Dec 30, 2010, 09:42 PM
Pat,

Nice looking bird. The question is though, how do you plan to effect the corrugated finish?
to remove ads between posts
Dec 30, 2010, 10:36 PM
Mayday!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnifax
Pat,

Nice looking bird. The question is though, how do you plan to effect the corrugated finish?
That is the $64,000 question, isn't it?

(Hey Dan! How were your holidays?)

Tim (wishing Pat's model was 1/16th scale = 58" ws)
Dec 31, 2010, 10:18 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnifax
Pat,

I'm thinking that the corrogated finish is the main reason the Trimotor has always been so neglected in the modeling world. So the short answer is, I'm not going to sweat the corrogation. At 1:20 scale it would be so small that about the only real gain from adding the actual corrogation would be weight.

But all is not lost, for those who would like to simulate the lines, there's always printed tissue, or maybe even drawing the lines on using a flexible straight edge and a fine tipped marking pen. Otherwise, just adding the major panel lines should be sufficient to make a decent looking Park Flyer. And knowing the bunch like I do, before it's all over, someone out there will do one up with all the details including the external control horns and cabling, corogation and all that will look real nice.

PAT
Dec 31, 2010, 11:38 AM
Wonder if Callie could make up optional decal corrugation decal sheets on clear matte to be applied over lightweight silver iron-on covering?
Dec 31, 2010, 03:04 PM
E-Challenged

I tried something like that when I asked Callie to do me some German WW I lozenge camoflage sheets. The idea was the printed vinyl strips would be applied oved a base covering. I tried it and it was a possibility, except the weight increase was large. I would only do that when I was covering a limited area like the bottom of one wing. Covering a whole airplane and then adding an overall covering of corrogations would really add the weight - plus it would be hard to get a really neat job.

I would tend toward applying black lines to lightweight silver iron -on using a straight edge and permanent marking pens and then carefully ironing it in place. You could do it after you applied the covering, but it would be really hard to keep the lines straight. I did something similar with my big Tritle Cessna 120. I wanted to duplicate the traditional Cessna corrogated control surfaces, so I used a ruler and marking pen after the surfaces were covered with silver micro iron-on. I was happy with the results. The Tri-Motor would be similar, just a much bigger job.

Gerry
Dec 31, 2010, 03:11 PM
Neophyte hacker
Maybe use a dark gray marking pen for the lines. After all, you really want just some shadows.
Dec 31, 2010, 05:08 PM
Charlie

You are probably right - providing you could find a fine tip permanent marking pen in the right color. Its funny, the corrogations I drew on the Cessna 120 were black on silver. I'm sure they would look poor compared to a photograph of the real thing, but they were effective on the model. The eye wants to see corrogations there and the lines served the purpose.

Pat is right that the actual corrogation effect was small when reduced to the size of a park flyer. Still, I suspect when I get this model (and I plan to), I won't be able to resist the temptation to try to add some sort of corrogation effect to it.

Gerry
Dec 31, 2010, 06:34 PM
Neophyte hacker
Gerry,

Go to Hobby Lobby or Michael's artist supply area. The Prismatic markers come in a huge variety of colors. The ones I have bought have a fine tip on one side and wider tip on the other.

charlie
Dec 31, 2010, 07:21 PM
Some interesting ideas for suggesting corrugation. I'm thinking maybe aluminum tape strips over darker silver covering might look okay, perhaps with thin gray marker lines looking like shadows. We need to 'spearmint' . I've never been happy with india ink panel lines.
Jan 01, 2011, 11:58 AM
Is it Friday yet?
Aerobatic Ford Tri-Motor!
http://www.aircraftowner.com/videos/...deo-1_552.html
Jan 01, 2011, 12:44 PM
Neophyte hacker
Pretty cool. I notice he didn't get enough speed to do two loops in a row. And the snap roll was a good demo of strength.

Reminds me of some of Hoover's work in an Aero Commander.

charlie
Jan 01, 2011, 03:12 PM
fly hard live easy
wow that video was great
Jan 01, 2011, 05:52 PM
These were done at the old Cleveland Air Races. The story goes that he was around 10 feet off the ground at the bottom of that loop (by design).
Jan 01, 2011, 11:55 PM

nice

look forward to this build.
Jan 02, 2011, 09:50 AM
Having lived in Oshkosh, and now near by, we get to see the EAA one fly over when they do tours. pretty neat.

Quick Reply