Jul 23, 2003, 09:09 PM
Thread OP

New to Heli's! ECO 16 first mistake??

Hello all! I am new to helicopters and I just learned of this site after I purchased A new ECO 16 kit for $150.. I had heard the ECO 8 was a good copter, so I figured the 16 would be that much better. And at half the price. How could I go wrong!?! But all I have read seams to me the ECO 16 may have been a bad choice! Dose anyone have anything positive on the ECO 16 or should I leave it in the box and sell it to get an 8?? Thanks alot!!! Luckylandings!!!
to remove ads between posts
Jul 23, 2003, 09:28 PM
well not too many people are fans of the 16, too heavy, breaks even more easier with the added weight etc.. etc...

take a look on the Ikarus bbs:

http://www.ikarus-modellbau.de/ubbth...reads.php?Cat=
Jul 23, 2003, 09:32 PM
Where'd you buy the ECO 16 for only $150?

Inquiring minds want to know!

Toshi
Jul 23, 2003, 09:39 PM
You could just buy an Eco 8 boom, belt, and blades. This would turn it into an Eco 8. The wider landing skids that come with the 16 will be more stable than the Eco 8 ones.

After you learn to fly and get good, you can install your nice new 16 parts you still have to make it a 16.

Build the kit and go for it, just buy the parts I listed above, but get a decent radio and build it for the CCPM set up, and not the mechanical mixer version!

You'll regret the mechanical mixer unless you're an expert builder.
Last edited by Bourbon; Jul 23, 2003 at 09:45 PM.
Jul 23, 2003, 10:45 PM
Or, you could just leave it in the box sell it and get yourself a Logo 10
Jul 23, 2003, 10:57 PM
Thread OP
Thanks for the info.!! Toshi, I got it on ebay. New in the box newly listed BUY IT NOW!! LOL!! That is why I jumped at it before researching first. I felt it wouldn't last long.. Now im giving myself a headache with this thing. Aveox?Razor?Triton?Mega? Brushed or brushless??Speed controler? Ciris or ikarus gyro? Best radio for the $ with CCPM as my Hitec flas 5 xsystem wont work! I have hitec rx so JR wont work!! Add CB mods before or after my first crash!! AAAAUUUUGHHHHHH!!!! Dont let me give you guys a headach to!! I will figure it out sooner or later!!LOL... Thanks again!!
Jul 23, 2003, 11:01 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally posted by Astro30
Or, you could just leave it in the box sell it and get yourself a Logo 10
Thought about it! Where is the best deal on these as there are none on ebay!!!.LOL
Jul 23, 2003, 11:11 PM
They go for about $339 at most places, www.rc-direct.com , www.aero-model.com etc. It's more than the Eco but from what I hear, you'd have to spend at least over $100 to make it close to as durable or flyable as the Logo 10, just from what I heard, I never personally tried an Eco 8 or 16 though...
Jul 23, 2003, 11:41 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally posted by Astro30
They go for about $339 at most places, www.rc-direct.com , www.aero-model.com etc. It's more than the Eco but from what I hear, you'd have to spend at least over $100 to make it close to as durable or flyable as the Logo 10, just from what I heard, I never personally tried an Eco 8 or 16 though...
Checked it out! Good looking copter.. Do you know if that jet ranger kit will fit the 10. Or do they make one? Thanks again!! Sorry for the questions! I wouldn't want to piss that Fred off!!
Jul 24, 2003, 12:20 AM
Hello

The Eco 16 is a good heli because the Eco 8 is a good heli(both are almost exactily the same). Remember, you dont have to put 16 cells on it. Infact I would only put 12 cells max on it. The longer boom just makes the rudder more effective.

So, with that said, Ill say you got a very good deal to pick up an Eco 16 for 150.

Have fun with it.

Carlo
Last edited by Eco8gator; Jul 24, 2003 at 12:47 AM.
Jul 24, 2003, 02:18 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Luckylandings
Checked it out! Good looking copter.. Do you know if that jet ranger kit will fit the 10. Or do they make one? Thanks again!! Sorry for the questions! I wouldn't want to piss that Fred off!!
Hey Lucky. Heres a curve ball. If you want scale the Logo isn't a great choice either. Take a look at the Century heli site. You'll see a nice little heli called the Hawk. For less money then a Logo you can build a Hawk and convert it to electric. The best part is that the Hawk mechanics are designed specificaly for the Century scale bodies, so you won't have to mess around with the install.

Also, I have seen a few Eco16s in scale .30 size bodies. Works great.

Eric S.
Jul 24, 2003, 04:18 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally posted by Luxor
Hey Lucky. Heres a curve ball. If you want scale the Logo isn't a great choice either. Take a look at the Century heli site. You'll see a nice little heli called the Hawk. For less money then a Logo you can build a Hawk and convert it to electric. The best part is that the Hawk mechanics are designed specificaly for the Century scale bodies, so you won't have to mess around with the install.

Also, I have seen a few Eco16s in scale .30 size bodies. Works great.

Eric S.
WOW! Thats way cool!! I didn't think I would have that option with the 16!! I think I will stick with the 16 for now.. Will find out what this thing will or wont do for myself I guess.. Im sure I will be buying a few more in the near future.. Maybe try the logo or hawk next.. I see you live up by Robbie Knievel! Im just down the road from you across from Longview.. Thanks for your input!! James G.
Jul 24, 2003, 04:35 PM
Yea, Robbie is a good guy. Fun to have a couple beers with.

Lucky. Just letting you know there are quite alot of options out there.
It sounds like you prefer scale to aerobatics? If so, the Eco16 is a great choice. Some people will say it's weak, but that isn't entirely true. The Eco line of E-Helis were built in the days before high power brushless setups, and new battery tech. So the Eco helis were built LIGHT to increase duration, they were never really built to do aggressive aerobatics, but they can with the right motor combo and a few mods.

The Ecos really shine in scale bodies because the mechanics are so light. Resulting in incredible flight times for electrics.

Private Message me and will talk some more. My RC club is having a huge fly-in in a couple of weeks. There will be a few helis there, including my 3 Eco8s. One is am all Alu/Carbon brushless hotrod, another is a brushless powered Jet Ranger. And finally a brushed, box stock trainer. A couple of Logos and some JR Voyager Es, and of course Piccolos and Hornets, Oh, and Coronas too.

Eric S.
Jul 24, 2003, 08:27 PM

some parts for eco 16

Hi Luckylandings,
I have a few things you might be interested in.
NIB Aveox 1412/3y motor
used Jet Ranger fuselage
The motor is good for up to 16 cells with a 160 controller. I'm using a 1406/3y in my eco 8 and it has been extremely dependable. I bought it to upgade but never did get around to it. The fuselage is used but unpainted. I'd give you a good deal on either
I also have a new Ikarus pitch gauge. I have a lot of other eco stuff athat might help you get started. Let me know if you're interested and I can give you some prices.
Geof

Quick Reply