kyosho seawind - Page 44 - RC Groups
Jul 13, 2017, 03:17 PM

Holes in SW fin!

Guys,
The holes in the SeaWind fin are a production requirement which allows them to locate the through support rod correctly in the mold. Although you can get replacements in spare part set, Plastic parts D, it is a bit much to buy a set just for the two D7 pieces. On the last new fin I mounted I simply filled the hole with epoxy filled with micro-balloons . I taped a piece of wax paper over the back side of the hole to get a tight flat backing which is non-stick with epoxy. I filled the hole with the resin mix making sure to get air bubbles out until the hole was just filled proud of the fin surface. I waited until the epoxy started to set up then scraped the excess resin off the surface using a piece of straight edged plastic like a credit card, wiped around the edge carefully and left it to set up. It has worked just fine for a few years now.
Mike
to remove ads between posts
Jul 17, 2017, 11:41 PM
SM1
SM1
Quote:
Originally Posted by swcs
Guys,
The holes in the SeaWind fin are a production requirement which allows them to locate the through support rod correctly in the mold. Although you can get replacements in spare part set, Plastic parts D, it is a bit much to buy a set just for the two D7 pieces. On the last new fin I mounted I simply filled the hole with epoxy filled with micro-balloons . I taped a piece of wax paper over the back side of the hole to get a tight flat backing which is non-stick with epoxy. I filled the hole with the resin mix making sure to get air bubbles out until the hole was just filled proud of the fin surface. I waited until the epoxy started to set up then scraped the excess resin off the surface using a piece of straight edged plastic like a credit card, wiped around the edge carefully and left it to set up. It has worked just fine for a few years now.
Mike
Makes sense might follow your idea to filling the hole mine just has tape over it no plastic parts like Boomer was looking for.

Simon
Aug 22, 2017, 09:12 AM
11 starts regatta, marathon, at the limit of strength!
White T-shirt, jeans, belly ...
  RUS 21
Гоночные радиоуправляемые яхты. ЧР и ПР г. Москва2017 (6 min 5 sec)
Sep 10, 2017, 02:14 PM
I have a new Seawind Readyset that I have sailed probably a dozen times since I got it. Otherwise, it is not stored under any unusual conditions. Apparently, the adhesive that attaches the reinforcements at the head, clew, and tack, and also the battens has totally failed. All but one of the battens have fallen off, and the corner reinforcements are flapping in the breeze. Any suggestions for an adhesive that will hold these parts on properly??
Sep 10, 2017, 02:36 PM
Scotch tape double-sided !!!!
Sep 10, 2017, 04:26 PM
Nirvana 38, Seawind 178
E6000 thin coat will hold
Sep 10, 2017, 04:47 PM
If it floats....sail it!
3M Super 77 Spray Adhesive ( from hardware, craft or your LHS), but don't spray it on directly. Spray it into a plastic cup and paint it on with a small brush.

Whatever you use, completely remove the old adhesive first or it will release again.
Sep 10, 2017, 07:15 PM
a.k.a. Bob Parks
I used Toluene to safely remove the adhesive from the sail materials. Use lots of ventilation. I replaced the battens with material from Mid-West Model Yachting. thin epoxy/fiberglass sheet (under the tab Sailmaking/Materials).

BP
Sep 10, 2017, 08:31 PM
scb28
This problem seems common. I also used scotch double sided tape for the corner reinforcements and battens. I used plastic notebook separators from any office supply store to make new battens.Repairs/replacements were done quite some time ago and are still holding up fine. Oh yeah, I used rubbing alcohol to remove old glue.

My 2cents, scb28
Sep 11, 2017, 01:40 AM
Po' boys does w/ Po'boys ways
[QUOTE=beneteau3;38259226]I have a new Seawind Readyset that I have sailed probably a dozen times since I got it. the battens has totally failed. All but one of the battens have fallen off, Any suggestions QUOTE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoamCrusher
3M Super 77 Spray Adhesive ( from hardware, craft or your LHS), but don't spray it on directly. Spray it into a plastic cup and paint it on with a small brush.

Whatever you use, completely remove the old adhesive first or it will release again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scb28
This problem seems common. Oh yeah, I used rubbing alcohol to remove old glue.

My 2cents, scb28
We at our club use a fiber reinforced double sided carpet tape , but other members use their own choice for the battens as the rule states,: "can be made of any material", the only thing in the rule that I see is "size" n "placement" restrictions,!! So, experiment n report back to us on this as we ALL like to learn,!!! Tim aka Cap'n Hax
Last edited by haxawsnavy; Sep 11, 2017 at 01:43 AM. Reason: re editted quotes
Sep 11, 2017, 02:57 PM
Thanks for all of your suggestions! I do find this latest adhesive problem a bit annoying, because "Seawind Readyset" seems to imply that the boat is ready for use. So far I have reinforced the hull near the keel housing, reinforced all of the stays & shroud chains because the screws were pulling out of the deck, changed the seals on the deck lid because of leakage, and now have to replace and reattach sail components. Maybe I am expecting too much? Maybe Kyosho should call it "Seawind Somewhat Close To Readyset".....

Oh, well - I do still like the looks of this particular sailboat. I kinda lean towards models that resemble "real" boats. This one seems to be a model of an Americas Cup contender a few years ago during the time of the monohull J boats. Exactly which one I am not sure - Maybe New Zealand or Japanese challengers.
Last edited by beneteau3; Sep 11, 2017 at 03:28 PM.
Sep 11, 2017, 03:15 PM
I immediately dismantled and strengthened everything that could come off, I have experience with this model, so I had no surprises in 11 rounds of the regatta ....
Sep 11, 2017, 09:03 PM
This problem with battens and sail corner reinforcements seems a bit extreme although occasional issues with thh odd one or two pieces have been experienced in the past. Hopefully Kyosho's manufacturer has not made a change in adhesive?
Having the battens fall off is more a blessing than a hindrance as the Kyosho batten material will curl due to sun exposure and we recommend replacing the supplied battens with good dimensionally stable material such as the fiberglass/epoxy sheet mentioned by Bob Parks in a recent post.
In my product review of the Readyset version I mentioned that the halyards of jib and main sails are tied incorrectly placing lateral strain on the reinforcement which causes problems if not corrected immediately. I attach below photos showing the jib halyard before and after correction to illustrate the solution.
Mike
Sep 15, 2017, 09:55 AM
This probably deserves it's own thread, but this weekend is the AMYA Seawind Region 4 Championship taking place in Wichita, KS. It's hosted by my home club, the Air Capital Model Sailing Club.

We have ten skippers registered, including, multi-time national champion and class secretaryMike Eades from Arizona participating. It should be great fun with plenty of breeze on tap!

I'll try to post a score update tomorrow or Sunday.
Sep 15, 2017, 04:37 PM
a.k.a. Bob Parks
This on too needs a thread:
Seawind Nationals in AZ

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&p...Y5YzExYjNkM2Zl