Feb 10, 2011, 07:50 AM
Cut it twice, still too short
Looking forward to the maiden as well, should be an interesting one. On the subject of Pat's next model, I've always wished he would do a Beech Staggerwing, possibly the most beautiful civil aircraft ever built. A PCM classic bi-plane with retracts, how cool would that be?

Doug
to remove ads between posts
Feb 10, 2011, 01:57 PM
Neophyte hacker
Don't hold your breath

There was a staggerwing designed by nfhill in here. You might ask him about it. A guy here in town built one and likes it. Flying one is not relaxing

charlie
Feb 10, 2011, 02:10 PM
I found this free e-book on the Trimotor; it is still downloading - so I did not have a chance to see it yet:

http://ebook30.com/history/history/2...n-history.html

I would prefer a Lysander to a Staggerwing

Bulent
Feb 12, 2011, 02:09 PM
road wart
I just got a great deal on 2 of the three eflite 250's i'm gonna need! One to go...box my kit Pat
Feb 14, 2011, 11:48 AM
Thread OP

The Trimotor Has Flown!!!

It was blowing at the house on Saturday morning, but figured I'd go out and try to maiden the Trimotor again anyway. Thursday and Friday were a total bust, but I figured it might calm down for a few minutes and at least be able to sneak in a quick test flight during the lull.

As it turns out, it was dead calm and the air at the park was velvet smooth, so it looked likem a go. Did one last "walk around", all was well, so it was up with the power and away we go.

In a word, the Trimotor is a pure pussycat! Lift-off (from low frozen grass) came at about 2/3 power. It took a fair amount of down trim to tame the beast, but once in the groove turned into a very docile model. Cruise power is just over half, and as expected, the model had a very "heavy" feel on the controls, and lines up perfectly with everything I had seen or read regarding flying the the full scale airplane.

The ailerons are really sluggish -- no big surprise there, and there's lots of adverse yaw - also no big surprise, but when rudder input is used in conjuction with the ailerons it turns beautifully. Once the turn is established, the model will try to roll into the turn when banked more then about 20 degrees, but by using a bit of oposite aileron to hold back the roll it does great. It will enter the turn just fine on rudder alone, but because of the lack of dihedral won't recover from the bank on rudder alone, but as it turns out, the adverse yaw works in your favor coming out of the turn using the ailerons alone.

There is no odd pitching at all when adding or reducing power, and even without downthrust is very neutral in power application. But, as with any twin or multi engine model, you MUST carry power to overcome the drag on approach. There is so much drag from the prop arcs if the power is pulled back too much, the sink rate becomes extreme -- just like the DC-6 and the B-17.

In all, the Trimotor is a very stable platform and is not at all difficult to fly. In normal flying, the power consuption is around 60 miliamps / minute, so it looks like flight times will be an easy 10 - 12 minutes using the 1300 mah battery.

The grass was to rough to try a touch and go, but the first time I get out on a smooth runway I'll give it a try. Otherwise, with good power management the model lands nicely in both 3 point and wheel landing, and ground handling on take-off is no problem at all. And the best part is that the Trimotor looks great in the air with those 3 scale prop arcs gleaming in the sun.

Now it's time to get "the paperwork" done so we can get the kits out there. After flying the model I see no need to make any design changes, so from here it's down to getting the plans done. So stay tuned, it won't be long now.

PAT
Feb 14, 2011, 11:58 AM
Suspended Account
Congratulations, Pat: you've outdone even yourself!
Feb 14, 2011, 12:00 PM
Awesome! It looks very realistic in the air,

HT
Feb 14, 2011, 12:01 PM
Too cool Pat that is AWESOME!
Feb 14, 2011, 12:12 PM
Veni Vidi Volavi
Well this is just great. Another Pat Tritle kit I will need. I am so far behind in my build list of Pats' kits that I don't think I will ever get caught up. I have the DC-6 and 310 awaiting some nice weather for first flights and at least 6 more kits still in the box.

Oh well resistence is futile. Time to start turning over the couch cushions looking for money to get the Trimotor!!

Keep em coming Pat, hope an L-5 is stirring somewhere!!

Brian Allen

Veni Vidi Volavi

I came I saw I flew
Last edited by Brian Allen; Mar 05, 2011 at 10:37 AM.
Feb 14, 2011, 02:21 PM
You've now flown 3 new airplanes, whilst I wait in cold snowy windy Chicago, to fly my Tri-Pacer...Not fair.

This Thursday, we might hit 60, so we'll see.. If Hobby King will ever deliver by new Lipo's. I'm not too thrilled with their service.
Feb 14, 2011, 02:44 PM
Neophyte hacker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Merrill
You've now flown 3 new airplanes, whilst I wait in cold snowy windy Chicago, to fly my Tri-Pacer...Not fair.

This Thursday, we might hit 60, so we'll see.. If Hobby King will ever deliver by new Lipo's. I'm not too thrilled with their service.
Yep, and I barely got one plane built this winter.

And Hobby King is the reason I shop through RC Hot Deals and BP Hobbies (and other US based shops). There are people you can talk to and they make good on orders (and frequently get me stuff faster than it takes for me to get to the LHS).

charlie
Feb 14, 2011, 03:28 PM
road wart
Congrats Pat!...thats really quite an achievement in such short time.....get the kits ready!
Feb 14, 2011, 04:08 PM
Don't want to steal the thread, but I just wanted to say, I got my new Lipos from HK today Ordered on Jan 26th, delivery on Feb 14th. 19 days from China. The plane ride only takes 14 hours... I know, I've done it!!
Feb 14, 2011, 07:37 PM
OK, my "better half" has put the foot down. I can't buy any more planes or kits 'till I either sell some or, heaven help me, destroy some while flying them. My home is starting to look like Pat's work shop, airplanes all over. I have 2 rooms I can't turn the ceiling fans on as planes will start flying all over the place.

Pat, the Ford Tri-motor looks GREAT!!! How about a Stinson Tri-Motor next?? Keep up the great work.

The Yank

P.S. Steve, charge some batteries and GO FOR IT!!!! If you get to 60 degrees GO FOR IT!!! 60 degrees in Feb in Chicago, THAT"S RARE!!! Good luck.
Feb 14, 2011, 11:17 PM
Retired and Lovin' it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Merrill
Don't want to steal the thread, but I just wanted to say, I got my new Lipos from HK today Ordered on Jan 26th, delivery on Feb 14th. 19 days from China. The plane ride only takes 14 hours... I know, I've done it!!
My most recent order took about a week longer than it typically does; but, I have assumed that the observance of Chinese New Year had something to do with it. Seems like everything in China closes down for several days for the new year observance.

Tony

Quick Reply