kyosho seawind - Page 5 - RC Groups
Apr 01, 2011, 10:32 AM

tape

I have my favorite auto body shop that has blue vinyl 3m automotive painters tape. Its very stretchy so it conforms to curves well, and then I use usc handy mask that is 7 in by 65 foot in a handy little despenser. the 3m tape comes in 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2 inch widths. The paint I used is testers model master gloss black, (for plastic models) you just have to make sure that you do several thin coats because if you get in a hurry it can run. It is also very temprerature/humidity sensitive. I have also found it a good idea to test the nozzle prior to painting as sometimes they leak and drip paint. I have had to sand several items over the years that got dripped on. It seems to hold up well if you do your sanding prep correctly. I didn't use primer on the boat but you can. If I want a really glossy finish I topcoat with their clear gloss coat. The picture below is topcoated with clear
Bob
Last edited by Robert Pulse; Apr 01, 2011 at 10:38 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 01, 2011, 02:36 PM
Boomer1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Pulse
I have my favorite auto body shop that has blue vinyl 3m automotive painters tape. Its very stretchy so it conforms to curves well, and then I use usc handy mask that is 7 in by 65 foot in a handy little despenser. the 3m tape comes in 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2 inch widths. The paint I used is testers model master gloss black, (for plastic models) you just have to make sure that you do several thin coats because if you get in a hurry it can run. It is also very temprerature/humidity sensitive. I have also found it a good idea to test the nozzle prior to painting as sometimes they leak and drip paint. I have had to sand several items over the years that got dripped on. It seems to hold up well if you do your sanding prep correctly. I didn't use primer on the boat but you can. If I want a really glossy finish I topcoat with their clear gloss coat. The picture below is topcoated with clear
Bob
Good info. One more question. What sand paper did you use?

I have a both a detail spray gun, and an air brush powered by a Testor's compressor. I have just started praticing with them to get some confidence developed before I tackle a real paint project.

If a spray can can produce that high a quality finish, I might have wasted my money on this equipment. Again Bob, your Seawind looks great on and off the water.

The graphic these boats come with are not bad looking, but a paint job like yours really sets the bar pretty high for the average RC sailboater.

I don't have the CF Seawind anymore, but I am thinking of getting another one, but the standard ABS version. I mentioned before that I really didn't find any advantage with the Carbon Fiber boat.

I enjoyed it yes, but could not justify the price. Thank goodness I'd didn't have to pay top dollar for it!

Anyway, I have a couple of projects under way, so when I get them done, I will be shopping for a new Seawind. There's a hobby shop here in the "OC" that sells the kit for $239.00 which is about the best I've seen lately.

I have the servos and electronics, so the $$ outlay is not going to be overwhelming. I've seen some very nicely painted Seawinds and would like to put my own touches on the new one, as you have done with yours.

Very nice work!!

Boomer
Apr 02, 2011, 02:12 AM
Thanks Boomer I love ataboys LOL I have done some custom airbrushing on lexan bodys for my in laws kids but love the simplicity of rattle cans The airbrush takes time to get really good at and I hate mixing paints. I used to take cars that I repaired to Earl Shibe You know we will paint any car for $49.00 LOL Wouldn't do that now, It is amazing what you can do with a rattle can!
Oh yes the sand paper, 800 grit then 1200 and wipe it down with denatured alcohol then a tack cloth.
Bob
Apr 04, 2011, 10:36 AM
Central Alabama RCShips, Sails
Bob,

She looks good on and off the water. Great job....!!

Jared
Apr 05, 2011, 04:38 PM
i too have a seawind , that i bought second hand a year ago with some big chunks missing in the keel fin , these have been repaired by laminating some 1/16 ply around the old keel . . i have two small problems , 1 its developed a leak when im sailing ( ive already made a new stronger perspex hatch with 5 wing nuts to secure it ) 2 when sailing in strong winds it likes to nosedive ? im not racing the model its purely for fun sailing in the sea of the coast of portsmouth uk !
Apr 05, 2011, 04:58 PM
Boomer1

Bow diving and water intrusion - no fun

Jon
Bow diving is unfortunatley a charactistic of this boat. Some of that tendency can be over come with mast positioning and sail adjustment.

Some have added a small amount of weight to the aft end of the boat attempting to keep the bow up. Some have even tried a deeper keel.

I would think slighty less sail area would help. Custom sails are very easy to get for this boat and are likely to improve every aspect of the boats performance.

There are only so many places water can get in on this boat. Have you checked the rudder shaft? That one is easy to check. Take the cover off the rudder well, stick the boat in a pool, holding it on the side of the pool and watch for leaks. Water proof grease works well as water barrier on that shaft and a properly sized o-ring can do wonders as well.

Have you checked the keel shaft? Same cure as the rudder if it does leak.
Careful inspection of hull in stress areas can reveal small cracks that leak only under stress.

I pool test all of my boats before I take them sailing -easy way to find a leak with out hurting any electronics.

You can push down on the hull to simulate stress on the boat, watching all of the through hull penetrations. Good luck!

Boomer
Apr 06, 2011, 02:39 AM
the keel fin has been sealed in place with silicone sealant inside the apature , and around its outer edges before it was bolted in place ! ive removed the rudder post and sealed it in the same way with silicone sealant , the ruder stock is well coated with silicone grease ! the o ring around the rear inspection hatch has been replaced and now gets liberally coated in silicone grease every time it gets removed . ive been through all of the obvious points it ought to be able to leak but havnt cured this . it has got to the point of both servos are sealed with silicone , and the rx and its battery are wrapped in balloons ! ! after a three to four hour constant sail i often have about half a mug of water inside my hull .
Apr 06, 2011, 12:06 PM
Boomer1

Here's a weird idea for you.

I haven't tried this, so it is just an idea. If you are desparate, and if you have access to a pool, heated preferrably, get in the water with your boat, and if you can hold it under water for a few minutes, if you see any air bubbles you'll know where the leaks are.

You might want to remove the electronics and sails just to be safe.
Just sayin...................if you are desparate.

That water is gettin in there some how.

Boomer
Apr 06, 2011, 03:14 PM
Works the other way around too, Boomer !

Remove electrics, fill boat with water and look for leaks. Rudder, Keel, Deck/Gunwale line, screws and deck fittings, hatch cover(s), etc.

Keep in mind, the holes for sheets thru deck are a source of water migration that is difficult to control - except by smaller holes in the fairlead. Also if you spray mainsheet with water repellant, it will help in keeping wter from being absorbed by the sheet lines - Spectra and Dyneema don't so not required there - but for sure on braided Dacron or similar.
Apr 06, 2011, 05:55 PM
Boomer1
Dick
I like your idea better. Not sure how easy it would be to hold the boat under water anyway.
Boomer
Apr 06, 2011, 06:04 PM
id thought of stripping out the electrics , and filling the hull with water , yet while the hull has some water inside it it never drips out when im walking home with my boat ! yes im lucky enough to have water that close i walk with my boat to sail it takes me less than three mins ! !
Apr 08, 2011, 02:58 PM
Rather be flying

Racing

Do any of you race your seawinds? Or are you planning on racing? If you are, you might want to check the class rules for modifications. It is my understanding that the Seawind class through the AMYA is very strict about any modifications, especially to the sails.

If you are wanting to race and want more latitude on modifications, the Victoria is a good AMYA class boat to experiment with. Both the Seawind and Victoria have pretty big fleets in the USA and lots of clubs that race often. If you haven't tried racing, it is lots of fun and exciting too. I highly recommend it.
Apr 08, 2011, 03:05 PM
having watched those at portishead ( north somerset uk ) several times on a sunday morning , ive decided this isnt for me , my sailing is purely for relaxation and fun ! im happy managing to make my model sail around the local fishing vessels in the harbour where i live . its just a little dissapointing when the model drinks more sea water than i do coffee ! !
Apr 08, 2011, 06:23 PM
Boomer1
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsudduth
Do any of you race your seawinds? Or are you planning on racing? If you are, you might want to check the class rules for modifications. It is my understanding that the Seawind class through the AMYA is very strict about any modifications, especially to the sails.

If you are wanting to race and want more latitude on modifications, the Victoria is a good AMYA class boat to experiment with. Both the Seawind and Victoria have pretty big fleets in the USA and lots of clubs that race often. If you haven't tried racing, it is lots of fun and exciting too. I highly recommend it.
I have done some racing, and recently got into Mirco Magic sailing. Racing is fun and I enjoy making new friends. I to do more pleasure sailing than racing.
I have some fast electric's "FEs" as we call them, and am just getting into RC flying. Niether of those two are what I'd call relaxing.

It is fun to fly for sure, but that lasts for what, 5 to 7 mins.? Same with the fast boats. Sailing on the other hand can be done for hours, and at the same time, enjoying the surrounding area, my sailing buddies, and perhaps enjoying a few adult beverages.

We race, but in a less formal setting, and it doesn't matter if the boasts are not the same. I like to make those changes in my boats that add to it's performance and appearence, so I too am not overly concerned about staying in line with the class rules. It all comes down to "what ever
floats your boat"

Boomer
Apr 10, 2011, 08:42 AM
thanks for the sugestions as to the possible source of my seawind taking on water while sailing , i think i may have accidentially found the source , i switch on my model before the two min walk from home to the waters edge , my rudder servo is operating as is the sail arm , but nothing from the rudder ! the post has seized in the tube ! stainless steel and aluminium do cross corrode .