Jan 14, 2011, 11:00 AM
Division of Improvement
GaryThanls for your amazing videos - i just have to build me also such a small plane for inroom flying!
Here it is damn cold and rainy and it gets dark at 5 o clock in the evening, so no chance for flying

I have a few questions:
I hav`nt got a lighter rec then my 7g UH rec ...-do you think thats a problem for the plane.

my second question- are youre such a awesome flyer or is your model so stable- the sammelst place i flew was my garden ..

regards from (damn cold and rainy) austria
to remove ads between posts
Jan 14, 2011, 11:29 AM
Flying...Pushing Air Down
Thread OP
Marcus,

I flew the little piYak at 76 grams (tried a 2S 360mAh which is 10g heavier than the 240) and could definitely feel the extra weight. It was a bit sluggish. Your receiver is 5g heavier than mine. Every gram counts! Try it and see.

This plane responds instantly to any control input. I don't think I could do it with a more conventional model.

Happy flying!

Gary
Jan 14, 2011, 06:01 PM
flyin' fool
We had an indoor session yesterday at a huge facility. I took a car load of foamies and carted them all in, along with my support equiptment. I flew my NutBall first, then my PiR1 and that's what I ended up flying the rest of the afternoon. This thing is a real performer, you can do all kinds of silly stuff with it, the list too long to mention here. Next time, what I can't carry in two arm loads stays behinds, the Pi being the first thing I grab. I love it, makes me look like a pro, it flies that easy.

Markus: Do some math before you start slicing foam. Build it big enough to get a low wing loading and prop for maximum thrust. Or, do EXACTLY as Gary did for instant success. If your RX is a few grams heavy, try to chop some weight somewhere else.
Jan 14, 2011, 06:07 PM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Re: PiR1 ... bet it looks SUPER in the air eh ???
Latest blog entry: Lost plans
Jan 15, 2011, 04:42 PM
Rookie Hopeful

My first PiYak

I would like to build a PiYak to fly in a gym or even in my house. Haven't decided what the best size to make it and I would like any input based on what material I have. Maybe between 13" and 20" dia.??
BW 24 gram 2712-12 motor
10 amp ESC
2 each 5 gram HXT500 servos
6mm. Depron
Spektrum AR6100 with DX7 TX

2cell Lipos:500 mah and 750 mah

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I would build it as light as I can with no landing gear. Would I need smaller 2cell lipo batteries? And What prop sizes?

I built a 22" nutball which really handles the outside well even in windy conditions. looking forward to getting started on this one.

Regards
Paul
Jan 15, 2011, 09:05 PM
flyin' fool
Go with a 20 or 22 incher, those lipos and the largest prop that motor can handle on 2S. Check the specs and comments for that motor on the HK site.
Jan 15, 2011, 09:12 PM
flyin' fool
Here's the goods on the 16"................sent this to a FB that's building a Pi AT6. Toon it look like your favorite 1:1 scale keeping lots of side area.
Jan 15, 2011, 09:47 PM
Rookie Hopeful

Thrust angles

I am going to go for the 20" size. As with the nutball, do you still put in 5 degree down and 2-3 degree right thrust for the motor ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldguy
Go with a 20 or 22 incher, those lipos and the largest prop that motor can handle on 2S. Check the specs and comments for that motor on the HK site.
Jan 15, 2011, 10:50 PM
flyin' fool
No down thrust, a few degree to the right is OK. I added it for a smooth transition from low to high throttle in dealing with the prop torque.
Jan 16, 2011, 06:48 AM
Rookie Hopeful

Elevons

Another Newbie question about the Piyak, Do I set-up the elevators as elevators or as elevons ? My Nutball is set-up as with elevators but other split elevators on some of my models are elevons.

Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldguy
No down thrust, a few degree to the right is OK. I added it for a smooth transition from low to high throttle in dealing with the prop torque.
Jan 16, 2011, 09:53 AM
Frank, is that paint or sharpie marker on that PiR1? Oh, and I see you changed motors too...
Jan 16, 2011, 12:39 PM
flyin' fool
air: Pop over to the NutBall thread and read post #6464 on page 431.

TW: It's a sharpie job and clear coated with Liquidtex, or use clear varnish as found with the acrylic pants in craft stores. I didn't change the motor, it's the GS 13g 2900kv, about the same power as the 2211 16g 1700kv from HK. It likes a 6X3 best and the HK motor likes a 7X4. Both have more than enough power, probably 2:1 in the thrust to weight department.
Jan 16, 2011, 01:45 PM
gpw
gpw
Gold, just FYI, Liquitex makes a great Red acrylic paint (in jars) that when sprayed on with an airbrush , is almost as light as a sharpie and clear job .... and Doesn't fade in the light ... All my red Sharpie jobs quickly went Pink
Jan 16, 2011, 02:27 PM
If you have to clear coat it, why not just lightly spray paint it... The difference in weight would be negligible
Jan 16, 2011, 05:05 PM
gpw
gpw
Square meat pie ... Indeed ...

Quick Reply