kyosho seawind - Page 44 - RC Groups
Jul 13, 2017, 03:17 PM

Holes in SW fin!

Guys,
The holes in the SeaWind fin are a production requirement which allows them to locate the through support rod correctly in the mold. Although you can get replacements in spare part set, Plastic parts D, it is a bit much to buy a set just for the two D7 pieces. On the last new fin I mounted I simply filled the hole with epoxy filled with micro-balloons . I taped a piece of wax paper over the back side of the hole to get a tight flat backing which is non-stick with epoxy. I filled the hole with the resin mix making sure to get air bubbles out until the hole was just filled proud of the fin surface. I waited until the epoxy started to set up then scraped the excess resin off the surface using a piece of straight edged plastic like a credit card, wiped around the edge carefully and left it to set up. It has worked just fine for a few years now.
Mike
to remove ads between posts
Jul 17, 2017, 11:41 PM
SM1
SM1
Quote:
Originally Posted by swcs
Guys,
The holes in the SeaWind fin are a production requirement which allows them to locate the through support rod correctly in the mold. Although you can get replacements in spare part set, Plastic parts D, it is a bit much to buy a set just for the two D7 pieces. On the last new fin I mounted I simply filled the hole with epoxy filled with micro-balloons . I taped a piece of wax paper over the back side of the hole to get a tight flat backing which is non-stick with epoxy. I filled the hole with the resin mix making sure to get air bubbles out until the hole was just filled proud of the fin surface. I waited until the epoxy started to set up then scraped the excess resin off the surface using a piece of straight edged plastic like a credit card, wiped around the edge carefully and left it to set up. It has worked just fine for a few years now.
Mike
Makes sense might follow your idea to filling the hole mine just has tape over it no plastic parts like Boomer was looking for.

Simon