This thread is privately moderated by SNice, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Dec 28, 2010, 09:15 PM
Thread OP
Gallery

Prime Jet 8 -- 32" WS 70mm EDF w/ Thrust Vectoring

This turned out to be a very interesting project! I finally got to use my thrust vectoring nozzle. I've flown the plane several times since the maiden and am starting to get used to it. I'm still a little unsure about the thrust vectoring nozzle -- perhaps it does not rotate enough (I only have regular servos - not 180deg). The yaw seems extremely sensitive while the pitch T/V is not as responsive. I think I need to dial down the rudder throws as they put the plane into a nasty roll when fully deflected. The thrust vectoring does help to maintain control at slow speeds and allows her to hover (I need much more practice). She will knife edge without the T/V!!! Overall a great plane! and I'm havin' a blast learnin' her! Still needs a paint job!!!

Stats:
WS: 32"
AUW: 27.7oz (786g)
ESC:40A(this video) -- will change to 60A
lipo: 2200mah 3S 30C
motor: 3900KV 70mm EDF

More details and build pics can be found here:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=462
and here:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=621

Maiden Video:
FunJet - Scratchbuilt 70mm EDF w/ 360deg Thrust Vectoring (5 min 53 sec)
Last edited by SNice; Feb 15, 2011 at 10:39 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 29, 2010, 08:16 AM
Live to fly... Fly to live
Nice Job! I always have liked the Fun Jet design... I built one and right now it's waiting for 5 cell batteries and a 120 amp ESC. I have flown it with a GH Super Megajet and it did around 90 mph. With the new power system I installed, it should put me close to the 150mph mark. I may have to modify mine for rudders as it only has the Elevons for control right now. I could not afford to buy a manufactured Fun Jet, so building one was the only option for me. A lot more fun if you ask me.... Mudman1959
Dec 29, 2010, 09:03 AM
Thread OP
Thanks! I'm in the same boat! Why buy when you can create! The multiplex kits are out of my budget!!! I haven't been bitten by the speed bug yet - but I feel it's coming!!! Man - 150mph on a 5-cell -- what type of glue are you using????!! Would really like to see that one!
Jan 02, 2011, 09:09 PM
Live to fly... Fly to live
Here is a photo of my attempt at a Fun Jet... A little boxier than yours. As for the glue... Just hot glue and so far it's done real good for me... Mudman1959
Jan 02, 2011, 09:25 PM
Thread OP
Nice! that definitely looks like a hot motor! Also got my eye on that giant 'stang of yours! It's looking great so far!
Feb 06, 2011, 01:40 PM
Got a couple of suggestion for you.
Your thrust vectoring nozzle in up-down motion is not enough. You should have 15-30 degrees in that axis. If you want to flip it by an outside loop, increase your down more than up.
Second, play with your CG when you have the thrust vectoring on. The more aft will allow you to do higher alpha's. Also the cobra maneuver will be sharper. Use only 3/4 throttle when you play with the CG in the air.
Could you shoot some pics of your EDF/motor/thrustvectoring and post them?
Third, Have you let your son try to fly. My kid was six when he solo RC. It is an excellant way to bond.
I have over 5 hours now of flying time with canards, thrust vectoring with thrusters. I fly with all three on launch or landing. I encourage you to go for it.
First land with canards, then take off and land with canards, take off with canards and TV, and land with both on. Yes, I crashed, rebuilt, and before you know it, you will be able to fly it in a dome, like I do. Beside, you have an elite setup like very few pilots do.
Feb 15, 2011, 10:31 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by aero1960
Got a couple of suggestion for you.
Your thrust vectoring nozzle in up-down motion is not enough. You should have 15-30 degrees in that axis. If you want to flip it by an outside loop, increase your down more than up.
Second, play with your CG when you have the thrust vectoring on. The more aft will allow you to do higher alpha's. Also the cobra maneuver will be sharper. Use only 3/4 throttle when you play with the CG in the air.
Could you shoot some pics of your EDF/motor/thrustvectoring and post them?
Third, Have you let your son try to fly. My kid was six when he solo RC. It is an excellant way to bond.
I have over 5 hours now of flying time with canards, thrust vectoring with thrusters. I fly with all three on launch or landing. I encourage you to go for it.
First land with canards, then take off and land with canards, take off with canards and TV, and land with both on. Yes, I crashed, rebuilt, and before you know it, you will be able to fly it in a dome, like I do. Beside, you have an elite setup like very few pilots do.
Cool! thanks for the suggestions! Yes, I thinkI definitely need more throws on the TV unit. I bought it from Hobby lobby -- it it's from their F-35 kit. It is to be used with 180deg servos, but I only have normal, 60deg. So I am definitely missing out on a lot of throw. Next time I will just build my own TV unit! There are more detailed pics of the build and the TV unit here:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=462
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=621

This summer I intend to have my son up in the air. I have a modified chuck glider that I have converted to EDF for him all set to go. He has flown a few of my other models but only by pulling his thumbs on top of mine.
Can't wait to get him in the air -- I need a dogfight partner!
Last edited by SNice; Feb 15, 2011 at 10:39 AM.
Mar 04, 2011, 07:06 PM
Have made the next step up with my F-22. Instead of 70mm, substituted a 80 mm to replace my original 64. Got it mounted and looked good at half throttle. Finally open it up and it about ripped itself off the bluefoam mount. The power and noise level reminds me of my wife's vacuum cleaner. Now in process on reinforcing it and can't wait till snows gone to fly it. Hope to put 64 mm thrust vectoring (don't know if it will choke it) and see the effects. I want to try my thrusters to see if there is enough pressure to prevent torque rotation.
Meantime I have built an autogyro all out of foam with flapping blades and working on my "VTOL" transport. Have not flown it due to snow.
Have you tried your son on a flight simulator yet?

Quick Reply