Jan 02, 2011, 12:16 PM
Bob Kreplin built a beautiful Ford Trimotor and covered it with vacuformed corregated thin sheets of styrene..

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...=ford+trimotor
to remove ads between posts
Jan 06, 2011, 10:20 PM
Yelling makes talking fun
Another aerobatic video, showing multiple loops and a low loop. In color to boot.

http://www.aircraftowner.com/videos/...n-_65.html?m=1
Jan 07, 2011, 11:20 AM
Thread OP

Getting Started on the Fuselage

The fuselage side frames are a little out of the ordinary in that balsa window frames are built into the frame rather then using the typical paper overlays that I usualy use. To get the whole thing to come out 1/8" thick, the vertical components under the 1/16 sheeting are made from 1/16 X 1/8 balsa layed in flat, then the window frame is added and the lower bracing then added ising 1/16X 1/8 balsa on edge. Then in the high stress area around the landijng gear mounts 1/8 Sq. balsa is used.
Jan 07, 2011, 11:23 AM
Thread OP

Then Moving Aft....

The aft section also uses 1/16 X 1/8 balsa on ege in the more typical fashion. Once the bracing was in, the frames were lifted from the board and the landing gear reinforcements were added on the inside. And since the frames are dedicated L. H. and R. H. sides, they were built over their own individual "Build-On" drawings.
Jan 07, 2011, 11:29 AM
Thread OP

Joining the Frames

The frames are joined begining with the landing gear beams. Those are made up from 1/8 X 1/4 balsa with a groove for the LG wire gouged into the beam. With the sides joined over the plan, the top formers are added at the front and rear of the wing saddle.

The top cockpit frame assembly is then built up and glued in place, followed by the top and bottom nose formers and firewall.

Next up is to finish the nose section, then move to the back and add the rear formers, cross pieces and stringers.
Jan 07, 2011, 02:55 PM
IAMCANADIAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Markgraf
Charlie

....The eye wants to see corrogations there and the lines served the purpose.

Pat is right that the actual corrogation effect was small when reduced to the size of a park flyer....
Gerry
Following with interest. I've been thinking about doing a 1/12th version for some time now and a solution to the corrugation, among other things, has held me away. From comparing pictures and 3-views I've determined that the full scale corrugations are just over an inch apart. I'm figuring 10 per inch at 1/12th so at Pat's scale the corrugations will be barely noticable except under close inspection.

Pat, along with the strut/gear solutions I'm really interested in how you'll replicate 27 cylinders and 54 rocker arm covers on those three J5Cs. Are you doing the 4AT or the 5AT?
ahh. I see, vertical windscreens... 5AT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Daily
Bob Kreplin built a beautiful Ford Trimotor and covered it with vacuformed corregated thin sheets of styrene..

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...=ford+trimotor
WOW! thank you. I'd missed that thread some how. There's another example where the builder actually created stamps and covered it with thin sheet aluminum!
Last edited by Grejen; Jan 07, 2011 at 03:11 PM.
Jan 07, 2011, 06:35 PM
Woof. Arf. Angle of Attack.
I always enjoy flying on EAA's Trimotor every chance I get - and have the Dumas Trimotor in my larder for a future someday. Subscribed!
Jan 07, 2011, 06:47 PM
free flight or micro RC ???
a very interesting project you have here...
Jan 09, 2011, 02:20 AM

This is so cool Pat

I'm late to see this but not too late.

Pat this is the coolest one ive ever seen in the line up..the old tin goose !

Is such an iconic plane that I have to have one of these when they get to the short kit stage. wow!

I'm watching with great interest and applaud your courage to take on a subject which has been given way too little attention.

If you can get it to the kit stage then I can figure out the small stuff-- things like corrugation simulation don't mean anything to me right now because the step of getting this airframe in hand is such a huge deal! We can fiddle with details later..and boy will we fiddle with details--this is a nostalgic builders dream..

Can you imagine how great it's going to sound with the motor noise drumming through that big airframe? Not to even mention the possibilities for airline markings and skis--
Last edited by ZRS4; Jan 09, 2011 at 02:54 AM.
Jan 09, 2011, 02:26 AM

Continued

- TWA- floats--TAT markings--etc etc etc

I cant think of a better suited plane for this type of construction--

All I've ever had in the trimotor for electric was foam-- and it was a cartoon next to this!

I hope guys realize what a step this model is..what an opportunity! That big fat wing is going to make it fly

like a dream for nice slow 3 point landings ....and like i said--the sound!

Everything else is going to get cleaned off the building table when this one arrives..

Thanks Again!

Tim Morris

heres a good picture of it from wiki..
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...T_Trimotor.JPG
Last edited by ZRS4; Jan 09, 2011 at 03:20 AM.
Jan 10, 2011, 11:13 AM
Thread OP

Finishing the Fuselage Beginning at the Front

The first step was to fit the wing into the saddle to chech the fit -- so far so good. Then knowing the formers were spaced properly, the remaining formers and cross pieces were added. With that done, the front stringers were added....
Jan 10, 2011, 11:15 AM
Thread OP

Finishing Up the Back End

While the glue was drying on the foam cockpit block the remaining stringers were added. Then the block was carved and sanded to shape and painted silver so it wouldn't look weird under the cover.....
Jan 10, 2011, 11:19 AM
Thread OP

Fitting the Landing Gear

With all the basic construction done, the wing section went back in and the landing gear fitted and soldered together. The lower main struts are slipped over the vertical main gear strut and will remain removable just in case I decide to make the wing center section removable rather then mounting it permanently. I'll figure that out later.

PAT
Jan 10, 2011, 03:32 PM
The Tri-Motor is looking really nice. That is one THICK airfoil.

HT
Jan 10, 2011, 03:56 PM
Bona Fide Cub Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkerTyphoon
The Tri-Motor is looking really nice. That is one THICK airfoil.

HT
You should see the real Ford Trimotor. I don't recall exactly how thick it really is, but the one on display in McMinnville, Oregon under the Spruce Goose has a pull-down ladder/staircase to place luggage or cargo in the wing. When you see it, you're inclined to say what you said.

Quick Reply