Jan 11, 2011, 04:49 PM

Landing gear

It looks like the main gear will flloat in and out of that tube with the primary weight being supported by the undercarriage parts?

If so it seems like there will be a little shock absorbing going on using the vertical gear?

That would be nice or it could ride all the way in and just be removable..either way it seems like a good idea to make the wing removable..and easier to repair if needed..

The profile and key looks all seem to be here..that front end really captures the look of the trimotor...I love this one!

When I was googling the trimotor I noticed a bomber version that ford tried to get produced for the military..I had never seen that before. I guess there was only one made and it was eclipsed by the other offerings of the time.

This is really fun to follow pat! It really captures the old imagination for me!
to remove ads between posts
Jan 11, 2011, 11:28 PM

Covering

Hi Pat,

One area that I always struggle with is covering small compound curve structures. The rear nacelles on your Trimotor are a good example. If you could spend some time detailing your approach to covering surfaces like these, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff
Jan 16, 2011, 04:12 PM
Hey Pat

That progress is looking great..this is such a neat project!

I'm just thinking how cool it's going to look with the big ford graphics

I plan on using once it's out..

Those 3 motors are really going to give it some serious power..

Tim
Jan 16, 2011, 05:21 PM
Suspended Account
How will the three motors be connected?
Jan 16, 2011, 05:58 PM
Gravity sucks.
I had an idea today on the corrogated covering thing...
You could make a simple square frame, and glue a comb to two opposite ends. String fine elastic thread between the teeth.
Use this as a "mask" and airbrush the lines on!
If I get time, I'll do a diagram.
Mark
Last edited by mrittinger; Jan 16, 2011 at 10:38 PM.
Jan 16, 2011, 06:12 PM
Gravity sucks.
Here's pic.
Jan 17, 2011, 03:17 AM

I rode on one a long time ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag1
Having lived in Oshkosh, and now near by, we get to see the EAA one fly over when they do tours. pretty neat.
I got a flight on one at Oshkosh back in the early 70's. Neat old bird, I like the antique and classics. Nice looking model your building Pat!
Jan 17, 2011, 08:07 AM

Trimotor pics

Here are some pics for you all.
Jan 17, 2011, 09:48 AM
Thread OP
Mark, Great idea for adding the corrogation. At 1:20 scale it's going to be too small to try and "reproduce" with any level of accuracy, but at that size, a "representation" woulld definitely be the way to go.

PAT
Jan 17, 2011, 09:51 AM
Thread OP

Framing the Wings

Got started framing the wing panels last week. As always with a p-type build there was a good bit of tweeking needed doing, so the first panel to go together went together pretty slowly. But, all the corrections were made on the drawings so the parts are ready for production now.
Jan 17, 2011, 09:52 AM
Gravity sucks.
Yeah, I was thinking if you use elstic, then you can lay it over the wing, curves, etc, and quick shot of dark gray ...viola! Might take some tweaking, but seems like the fastest way to go....
Beauty supply houses have all sorts of combs to get the spacing right....JoAnn Fabric for some thread, seems pretty quick to me.
Jan 17, 2011, 09:55 AM
Thread OP

Building the Other Wing

Since all the changes and corrections had already been made, the second wing went together very quickly. I did run into a problem finding the right size carbon tubes though, so ended up making the front joiner tubes in the wings from brass and aluminum. I didn't have any 1/4" brass, so went with a 7/32 tube with a 1/4 aluminum sleeve over it where it slips into the center section. I was able to find 3/16 carbon, so no problem with the back joiner. Will post up pics afterwhile along with the ailerons once I get them together.
Jan 17, 2011, 09:58 AM
Thread OP

Dry Fitting the Wings

With all the framing and shaping done, the wings were dry fitted to the center cection. So far, so good. So now, it's on to the ailerons and tail section.....

PAT
Jan 17, 2011, 12:19 PM
Veni Vidi Volavi
Pat

Looking very nice. Was kinda wondering where you had gone off to, was about to get an APB out for you. Planning on a silver/aluminum finish or some color?

Brian Allen

Veni Vidi Volavi

I came I saw I flew
Jan 17, 2011, 01:03 PM
One of the usual suspects
A friend of mine took a ride on a TriMotor. He videoed the takeoff:

For Inspiration...

Quick Reply