Nov 21, 2013, 02:50 AM
For flying out loud!
over the last night or two i have built another 3d wonnabe plane (re try at the old one) but with more area on the elevator, wing and v-stab surfaces and i have made it (as we were wondering and i was building it any way) so that everything is in line with the wing and so is the fuse area and rudder area. it would be intresting to see if it does well in KE if it flys well at all.

maiden should be over the next few days
to remove ads between posts
Nov 30, 2013, 04:30 AM
Still going strong, but the wheels were not much use, being too low set, there was no angle of attack on the wing so take offs were a big problem...
Having a very smooth indoor floor Ive gone now to skids made from cable ties..
I also cut the rear lower fuzz trimming about 1/2" so the rear sits lower...

flight report .... its all good.. 15" diameter....I am using an 1811 2900 with a 6x3 prop on 2s .. hover and slow harriers are so easy... rolls axial .. loops tight .. even knife edges can be held... its all good..
Take offs are now fine the cable ties slide easily.... highly recommended
The front bumper I added got broken in a collision so its now doubled up .. two lengths of 3x0.5mm CF flats glued together with UHU...
The bumper does save the prop but it also helps to save damaging other models in mid air impacts.. I like that it also makes for a good carrying handle and gives you a loop to use when hanging the model in storage
Last edited by davereap; Dec 13, 2013 at 04:11 AM.
Dec 15, 2014, 02:44 PM

Another PiPlane

Haven't got to fly it much yet but what little I have, it looks like it's going to be a fun little plane for indoor flying this winter.

Thanks to SR71fan for providing the dimensions and other info for this 13" version.
Jan 03, 2020, 04:53 PM
flyin' fool
Maiden tonight. It's a 16.5 incher at 105 grams RTF with a loading of 2.5 OPSF and 240 ounces of thrust.
Jan 03, 2020, 05:04 PM
flyin' fool
My Yak 55 is built with 6.5mm EPP / Foam-Tac glue and a clear coated Sharpie paint job. I kept the build as simple as possible to save weight.

It's powered by a Racestar BR1306/4000 kv motor spinning a 5X3 GWS prop on 2S 300 Tattu 45C lipos, a 6A ESC, 3X3.7 gram servos and a 4ch RX.
Jan 03, 2020, 05:06 PM
Hadn't seen the 'mini' thread and mine is only 30 CM (Ohhh Errrr) so probably belongs here

Maidened yesterday, zero wind but like COLD...

Should have put some down thrust in, pitchy 'cos she was flying flat but fine once I trimmed her out. ESC kept cutting out at low throttle so I tested the 'new' vector board foam, tough as old boot and the 'mini piYak' flew (on a whole) fine. Hopefully going to be in a small gym tomorrow so more testing.

Paul
Latest blog entry: Just To Say Hello.......
Jan 03, 2020, 05:15 PM
flyin' fool
nano, nano ……………...
Jan 06, 2020, 03:27 PM
flyin' fool
Tail heavy!!!! Changing gear to compensate.
Jan 11, 2020, 11:49 AM
flyin' fool
Switched to a 1407 motor, a 10A ESC and 5.6 g servos.

Problem solved!!
Jan 13, 2020, 08:47 AM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Why not just add that extra inch to the nose ? It’s so easy !!! Especially if it needs it ( like a disc)
Latest blog entry: Lost plans
Jan 13, 2020, 05:31 PM
flyin' fool
It need the extra power anyways.
Jan 19, 2020, 03:30 AM
flyin' fool
Problems!! The disc has a warp and will snap one way or the other, but not stay centered.

Just scrapped ten 3.7g 1370A servos from HK, most brand new. After extensive testing I found all but two of a dozen I bought will not go back to dead center and make flying an 'always out of trim situation'. So, back to the trusty and ACCURATE 5.6 gram digi MG servos that are the same size. Got lots of them and should have known better.
Yesterday, 02:33 PM
Finally got a chance to wring her out, flies a treat and can take a hit (guess how I know ).

56 Grams at 30 Cm diameter (12") with a 300 mAh 2S for 5 minutes fun. Smacked her off of the walls, floor and ceiling several times and the only problem was the motor bell slipping but he air-frame was fine. If anything the 5 Gram motor was too much so I dropped down to a 5 X 3 from 5 X 4.3, still nearly too much power flying indoors.

All the usual quirky 'round-wing-fun-fly-indoor-stuff' was great, no knife edge (fuselage area too small to wing) but with the C of G 8.5 cm back (28%) flew inverted with no down and hovered 'hands off', great fun.

Paul
Latest blog entry: Just To Say Hello.......

Quick Reply