Dec 30, 2010, 09:21 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

advantages with a hex vs a quad?

There must be an advantage between the two? What is it? almost ready to pull the trigger.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 30, 2010, 09:28 AM
Drone operator & Photographer
1) able to lift more
2) Part redundancy (you will not have yaw authority if you loose a prop, but it will not come crashing down)
Dec 30, 2010, 10:31 AM
A man with too many toys
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizprod
1) able to lift more
2) Part redundancy (you will not have yaw authority if you loose a prop, but it will not come crashing down)

Advantage: redundancy

Disadvantage: You have more props to get in the way of the camera.

I like designs like the Y6 or X8 myself if your board supports those modes. They have redundancy and a good camera view. I have a HoverFly Tech board that does all of those. Do a search and you find a nice video of a Y6 flying.

Dec 30, 2010, 11:18 AM
you have redundancy but u have to compensate the failed motor with stick movements!
i dont know how it reacts if u have a selfleveling board but in hh mode u have to.

(0 min 45 sec)
Dec 30, 2010, 12:05 PM
Tri-Quad-Hexa-Octo-copters!!
The video Warhox posted is the first ever non-scripted or anticipated hexacopter save with one motor stopped in flight. This is likely due to his outstanding multicopter flying abilities and the light weight of his hexa. Youtube and Vimeo are full of hexa's falling out of the sky with one motor or prop failure. If you want a chance to land with a motor or prop failure because you are flying high dollar camera equipment, then an octocopter is the way to go. Any quadrocopter board in existence can be made into an octo with y-servo cables. Just be sure to pull the 5v line from all but one motor going to the board to prevent voltage noise and possible ESC BEC problems from paralleling the ESC 5v supplies.
Cheers,
Jim
Quadrocopter and Tricopter Mega Link Index

Quick Reply