Feb 07, 2011, 05:34 PM
Awesome. Another masterpiece. You are up to what, one beautiful model a month now?? You could build more if you focus
to remove ads between posts
Feb 07, 2011, 06:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Tritle
Bulent, The wing loading works out to 8.4 0z. / sq. ft. It won't be a floater, but with the big fat wing, it should do real well.

PAT
Quote:
Originally Posted by portablevcb
FYI, Pat's definition of 'floater' and mine are different
That's funny. I had to read Pat's post twice to make sure I read the right wing loading.

8 oz wing loading to me is unbelievably light. Especially for this model.

Can't wait to see some in-flight pics.

HT
Feb 07, 2011, 07:22 PM
One of the usual suspects
I recommend a keyfob cam looking out the windows for the maiden flight.
Followed by AV flights over the actual Grand Canyon, of course.
Feb 07, 2011, 07:37 PM
Neophyte hacker
Yep, Pat thinks it's about right when it is closer to 5oz/sqft
Feb 07, 2011, 10:05 PM
Wow Pat, she is gorgeous! Best of luck on her maiden.

D-Rock
Feb 08, 2011, 07:58 AM
Beautiful model Pat! Do you laser cut your own prototype models? Just curious.
Feb 08, 2011, 09:15 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Freddy
Beautiful model Pat! Do you laser cut your own prototype models? Just curious.
I don't have a laser, the parts come from Manzano Laser Works and are the test shots that are proofed and corrected during the build. Then the corrected files become the production parts.

PAT
Feb 08, 2011, 09:22 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by portablevcb
Yep, Pat thinks it's about right when it is closer to 5oz/sqft
Yeah, 5 oz. / ft. Now that's a number I like But, with this big fat airfoil the volumetric loading at 8 oz. / sq. ft. is probably close to the same, or lower, then the typical 12% thick airfoil with a 5 oz. loading. Can't wait to see how it works in real life.

PAT
Feb 08, 2011, 10:47 AM
Retired and Lovin' it!
It looks to me that with that big fat foil and power off on approach, you will have to dive at the ground to keep enough airspeed to fly. Looks like a really draggy airframe. I love the looks though. Best wishes and good luck.

Tony
Feb 08, 2011, 10:52 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpfing
It looks to me that with that big fat foil and power off on approach, you will have to dive at the ground to keep enough airspeed to fly. Looks like a really draggy airframe. I love the looks though. Best wishes and good luck.

Tony
Tony, I've found that with any multi-engine airplane that you need to carry power on approach -- or, shut the power off altogether. The drag from (2 or more) prop arcs turning a slower pitch speed then the model is flying is right up there with "slamming on the breaks" and the model will sink like a stone. However, even the B-17 with its 19% thick airfoil glides fairly well as long as, like you say, keep the nose down and the speed up.

PAT
Feb 08, 2011, 11:54 AM
Or current resident
What holds the outter wing panels onto the center section, friction? Is there some sort of retainer to keep them from sliding out?

Talk about slamming on the brakes, my P-61 with the 4 blade props seems to almost stop when the throttle is cut. The first 'landing' was an interesting learning experience.
Glenn
Feb 09, 2011, 05:12 AM
OK, talking about light wing loading..............I built Pat's Standard J-1 and the wing loading came in at 4oz's per square foot. Fly's GREAT!!!!!

The Yank
Feb 09, 2011, 05:43 PM
It flew once before...
Great job Pat !! Best wishes on the maiden ...

-John
Feb 09, 2011, 07:23 PM
What????
Maybe Pat could do an Antonov AN-2 next?
Feb 09, 2011, 08:30 PM
Warbird crazy!
Wow Pat!
Just amazing. Best on the maiden.

John

Quick Reply