Dec 26, 2010, 08:35 PM
treefinder
Thread OP
Question

ailerons on one wing of a bipe, top or bottom?

For all those who've played with biplanes, if you were to add ailerons to only one wing, which would be the best one? If one does top, will it make plane top heavy? If on the bottom will it have enough "authority"?
to remove ads between posts
Dec 27, 2010, 08:20 AM
I would think you would want to go with the wing that was closest to the central axis of the aircraft... probably the bottom wing...
Dec 27, 2010, 11:18 AM
AKA Don
I'd choose the one that made the installation of the linkage easiest...also probably the lower wing.
Nov 30, 2014, 01:25 AM
As a general rule, when a biplane stalls, the top wing will stall first. If the ailerons are on the bottom wing, you will maintain aileron control longer in the stall condition.
With the OSB planes, most.... even with the small outrunners are overpowered enough that you shouldn't have a problem which wing you go with.
One other option is put the ailerons on the bottom wing and run a slave rod to the top wing for ailerons. I have that set up on several planes. My, Pitts, Ultimate, Sopwith Camel and Sopwith Pup. If you want a picture of how it's set up, let me know and I'll post a couple for you.

Dave
Nov 30, 2014, 05:43 AM
Yeah, I did mine on the bottom wing only also. They are full span, so plenty of roll authority.
Nov 30, 2014, 08:45 AM
I think everyone else here made very good points. I would add the ones that are in the most in the prop arc. That is usually the bottom but it depends on your design. Having that blast of air over your control surfaces from the prop is a wonderful asset for low airspeed control! (you sure miss it when you play with edf! )
Nov 30, 2014, 10:02 AM
treefinder
Thread OP
Wow this is an old one! A month short of 4 years! The comments today provide a nice coda to the original question,eh?
Nov 30, 2014, 11:55 AM
Allways the hard way!
So what did you end up doing with the bipe ailerons? (For those of us also wondering??)

I hope you didn't wait 4 year to build it
Nov 30, 2014, 01:05 PM
treefinder
Thread OP
Nope, i put them on bottom wing and they work just fine! Here's the page in the OSB thread where I talk about it: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...s#post21717187
Last edited by springer; Nov 30, 2014 at 01:10 PM.

Quick Reply