The REAL (#11) HD Key Cam Thread (PLEASE! READ POSTS #1-#3 BEFORE POSTING QUESTIONS!) - Page 663 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Feb 10, 2014, 10:14 PM
Dance the skies...
Quote:
Originally Posted by victapilot
If it is a D lens, it is probably #16, interchangeable lens modules. A badly installed lens module can give pixelation.
And so can the computer/player during playback if they are not up to the task.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 11, 2014, 01:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by victapilot
If it is a D lens, it is probably #16, interchangeable lens modules. A badly installed lens module can give pixelation.
With all the effort made by Tom ... still people mess up big time between #11, #16, #18 etc

It would just be enough to check post n1 made by Tom, for know without any doubt which camera people own

Anyhow ... interesting to know ... I though that a badly installed lens module would make the camera not work at all ... having pixelation instead ... sound "interesting"

Feb 11, 2014, 02:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by akfreak
You know I am pissed off a tonight. In good faith a bought a Keychain camera (D lens) from a fellow here on RCG, it was modded for fpv. I got it a few months back and just used it today for the first time.

The video is all pixelated (little squares everywhere) and looks terrible,. The pixelation is intermittent. I am willing to bet, its that stupid FPV mod he did. No I am out the money towards a new cam. So where is the best place to buy a new one with a D lens.

Sorry I had to vent.. and if the guy from Canada who sold me this turd see this post.. Thanks for nothing pal. I deleted my pms and don't care to even research the purchase with my CC.
The original #11 would indeed have to be modded for fpv, but I am not aware of anyone who's done a mod. The #11 didn't have a 'D' lens, the lens was also soldered to the PCB so wasn't exchangeable.
The #18, which is sometimes incorrectly sold as a #11, has an 8-pin USB non-standard socket and can be used for fpv without any modding. A wide-angle lens is available.
The #16 has a standard 5-pin USB plug. The very first versions did not have video-out (fpv) but that was changed with the V2. Again, I am not aware that it's possible to mod this version for fpv. All the #16s can use the wide-angle D-lens so long it was specifically designed for the #16.

Note: In order to mod one of these cameras which doesn't support video-out (fpv) it would be necessary to remove the DSP (processor), add a contact under the chip and resolder the chip back onto the board. The chips use a BGA package which makes it all but impossible to modify the underlying circuitry. It would only be possible if someone had excellent skills and the proper equipment. I very, very much doubt your camera was modded for fpv!

Like Tom has mentioned, the pixelation on playback could well be due to an underpowered PC. I suggest you try to playback your clips using VLC Media Player. VLC has it's own built-in codecs and works extremely well where other players fail.

A badly connected lens will lead to psychedelic colors. It should not be the cause of pixelation.
Feb 11, 2014, 02:33 AM
@Tom

After #18 ... Time to close also this thread ?

Or #11 being the first real HD keycam .. still has a special place in your "heart" ?
Feb 11, 2014, 09:44 AM
Dance the skies...
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_lm_70
With all the effort made by Tom ... still people mess up big time between #11, #16, #18 etc

It would just be enough to check post n1 made by Tom, for know without any doubt which camera people own

Anyhow ... interesting to know ... I though that a badly installed lens module would make the camera not work at all ... having pixelation instead ... sound "interesting"

More commonly, a ribbon cable that is partially inserted or tilted in the socket can cause what is described in the #16 thread as "wild psychedelic rainbow colors". I've never seen it cause blocky pixilation, but it maybe possible.
Feb 11, 2014, 09:48 AM
Just thumbing through...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank
More commonly, a ribbon cable that is partially inserted or tilted in the socket can cause what is described in the #16 thread as "wild psychedelic rainbow colors". I've never seen it cause blocky pixilation, but it maybe possible.
Speculation on my part, but I was thinking of MILD psychedelic rainbow colors being interpreted as pixilation, but I do like your theory about inadequate processing power of the computer used.
Feb 11, 2014, 09:56 AM
Dance the skies...
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_lm_70
@Tom

After #18 ... Time to close also this thread ?

Or #11 being the first real HD keycam .. still has a special place in your "heart" ?
No, this thread (and the obsolete camera it covers) is really old and deserves to be closed more than the #18 thread. So, I am hereby closing it. If anyone has questions about the #11 camera, they can simply make a new thread post (or contact the vendor!).