May 28, 2012, 02:43 PM
planepainter
Thread OP

maiden photos...

some more...
to remove ads between posts
May 28, 2012, 03:52 PM
who has rabbit ears down
Way to Go PP! Glad ya got a flight in today!very pretty!
May 28, 2012, 04:27 PM
PP,

Very nice! Nice pictures.

You beat me to the Maiden

I like the colors. Very nice job. What's it's AUW?

How does it compare to it's stock 100" version? And how does it compare to your Oly III ?

Man,I'm full of questions today.

Hopefully I can get mine out tomorrow or Wednesday. We have a DLG contest at our field starting Friday,so the field will be closed Friday,Saturday and Sunday for the contest.

Eddie
May 28, 2012, 04:51 PM
Very nice planepainter.
May 30, 2012, 09:51 PM

The Madman!

You are killing me!

As soon as I think I've got some leading advantage to the "make it look different than what it looks like in the picture on the box" thing, I get the rug pulled out from under me once again!

Nice Job! that looks like one big happy floaty floater! Did you try just a little smidge of flaps in a thermal yet??? I bet with flaps on landing, and a very slight little breeze,you could bring that thing in soooo slow, you could probably plop it down right on top of your head perfectly balanced and barely feel it. Maybe.

Interesting about the rudder-turn-delay-time, I'm again violating normal rudder conventions by making my rudder really big on my 2M spirit like I did on my 2M Easy Eagle.

Nice - Paul
Last edited by Pauliwog; May 30, 2012 at 09:57 PM.
May 30, 2012, 10:32 PM
planepainter
Thread OP
Thanks Paul. The thing has an amazing glide that you just would not believe. I set it up for my down wind landing approach and it barely loses any altitude all the way across the field. Thank goodness for those flaps!!

The plane has three flap settings. Off (of course) mid and full. Drop in full position and the plane looks like it has hit a wall but it just hangs there and lands very slow under perfect control. My OLYIII lands much faster but it has spoilers and the wing tip is much thinner. It just has a faster wing. I will try to include a photo so you can get an idea of the tip sizes on the two aircraft. The blue tip is the OLYIII. Remember, the Bud Riser ( the name I chose to go with) is only half an inch wider in wing span than the OLY.
The plane turns to the left with almost no effort. But right turns are a bit slower. Today we flew the plane with the improvements I did last night and it really helped. But I think the plane suffers from a slight down warp in the outer half of the right inner panel. It was there when I originally built the plane almost four years ago- the first kit I had ever built. I will admit that I did not build it as flat as the rest of the planes I have built. Just a learning experience. I might be able to twist in a bit of washout in the right tip.
The OLYIII is just a faster plane. It is just different. Just a bit more agile. But It is nice to run the Riser up there and let it fly for an hour without hitting the throttle again. Makes for a very relaxing flight. It just does not want to come down. At that size it is very easy to see at altitude.

PP
Jun 02, 2012, 05:14 AM
Balsa Builder. With some foam.
Very nice, and totally different from the original Riser 100. In my language a Rise is a giant or a Troll.
Jun 02, 2012, 07:44 PM
Looks Great PP

Joe
Jun 02, 2012, 10:54 PM
planepainter
Thread OP
Hi Joe. Thanks. It flies even better than it looks!
Jun 03, 2012, 02:24 PM
Congrats PP Beauty full plane, well done.Any videos?I'd love to see them.
Jun 03, 2012, 05:36 PM
planepainter
Thread OP
Sorry Doc. No videos yet but that is a really good idea...
Let's see what I can do the next time I am out.

Yesterday was awesome. I had taken the plane home after a good day flying but still had some slow response to the right. So I strengthened the vertical fin so the rudder would have a stronger platform to turn on. I also twisted in a bit of washout on the right wing. That was a challenge as the wings have been "D" sheeted all the way to the tips top and bottom. But it seemed to have helped because the turn response is very near that of my OLYIII and I am happy with that.

I could not say right now how the Bud Riser thermals compared to my O3 as I haven't had them up under the same conditions but I would hazard a guess that the BR closely approaches if not equals the thermal ability of the O3. I will do an AUW the next time I have it assembled at the field and report.

I will say this, that this plane is awesome to look at on the ground. Not only are the colors very striking but the size just attracts attention. People stand around to watch it being assembled and love to see it fly.

PP
Oct 06, 2012, 12:54 PM

Ressurecting this to show someone else......

That's pretty much it, hope this helps.

-Paul
Mar 19, 2013, 06:33 AM
I fly wood.
I saw your rebuild and it inspired me to try my hand at it. I had a motor on hand and I wanted to build a plane around it. I got a Riser 100 wing kit and plans. I used it as a starting point to build a 34 inch center section. It has a spoiler. The center section leading edge is sheeted and the sheer webs are solid balsa between the spars. I enlarged the plans for the tail by 20%. The tail boom is the handle section of a telescoping fishing pole, the second section I used on a prevoius 2 meter build. Since this was to be an electric I didn't use carbon reinforcement and I figured I could get away with the fiberglass tail boom. The outer pannels are built pretty much as the plans call for but I used sheer webs on both sides of the spars. The fuse pod is laminated 1/32 ply and 1/8 balsa sides, the bottom is 1/16 and 1/32 ply lamination with 1/16 ply formers. The motor is a Rocket 3925-920 kv, with a 60 A esc, and a 220mah 3s. The AUW is 72 oz with a 134 in span.
The first test flghts showed I had a twist in the wing ( which I have since used the heat gun to fix) and I needed to lengthen the nose to make it easier to balance. The day I did the second set of flights was cloudy and a bit windy but I got a good sense of how it is going to work out. It climbs out nicely, but in time I'll try a slightly bigger prop. It's stable and turns well enough. It is best suited for calm days but I'm happy with the way it turned out.
Mar 19, 2013, 11:04 AM
who has rabbit ears down
Very handsome Bob!
Mar 22, 2013, 01:02 PM
Good, fast or cheap, pick two
Hey Bob, looks great!

I decided to stretch the nose on my Chrysalis by 1.75" so that I could use less weight to get it to balance and it sure made an amazing difference in the performance! Do you feel that your extending of the nose also helped?

Cheers,

Rob

Quick Reply