Dec 27, 2010, 08:48 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Many thanks to Peter Rake - Bristol Scout

Well it only took me 7 months (actually I had set the project aside for 6 of them), but here is the final result of my version of Peter Rake's Bristol Scout.

I originally intended to post this in his "Prototype builds anyone?" thread, but it was too old to post to according to RC Groups policies.

I'm using a green dot vapor brick and a 1 cell brushless speed controller to drive an AP03 off of a 100 mah lipo.

I took a few liberties with Peter's original plans, but mostly stuck to them.

All up weight is currently 23.4g (still need to finish off the landing gear legs, add some roundels, and maybe a machine gun).

Maiden went well, but I need to cut down the elevator throw and fine tune it some more, but it promises to be a great flyer.

Thanks again Peter.

Tim
to remove ads between posts
Dec 27, 2010, 08:53 AM
That looks nice Tim. I look forward to a flight report. This may become available as a kit in the near future
Dec 27, 2010, 09:32 AM
A.K.A sir Crashalot
Absolutely gorgeous Tim. I just wish i had my laser up and running (controlcard in the mail from US. may take a while)
I second epilot on waiting for a flight report. Preferable with video

/Ulf
Dec 27, 2010, 10:59 AM
Gravity is a harsh mistress.
Great looking model!
Dec 27, 2010, 11:15 AM
SlingWinger
Most excellent example of the modelling art. Will you share your experience of converting to brushless? I'm interested in going this route.
Dec 27, 2010, 11:21 AM
Storm Runner guy
A golden example of modelling
Dec 27, 2010, 11:21 AM
Kit? Colour me interested.. But I'm not sure about the BL approach. Any reason this couldn't be flown with a PZ gearbox?

Jay
Dec 27, 2010, 11:29 AM
Very nice...

Pete
Dec 27, 2010, 12:02 PM
Tim Cullip,

Very nicely done. I'm not familiar with this design. Can you give us some numbers, like span, length, wing area, etc.?

Jim R.
Dec 27, 2010, 01:11 PM
Woof. Arf. Angle of Attack.
Quite lovely!
Dec 27, 2010, 03:19 PM
Thread OP
Thanks everyone for the compliments.

The original threads for this plane (and other Peter Rake designs) are:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1125091

and

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ght=peter+rake

The plane has a 13" wing span.

Brushless isn't necessary, in fact Peter designed it to use the standard geared power plant out of the Parkzone Cessna (I believe). If I had used that it probably would have come in at 22gms and would most likely fly just fine. I just happen to prefer the 3gm AP03 outrunner motor. With this it has more power than needed, but I can fly it around sedately at about 1/2 power.

If you guys don't mind, I thought I would continue this thread as a build thread for a similar plane, one of my favorites: SE5a. Turns out the wing panels for it are almost exact copies of the Bristol Scout's. Hopefully I won't lay this one aside for 6 months.

Tim
Dec 27, 2010, 03:27 PM
Thread OP
I'm planning on taking the Scout to an indoor event this Thursday (assuming I don't destroy it before then ). Maybe I'll get someone to take some in flight shots (maybe even a video?).

The brushless conversion for a green dot Rx/servo brick has been covered in other threads. I wired up the 0.7gm HobbyKing 1S brushless controller to the 5th channel of the brick and programmed some rather odd mixes on my new DX6i so that the throttle channel ended up controlling the 5th channel. If I had used a Spektrum AR6400 I could have avoided the hassles of soldering to the 5th channel pads and also the odd mixing to get it to work.

Tim
Dec 27, 2010, 04:08 PM
TheyreComingToTakeMeAway!
very cool model Tim!

i too have used a green dot for brushless, however i do not have a DX-6 so i used a TheSteve converter to make it output the signal. it only adds about 0.4 grams but makes it simpler in the end
Dec 27, 2010, 04:59 PM
billyjim
TIM:

From one WW1 "pilot" to another: beautiful job! ... should be a good flyer .... mine was.

Bill
Dec 27, 2010, 04:59 PM
Power Wheels Guru
That looks great! Is the Fuselage wide enough to mount the brick Horizontal?

The SE5a is a little tricky in this size, because the fuse is narrow.

On my card model version, I had to mount it on it's side to fit.

Quick Reply