draw on 3s on the EasyStar? I have to admit that I haven't checked mine yet (will do that soon), but I'm aiming for less than 20amps on full throttle on 3s. I'd think that would be a good, solid performing EasyStar, right? (sorry if that info is somewhere else in the 8 gazillion EasyStar forum entries and I didn't see that)
Jan 19, 2011, 02:46 PM
NEVER GIVE UP!
Quote:

Jürgen
I picked the 82mg because of the metal gears, really dont wanna crash because of a bad servo with a 300$ camera on board..

The 40amp esc matches my battery and adapters for it...I also picked 40amp because I want to leave room for upgrades and/or to use it on another plane (if and when).

the silicon cable/heat shrink MIGHT be a problem but a fellow Rc Grouper has offered to do soldering for me if I give him the needed components and pay for shipping which I dont mind at all.

Not too sure about the prop adapter but I will find out...what about servo extensions? Do I need those?

thanks

*EDIT*

Been reading a lot about all this soldering it seems easy...let me run this by you guys...

Say I want to extend the wires from my ESC to reach my motor, I simply:

1)Strip the wires bare about 1/4 of an inch
2)Get extension wires of some sort? I am confused about this can I use any ol' wire or do I need the EXACT wires from my ESC and if so how do I get them?
3)Put the heat shrink tubing on
4)Twist the ends of what you want to solder together and drip soder on them until they are bound
5)Once it cools slide the heat shrink over them and apply heat with a hair dryer
6)????
7) Done!

Lol, does that seem about right?
Last edited by Brooklynstar23; Jan 19, 2011 at 03:50 PM.
Jan 19, 2011, 04:27 PM
It seems the Turnigy 40A plush is out of stock on HK. Is there a feasible alternative on HK that's actually in stock? Thanks in advance
Jan 19, 2011, 04:58 PM
Will this ESC:
http://hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store...idProduct=9483

work fine with this motor?: http://hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store...idproduct=5203
Jan 19, 2011, 05:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklynstar23
Been reading a lot about all this soldering it seems easy...let me run this by you guys...

Say I want to extend the wires from my ESC to reach my motor, I simply:

1)Strip the wires bare about 1/4 of an inch
2)Get extension wires of some sort? I am confused about this can I use any ol' wire or do I need the EXACT wires from my ESC and if so how do I get them?
3)Put the heat shrink tubing on
4)Twist the ends of what you want to solder together and drip soder on them until they are bound
5)Once it cools slide the heat shrink over them and apply heat with a hair dryer
6)????
7) Done!

Lol, does that seem about right?
#4 Sounds so very wrong to me but perhaps it's just badly worded. You don't drip solder onto the wires, you press the tip of the iron against the bare part of the wire and feed solder to the place where tip and wire meet. Dripping onto the wire will only result in it hitting and splattering right off. Properly applied, the solder will flow over the surface mostly on it's own, rather a lot like in Matrix I where Neo got mirror-gooped.

You can use pretty much any good, flexible, BRAIDED copper wire you like so long as it's fairly large gauge, like say 12 gauge which is around 2mm in diameter, the wire itself and not the outer insulation jacket. It's important that it be copper, for conductivity, braided, for flexibility and thus durability, and soft braids have lots of hair fine wires for that reason - extra durability under mechanical stress. The gauge is all about current handling capability, without which the wire will heat up and could begin to melt the insulation, or small gauge enough with enough current, melt the wire itself. 12 gauge is what my ESC uses I think, either that or 14, and it has to because it's passing a LOT of current, about 40 amps or just shy at peak power. That's roughly 400 watts of power with the 3S lipo under a load. Wow... I'm pushing 400 watts? Lol I never thought about it till just now but yep, watts = volts x amps and I'm fairly sure my motor is pulling close to 40 at roughly 10VDC.

Anyway, that's my two cents for now. If I think of something else I'll be sure and bug ya with that too, haha.

You starting to feel the excitement yet? You're getting close now! I just lost my FPV camera which I loved before I ever got into RC planes, and I just repaired some moderate damage to the Easy, and still I'm all psyched for the next time out there. :-)

Rick NR417
Jan 19, 2011, 05:39 PM
Ok, so how was your day? Mine? I lost my camera wahhhhhhh!!

Second test of the Easy with the FPV system and some little changes that made a BIG improvement to the video feed. I had suspected that running my laptop and the VRX both of the car cigarette lighter was causing the banding I was seeing in the FPV video feed. In other words, nothing to do with the video system onboard the plane. Turns out I was right! I ran the VRX as usual but powered by a 3S lipo, and the video was VASTLY improved. Remember that if you run into similar problems - run the VRX on it's own power supply, they're prone to interference.

I also fixed the crackly mic by simply heating it with a hair dryer, so I was right about that too... it was moisture that got into the element. They're very sensitive to that, I've had em go all into crackles just from high humidity. So, fixed that too and gave it all a test flight on a very windy day that I wasn't really prepared for. I almost crashed it once, pulled it out all of a foot above ground lol, then DID crash it but damage was negligeable, and then the whopper happened... I couldn't understand it until later on when I looked the plane over because it just suddenly dropped out of the sky, went into a death spiral, and wouldn't respond. I panicked a bit and didn't even think to kill the throttle much less which way to apply elevator to minimize the catastrophe. I was thinking all kinds of things from radio failure to some bizarre wind phenomenon, didn't know what to make of it. Turned out that I had somehow forgotten to screw the rudder servo arm down, no screw at ALL in it, and it just finally worked itself loose. No servo, no rudder, no control, simple as that.

When I picked the plane up out of the grass, my mind was so fixated on the body damage that I didn't notice the camera was missing. I walked away and got over 50 feet before realizing, and then I couldn't even really remember what general spot the plane crashed at, let alone where to look in the 3' tall grass for a 1.5"x1.5"x0.5" cctv camera. Totally a needle in a haystack. I actually walked back to the general area and just laughed... like... sure... as if.

Also, somewhere down the line, the nut for the elevator horn mounting spun itself off and so I've lost that too, thus I am grounded for a little while till I can get a replacement. Speaking of that, I don't suppose anyone knows the size and threading for those parts? I didn't lose the rod clamp screw thingee, just the nut and washer, which I could easily and quickly replace via eBay if I had the specs.

Anyway, here's the footage. Shockingly shorter than my previous vid - this one's only 12 minutes! I was going to just do a very short one with some music to it, but since it turned into such an event, I decided to just document the whole thing. Good material for newbies to see on so many levels, starting with just how the problem arose in the first place, and ending with "Check your parts BEFORE you leave the crash site!"

EasyStar 2nd FPV System Test And Flight Failure, 1-19-11 (12 min 6 sec)

I'm *thrilled* about the video quality. The glitching was minimal and cooresponds beautifully to the classic transmission and reception patterns of simple dipole antennas, and the range was MUCH better. I could fly FPV with this bugger NO problem, assuming I don't get myself lost or forget another key fastening part of my plane. I'm a little burned by the crash damage and the loss of the camera particularly, but the damage repaired amazingly well (ELAPOR RULES!!! Love it!) and I'm feeling very grounded already. I'll be ansty as hell to fly again by the time I get my new camera and find a nut for that control rod fastener.

Rick NR417
Last edited by NightRunner417; Jan 19, 2011 at 05:53 PM.

Quick Reply