Feb 17, 2012, 06:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by moab
My investigators use these for undercover assignments. I have a new employee starting. And not enough time to transcribe Techmoans video.

I always read thru the FAQ's before posting. I'm under a deadline. And was just hoping for a little help.

P.
Go to post #3, bullet one for basic operating instructions of the camera.

Here is a scan of the instructions (written in Chinglish) that came with my #11.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/atta...mentid=3693617
Last edited by Prof100; Feb 17, 2012 at 06:30 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 17, 2012, 06:45 PM
Post #3's instructions are for the #11. Not the Jumbo. As they refer to a "small button". My Jumbo does not have a "small button". They are all of equal size.

"Taking pictures and stills:

A quick press of the power button turns the camera on, and shortly after the LED lights it will blink once. It's in movie mode, this is default when it's powered up.
A quick press of the small button will start recording a movie, the LED will flash a few times then go dark while it records. Quick press the small button again, and it stops recording and the LED comes on again. It's still in movie mode, and you should be able to record another movie.
While it's in movie mode (and not recording), quick press the larger power button to switch to picture mode. It will blink the LED once to confirm that it changed modes. Now a quick press of the small button takes a picture, and the LED blinks once when it takes it. (I say blinks, it goes dark for about 1/2 a second)
You can now quick press the large button to go back to movie mode, or hold down the large button until the LED switches off the turn the camera off."

Thank you for the Chinese version. We misplaced ours.

We'll have to transcribe Techmoans video to have it make sense.

Patrick
Feb 17, 2012, 06:49 PM
I wonder if someone can replace the words "small button" with "lock button" or "unlock button"? Then it would make sense.

Patrick
Feb 17, 2012, 06:51 PM
Dance the skies...
Thread OP
Quote:
Post #3's instructions are for the #11. Not the Jumbo. As they refer to a "small button". My Jumbo does not have a "small button". They are all of equal size.
Patrick
from post #2:
Update 6/2/2011

" A new "Jumbo" version of the #11 has just been released. It is functionally identical to the v3 with identical CMOS/Lens module and video processor IC, but has a different circuit board layout and a larger battery, good for about 100 min. recording times. It uses the same firmware and comes in three slightly different case configurations with several different trim schemes as well. Case sizes are 65x35x18mm or 70x34x18mm depending on what style you picked (compare to the original 51x32x14mm case). All of these will be referred to generically as the "Jumbo #11" in this thread and will be given no other special coverage."

Both have a power button and a shutter button.! Neither has a "lock" or "unlock" button. If you had just reflected on this and noted what the small button of the small version does, it all makes sense, or should.
Last edited by Tom Frank; Feb 17, 2012 at 07:08 PM.
Feb 17, 2012, 07:05 PM
Found my manual. And following the directions it only records for about 4 seconds and beeps while it does so. Is my battery just dead?

Patrick
Feb 17, 2012, 07:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank
from post #2:
Update 6/2/2011

" A new "Jumbo" version of the #11 has just been released. It is functionally identical to the v3 with identical CMOS/Lens module and video processor IC, but has a different circuit board layout and a larger battery, good for about 100 min. recording times. It uses the same firmware and comes in three slightly different case configurations with several different trim schemes as well. Case sizes are 65x35x18mm or 70x34x18mm depending on what style you picked (compare to the original 51x32x14mm case). All of these will be referred to generically as the "Jumbo #11" in this thread and will be given no other special coverage."

Both have a power button and a shutter button! Follow the small #11 instructions, relating the size of the buttons to their functions on each of the cameras.
That does not help. You would have to have the original instructions for this cam. As it's the one with three buttons all the same size. So we probably should put up some instructions pertaining directly to "unlock" buttons and "lock" buttons. I'm trying to figure it out now. But I think my camera may be dead.

Patrick
Feb 17, 2012, 07:12 PM
Sorry. Not trying to be a PITA. I happen to have that one black Jumbo cam that is square. And the buttons are all the same size. I'll figure it out. If I can get it to record for more than 6 seconds.

PAtrick
Feb 17, 2012, 07:19 PM
Dance the skies...
Thread OP
Quote:
Sorry. Not trying to be a PITA. I happen to have that one black Jumbo cam that is square. And the buttons are all the same size. I'll figure it out. If I can get it to record for more than 6 seconds.

PAtrick
Bottom button is power... that's pretty obvious when you push it since the LED should come on if the battery is charged. The top button (small button on the small #11) is the shutter and does nothing until it is powered up. Then the instructions for the #11 (small version) describe the rest.

If you had it recording and it only lasted for 6 seconds, the battery might not be charged, or could be defective, or the flash card may have issues, or worse (hopefully not), the camera could have a defect. Give it a try and see. You can post here if you still have problems.

The web sites where you buy the camera have had pictures of the camera showing the buttons (unless they've changed). The center "button" is a dummy on all the Jumbo cameras. I've added this last sentence to paragraph I referenced from post #2.
Last edited by Tom Frank; Feb 17, 2012 at 07:36 PM.
Feb 17, 2012, 08:17 PM
Jumbo #11 Key Chain Camera How To:

The unlock button toggles camera power on and off. The lock button toggles record on and off:

Press the unlock button to power the camera up. The orange light will flash once and stay on.

Press the lock button to start recording of video. The orange light will go off.

Press the lock button again to stop recording. The orange light will come on and stay on.

Press the lock button again to start recording again. And so on.

Press and hold the unlock button again to turn the camera off. The unlock button toggles power on and off.
Feb 18, 2012, 04:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100
Finster,

The bugs are worked out in the 16. I have both. The 16 is better in terms of video quality in low light and dark to light transitions. I replaced the lens module because I screwed up the original. That new lens has better color and slightly wider AOV. The lipo will last longer because the charging circuitry in the #16 is easier on the lipo.

By the way, the #11 didn't hit the market until a year ago so how did you buy a #11 two years ago?

Bill
The #16 does have better low light than the #11 and videos do look a bit sharper...but there is still some problems with the #16 that havent been worked out yet...last I seen there was a list of sd cards that didnt work in it...

When you say the battery life on #16 will be longer is that because it takes 2.5 hours to charge? Do people have to buy these new lenses seperatly or do they now come with them?

Your rite...my #11 camera is 1 year 2 months old...not 2 years...I was thinking 2010 -2012 instead of months...but the battery in my #11 has never been replaced...so batteries will probably last a couple years before replacing...
Feb 18, 2012, 07:17 AM

Two Dead Cameras repaired

Very exciting news for me

Remember those two cameras of mine where the yellow LED was solid?

One had a truly glued CMOS cable and the larger chips also had brown glue on each corner. On one of the cameras I had previously removed the SPI memory chip and re-programmed the chip with a memory dump.

Well, as of today they both work again . I had ordered 2 CMOS modules 10 days ago. The new lens' have no glue, so I still need to focus them, but both cameras WORK!!

It was not an easy job removing the glued cable, and without the proper equipment I would think one would need a lot of patience. I ended up using a hot air soldering gun and partially melted the cable from the rear so I could peel it away from the copper wires inside. I wasn't careful enough because the microphone also dropped off! Then I used a lot of flux and Chip Quik to make a large cold (240°C) solder blob. I could then pull the stripped cable away with a pair of tweezers without lifting any tracks on the board. I cleaned up the mess using lots of acetone. Soldering on the new CMOS modules was an easy job in comparison.

On one of the cameras I had previously already removed the CMOS module and also lifted a track. It was no problem to bridge the broken track.

So, if after turning on your camera you only get a solid yellow LED, i.e. the yellow LED remains on, this is almost certainly due to a defective CMOS module!

When I connected everything up, both cameras didn't react. Nothing! After some time pressing the power button and the reset button I managed to get the yellow LED to blink - which was correct, because I had forgotten to insert the card. When I inserted the card, the camera worked!

Great satisfaction
Feb 18, 2012, 08:55 AM
Fidler & twidler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isoprop
Very exciting news for me

Remember those two cameras of mine where the yellow LED was solid?

Great satisfaction
Bril - go up one and kiss teacher
Good Job.
Mike
Feb 18, 2012, 02:41 PM
Dance the skies...
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by finster
The #16 does have better low light than the #11 and videos do look a bit sharper...but there is still some problems with the #16 that havent been worked out yet...last I seen there was a list of sd cards that didnt work in it...

When you say the battery life on #16 will be longer is that because it takes 2.5 hours to charge? Do people have to buy these new lenses seperatly or do they now come with them?
The SD card incompatibility is an issue with the #16, but at least it has a simple remedy... don't use one of the cards known to have problems. The developer is trying to find out what causes this, but with many different card architectures and embedded controllers, I personally doubt the camera can be made to fix all the card issues.

But there is another issue... the "blue sky shift to gray" issue. You can read more about it by doing a thread search for "blue sky" in the #16 camera thread. A solution is actively being worked on, but fixing this without changing the now good colors in the current v0.18 firmware will be a challenge.

The effect of longer battery life from the lowered charge current change in the #16 has yet to be documented. It theory, it could have a beneficial effect.

#16 cameras shipped since the very end of Jan. 2012 are supposed to come with the new 70 deg. lens installed. You can also buy them separately from the camera vendors for $9 delivered.

But all this is getting off topic here in the #11 thread. See the #16 thread for latest information on that camera.
Last edited by Tom Frank; Feb 18, 2012 at 02:53 PM.
Feb 18, 2012, 03:54 PM
member of TheBlindHawks

KeyChain camera mount with integrated Wide-Lens Adapter

Hi there,

today I got stuck all day long in my CAD programm. Thought I would share the result with you guys.

It's a mount for the #808 style Keychain cameras. One can use it standalone or with a 0.67x wide-angle lens. The lens can be fixed to the mount with a single drop of epoxy.

Directly from the CAD program i piped the stuff right into my CNC-mill. This is how it looks in reality (on the left you see an early prototype which was not capable of holding an extra wide-angle adapter - at least it did not work as wanted). In the middle you see the final result - right a #11 keychain.

The result works flawlessly: no dark corners and an all over the frame crisp and sharp wideangle image.
If anyone is interested I can mill more parts and offer construction kits

Cheers!
careyer
Last edited by careyer; Feb 18, 2012 at 03:59 PM.
Feb 18, 2012, 03:59 PM
Heli collector
Quote:
Originally Posted by careyer
Hi there,

today I got stuck all day long in my CAD programm. Thought I would share the result with you guys.

It's a mount for the #808 style Keychain cameras. One can use it standalone or with a 0.67x wide-angle lens. The lens can be fixed to the mount with a single drop of epoxy.

Directly from the CAD program i piped the stuff right into my CNC-mill. This is how it looks in reality (on the left you see an early prototype which was not capable of holding an extra wide-angle adapter - at least it did not work as wanted). In the middle you see the final result - right a #11 keychain.

The result works flawlessly: no dark corner and a all over the frame crisp and sharp wideangle image.
If anyone is interested I can mill more parts and offer construction kits

Cheers!
careyer
Any idea yet on a price?

Quick Reply