kyosho seawind - Page 4 - RC Groups
Feb 26, 2011, 10:28 AM
If it floats....sail it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer1
Take a look at the cover below, the manufacturer of this hatch cuts them on CNC machine or something like that, so they fit really well. I went the easy route and purchased it.

Boomer
Boomer:

I got one of those covers last year and they work great. Much better than even a stiffened stock hatch. Now with the the deck awash during runs there there is zero water intrusion. The one downside is the tall thumbscrews. They look great, are easy to open and close, but they tend to catch the mainsheet at just the wrong time...like rounding the leeward mark! Once the sheet catches you cannot come back to closehauled and have to jibe around several times to free it.

To clear the deck I replaced the thumbscrews with 3/4" long 6-32 stainless steel button top machine screws from the local ACE Hardware that fit almost flush to the surface of the hatch cover. That solved the problem. They take a little longer to open and close with a screwdriver, but with a magnetic deck switch I only need to open and close the hatch once per day of racing since I can turn off the power as necessary without the need to go into the boat. All-in-all it was an excellent trade off.

BTW, that plate is Lexan rather the Plexiglass so it is difficult to break from torquing the screws down too tight, but I am sure it can be done if you are not careful. In order to assure a good seal, but not too much pressure, I use a little silicone grease on the gasket (plumbing section of your lhs). I can actually see when a good seal is made. As plate seals against the gasket, the surface looks darker and a little shiny. At that point I stop tightening the screws. The silicone grease does not attack the Lexan or the gasket over time while petroleum based products (Vaseline or white grease) might.

FC
to remove ads between posts
Feb 26, 2011, 06:51 PM
Boomer1
As a matter of general interest RJ continued to improve on his design for the hatch upgrade. One included shorter thumb screws, improved gasket material and a few other things I don't remember. I modified the factory sheet control set up, and have had no issues with any sheet fouling.

He is a really a nice fellow and builds a quality product. And if you were to cost out the parts and the machine services, you see he doesn't make much profit.

He saw an need, and created very nice solution. There a number of production rc boats out there that could benifit from his design and manufacturing skills.

Glad to hear that JR's hatch worked out for you. Take a look at the photo below. It is a stop action picture of my old CFE Seawind on the rail with water reaching the starboard helm, and no leaks!

Boomer
Feb 27, 2011, 12:19 AM
If it floats....sail it!
Boomer:

The information sheet I got with the package said it was the newer version with shorter thumbscrews and the sheet still caught at the most inopportune times.

My statement was not to say RJ's product is bad....its not, it works great and I was happy to buy the "insurance" to keep the boat afloat and the electronics dry. It is just that on my boat I had to change out the thumb screws for almost flush button head machine screws to guarantee the sheet did not foul. My solution was offered to the group in case others either had or were considering that possible problem.

Your running rigging modification as shown in the photo solves the issue as well, but since it is not in the spirit of the Seawind racing rules (using only OEM parts in the manner they were intended, or is one of the limited exceptions like modifying or changing out the hatch cover) I don't think it will pass the scrutiny of even the most lenient race director. For the cost of three screws at a grand total of 48 cents versus being disqualified over a highly debatable modification or risking the equipment malfunction during a race, I consider the screws money well spent and worth the extra hassle of using a screwdriver rather than my fingers.

If you sport sail rather than do organized/sanctioned racing, then you are free to do what you want to your boat and there are many excellent modifications posted that make the boat sail much better. My solution is race legal where yours is not. With either solution, the bilge stays dry even the most extreme conditions.

FC
Feb 27, 2011, 01:05 AM
Boomer1
FC
Never thought you were saying anything bad about his product design. Were I to go class racing, it would be simple to convert back to the factory set up.
Since, I sold that boat, it is a non issue.

I have gotten into Micro Magic boats, and perhaps a V32, to address any class racing interest.

It is all good

Boomer
Mar 12, 2011, 06:20 PM
Central Alabama RCShips, Sails
Bob, hows the build going?
Mar 13, 2011, 04:35 AM
Can you help me with small thing. I need purchase PEKABE 482 Single Rigging Screwse, and I can not find out anybody, who is selling this stuffse. Is somewhere some good internet store, with this goods??
Mar 13, 2011, 10:48 AM
Boomer1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDG 51
Can you help me with small thing. I need purchase PEKABE 482 Single Rigging Screw, and I can not find out anybody, who is selling this stuff. Is somewhere some good internet store, with this goods??
DDG 51
Check out this link on e-bay. The 2nd link is a good supplier of lots of SS rigging hardware. The last is a good source for the SS leader used to connect the turnbuckles/rigging screws.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PEKABE-482-Sin...item3a5dd5819b

SS Turnbuckles (called rigging screws #030-030) go to:https://www.radioyachtsuppliesaustra...er-Image.html#

SS Surflon leader = C045T-4 SS leader and sleeves = S3, 4, 4L Bright (clear)
Go to: http://www.southcreekshop.com/AFW-Su...essLeader.html

Boomer
Last edited by Boomer1; Mar 13, 2011 at 10:58 AM.
Mar 13, 2011, 02:38 PM
Thanks for webs. Last one is not working,but first one is googd for me.
Mar 31, 2011, 08:25 AM

Got Sailboat

Woo Hoo I have the seawind almost ready to sail. I misplaced the battens that came with the kit so I made them out of the green graphics material. I just have three more to put on before the maiden. here are two pictures of the boat. I built it according to the plans but may change a few things as I go.
Last edited by Robert Pulse; Mar 31, 2011 at 08:58 AM.
Mar 31, 2011, 10:06 AM
Boomer1
How about some close up pictures? These are too far away to get all the great details.
Boomer
Mar 31, 2011, 05:08 PM
Boomer
If I get too close you will be able to see my FUps LOL
I took it on its first shakedown today. Wind speed 2-3 mph with gusts to about 10 mph Sails great. Looks really cool in the sun. The battens almost look like lights on the sails. Now it will be fine tuning on Saturday. A woman at the park asked me if I needed to know anything about sailing to operate it, and another person asked how long the motor would run. Oh Heck
Bob
Mar 31, 2011, 05:59 PM
Boomer1
Bob
Looks pretty good to me! The deck looks really good in the dark color. Nice job!
Boomer
Apr 01, 2011, 01:57 AM
What a great job you have done Bob,the yacht looks stunning. What a great pond you have there to sail on.You will find some of the comments from passers by are very interesting and amusing. Do you have more Saewinds around the area?or do you sail alone?
Apr 01, 2011, 07:45 AM

seawind

There are four or five in our club along with solings and tt victorias. Enough to have a fun race. Some of the club members were talking sailboat races at westlake and its big enough to be a scale ocean to these boats, Should be great fun. Myself I can take the boat to the lake by myself and spend several hours relaxing with the wind. Its very soothing. Boomer the dark color is gloss black, the graphics are bright green
Bob
Apr 01, 2011, 09:43 AM
Boomer1
Bob
You may have posted this already, but wondering what tape did you use to get such sharp and clean edges, and what paint did you use? Rattle can or air brush?
The results are terrific. I also like your "pond". That kind of setting adds to the enjoyment.
I took the pictures below yesterday at my favorite "lake" or "pond". The conditions were perfect. We did some RC flying in the morning and then got in a hour of great sailing. These are not Seawinds, sorry, twin Yamaha RTW.
The pictures were taken at the Rancho California RV Resort -which surrounded by a golf course and about 28 of lakes like this one, about 18 miles outside of Temecula, Ca. You see the Palomar mountains in the background. The Palomar observatory is up on the top on one of the pecks. Amazingly clear everyday! 2200' above sea level. Some great R & R!

Boomer
Last edited by Boomer1; Apr 01, 2011 at 09:50 AM.