Jan 19, 2011, 09:37 AM
Argue for your limitations

Motor choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen Heilig
And how does a person without a whatt-meter check the Watts his (or her) drive is actually drawing?

The 1g/W (motor weight/Power In) rule was quite common in the early days of electric flight, when we were still using cheap brushed ferrite motors.

Jürgen
My point is the same as NFZ's (I hope). It is a guideline to pick a motor for an airplane. NOT a rule. After thinking about it, I think it is brilliant for someone without a watt meter to make a reasonable guess about what motor to use if they don't find moto-calc, webcalc, or whatever. It says nothing about a watt meter. However, when I was a newbee, I would have been totally lost on how to use any of those tools. A person has to have some basic knowledge just to be able to understand how to use the tool. Of course, we would all like everyone to have a WM. But, that simply is not the case because of money or preference, or whatever. In the absence of a WM or availability or inability to use one of the tools, the formula is excellent IMO.
AJ
Last edited by ajbaker; Jan 19, 2011 at 10:00 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 19, 2011, 09:41 AM
Fly Like A Thing Posessed!
Forgot to mention something - high rates can make for VERY aerobatic performance. Try it in a sim sometime if you can... You can make an aircraft flip all around like you're the headliner at an RC airshow, lol. It's a freakin riot once you get used to it and are able to keep it from getting out of control. :-)

Hey, guess what. Florida is living up to it's reputation, and the weather is clearing right up! Just waiting for a lipo to finish charging and off I go! :-)

I can't wait for summer. FPV view of thunderstorms is going to be just absolutely killer, providing I don't get too close! :-D

Rick NR417
Jan 19, 2011, 09:54 AM
Long time newbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightRunner417
Interesting... Do you use any kind of rudder or elevator enhancement mod or ailerons or anything like that?

I'm on the farthest hole out for the elevator and next farthest out on the rudder, but I also have a Win Dixie card super glued to the rudder, which I am sure does a lot. I'm also on the farthest holes out on the two HXT900 servos, using the single arm 6 hole servo arms.

Rick NR417
The only rudder mod I have is running the hinge all the way to the top. I haven't had a need for more than that. I do have ailerons but even before I did the ailerons the nearly stock rudder was enough. I'm a little lazy so my expo and rates are set the same for all channels. Best bet is to make your own adjustments using small changes until you find out what is confortable to you. I first started out with more expo but as I got experience I could fly well enough with what I use now.
Jan 19, 2011, 09:56 AM

Setup suggestion

Quote:
Hey, here's a question for the group. For those of you out there with radios that allow high rates, how do you prefer to fly your Easy, rates and expo wise?

I flew with my T7CAP for the first time yesterday but I didn't try higher rates, wasn't sure it would end well. I'm thinking of toning the high rates down to just above normal and trying that just to see what it's like to have that extra bit of throw.

Edit: Afterthought - Is it also a bad idea to make your Easy perform too agressively due to the possibility of airframe damage? How much can they take?

Rick NR417
The only suggestion that I would make is to give as much rudder throw as you can. It can be flown with no extension, but, later, you might want to extend the rudder or add ailerons (recommended). Since you can fly the CAP, I can pretty much assure you that you will find this much simpler to fly. It is, after all, a trainer.
AJ
Last edited by ajbaker; Jan 19, 2011 at 10:01 AM.
Jan 19, 2011, 09:56 AM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker
My point is the same as NFZ's (I hope). It is a guideline to pick a motor for an airplane. NOT a rule. After thinking about it, I think it is brilliant for someone without a watt meter to make a reasonable guess about what motor to use. It says nothing about a watt meter. Of course, we would all like everyone to have a WM. But, that simply is not the case because of money or preference, or whatever. In the absence of a WM, the formula is excellent IMO.
AJ
Hi AJ,

Correct on all counts! I personally use it to estimate how many watts any particular, run of the mill average motor we would buy off of HK will produce, safely, without burning up.

Sure we can always use Steve Neu motors (et al) and get a lot more watts per gram out of our motors for any given weight... but this simple rule will allow beginners and old pros alike to get a good estimate of what the motor is capable of, especially when dealing with vendors who, shall we say, are quite generous in their specs.

Chuck
Jan 19, 2011, 10:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFlyZone
Jergen,

At least now you understand that power is not pulled from a battery. That's the important thing. The learning process. I used to think that way myself. So just thought I'd spread the knowledge your way...

Chuck
I know your eyes are bad, but could you at least try to get my name right?

A battery is an electrochemical storage device. It stores energy and the energy content is usually measured in Wh (Watthours). Battery power (P battery = voltage x current = W) is converted by the electric motor into mechanical power (P motor = T x Pi x rpm/30).

T = Torque in Nm, Pi = 3.14...

Jürgen
Jan 19, 2011, 10:12 AM
Quote:
The only suggestion that I would make is to give as much rudder throw as you can. It can be flown with no extension, but, later, you might want to extend the rudder or add ailerons (recommended). Since you can fly the CAP, I can pretty much assure you that you will find this much simpler to fly. It is, after all, a trainer.
AJ
I think you meant "since you can fly the Skyfun". On that subject, man once I got used to it, I really loved the Skyfun. Elevon planes are just, wow... So responsive, yet still graceful, love it. She's badly battle damaged now and in the shop but one day she will arise again to wreak havoc on an unsuspecting grassy field... full of cows.

Almost forgot my point for a sec there... I know that an elevon plane isn't the same as one with elevator, rudder and ailerons, but I do love ailerons from my experiences with almost every version of MSFS there ever was. I may do that to the Easy yet, but I'll shelf that for another day. Already did the rudder extension thing, did it before my first flight even because I was hearing that the plane lacked rudder authority and I didn't want to get myself in a bad situation in the air and not have rudder enough to get back out. It's spunky enough right now, but I wouldn't mind it being a bit more snappy in a turn.

Thanks for the info! :-)

Charge, lipo pack, charge! The day is a wastin'!

Rick NR417
Jan 19, 2011, 10:12 AM

I Feel the Need... The Need for Speed - Maverick in Top Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-turley
I'm amazed at the motors that are being shoved in Easystars.

Tony
That is what man has done since the beginning of motors (and before). If it can fly, it can fly higher, faster, and more stable with each iteration. After all, how much fun would it be to just build it stock and never do anything to change the plane at all - boring. If it were any other way, we would have never made it to the moon (I know, some will dispute that, too). Personally, for my needs, I like to lean toward how small a motor can I use and still have a given plane fly well. I like to play the game of max flight time per mah. It is fun for me. I get my speed fix with my Stryker (I still have to break 100mph). So, I still have a lot of room to learn things there. Most guys LOVE speed - If a little is good, then a lot more must be better. I certainly enjoyed that video earlier with the guy that had a 35-36C in an EZ* and the plane became a rocket. For me, I thought it was cool. I wouldn't do it. But, it was neat to see the results of his efforts. If I can find the post, I will put it here.
AJ
Last edited by ajbaker; Jan 19, 2011 at 10:18 AM.
Jan 19, 2011, 10:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFlyZone
He's over on my blog page, combing it for errors.... He just visited it.
If I were "combing for errors" I probably would not have any more time for more important issues. I was merely looking for the percentage of your postings in the "Beginner Training Area".

Jürgen
Jan 19, 2011, 10:16 AM
Quote:
That is what man has done since the beginning of motors (and before). If it can fly, it can fly higher, faster, and vertically with each iteration. After all, how much fun would it be to just build it stock and never do anything to change the plane at all - boring. If it were any other way, we would have never made it to the moon (I know, some will dispute that, too). Personally, for my needs, I like to lean toward how small a motor can I use and still have a given plane fly well. I like to play the game of max flight time per mah. It is fun for me. I get my speed fix with my Stryker (I still have to break 100mph). So, I still have a lot of room to learn things there. Most guys LOVE speed - If a little is good, then a lot more must be better. I certain enjoyed that video earlier with the guy that had a 35-36C in an EZ* and the plane became a rocket. For me, I thought it was cool. I wouldn't do it. But, it was neat to see the results of his efforts. If I can find the post, I will put it here.
AJ
I'd like to see that post too. So, you have a Stryker... That's the plane I sim trained on in Realflight and Clearview before I got my first plane. I picked it out because it was the only one I could find that resembled a Skyfun, and now I almost can't look at a Skyfun without seeing tiger stripes on it. Though I've never actually flown one, I think the Stryker is an AWESOME plane, and I'll probably get one someday. Almost have, several times.

Rick NR417
Jan 19, 2011, 10:21 AM
Quote:
the guy that had a 35-36C in an EZ* and the plane became a rocket. For me, I thought it was cool.
With cheap outrunners and Lipo batteries, power and speed can easily be achieved.

It was a lot harder and more expensive a couple of years back:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...95&postcount=1

Jürgen
Jan 19, 2011, 10:24 AM

Speed to go

Quote:
I'd like to see that post too. So, you have a Stryker... That's the plane I sim trained on in Realflight and Clearview before I got my first plane. I picked it out because it was the only one I could find that resembled a Skyfun, and now I almost can't look at a Skyfun without seeing tiger stripes on it. Though I've never actually flown one, I think the Stryker is an AWESOME plane, and I'll probably get one someday. Almost have, several times.

Rick NR417
I stand corrected. I was wrong about it being an EZ*. But, here is the video anyhow. It is very cool IMO. It was posted by my friend Prof100. I am not clear if he was piloting or doing the video or??
AJ

Number 2 in views at 3300 is this of T28. 3.5 minutes as well.
(3 min 25 sec)

HERE is the whole post.
Jan 19, 2011, 10:27 AM
NEVER GIVE UP!
Ok, I am about to order everything...might run into a few complications if the wires on my ESC wont be able to reach the motor and rx since I am going to mount it on the top of the fus....the motor needs the billets soldered on, so I think this weekend I am going to watch videos on how to do that and get a cheap 25$~ soldering iron from Radio shack with high quality solder...I bought two servos as well HS-82MG, do I need pushrods/servo extensions? I hope a lot of parts for this plane dont have to be soldered, I am new to soldering and dont wanna mess this up lol....

Anyway here is what my FINAL set up will be:

Easy Star Airplane w/o electronics
Two HS-82MG servos
AR500 RX bound to a DX7
40-Amp Lite Pro Switch-Mode BEC Brushless ESC (EFLA1040L, connectors have alrdy been soldered on, except for the ones that go on the motor)
RCTimer BC2826-6 2200KV Outrunner Brushless Motor (will be mounted on the outside using Dr Kiwi's mod, see link for pics/description https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=9527)
Zippy Flightmax 3S 11.1v 25c 2200 lipo batteries
APC 6x4e prop

Anything else? Am I missing anything? What do you guys think of this set up for parkflying/aerial footage with a Go Pro HD? Thanks, as always
Last edited by Brooklynstar23; Jan 19, 2011 at 10:38 AM.
Jan 19, 2011, 10:28 AM
Geez finally, on both that lipo pack and the video footage from yesterday. Here's the Youtube edition of that. And now YES I realize the video is very long. If you go to the Youtube page itself, in the description comments I took the time to make a list of times and a short description of each, so you can just jump right along and see what's what. There's also the time slider, so use it freely. This is meant to document the day thoroughly but still a LOT of cuts were made. Today I'll shoot again, but it will be just for fun and much shorter. This one's more meant for educational purposes. Learn by example, how not to do things! :-D

EasyStar First FPV System Test, 1-18-11 (27 min 20 sec)

Anyway, there it is, my first FPV test with the Easy. I'm off to go fly again, got the black shirt and black hat on and mean business. Did a couple of fixes here and there, and I'm going to try some things to reduce the banding problems in the video feed. Above all, I shy fly with a lens that doesn't drift out of focus! Found out what the problem was there - there WASN'T a set screw to begin with! I forgot that I had modified this camera and the lens holder I used didn't have a set screw. Fixed that little problem last night with a drill press, a sheet metal screw, and a screwdriver. Presto, all better. Anyway, off I go to do it a little more right this time! :-)

Rick NR417
Jan 19, 2011, 10:30 AM
safer on the ground

just to say Hi

Hi to all
I've logged in for the first time since October, been having a great time in Spain

I was asked to take some photos and videos in the Sierra de Espuma in the east of Spain, what surprised me that the day I went up there it was so quiet, no wind, managed to get what my friend wanted, the only LZ was on the busy road, just managed to get it in as a car came round the corner, the bit that amazed my friend was that I caught it in in midair, (been practicing that a lot lately, love it! ) this is a clip I took from my sunglass cam, looks good with the flaps down, doesn't it Kevin??, in the photo you might be able to see two of my mini cams, one on top of the fuse the other clipped to the side under the left wing, my Sony stills cam is inside the fuse.

I hope to be on a bit more now as my friend I've given one of my spare ez* to has let me use his B/Band free!!

bye for now ray

Quick Reply