Hi WingRider05,
Great looking Seawind you have,i would also like to see Bobs
photo's.

Try this website http://azonic.co.nz/NZRYS/ a club here in
New Zealand.

Harry.
Feb 14, 2011, 04:02 PM

seawind progress

I havent got pictures yet but got the graphics done (modified copies of the seawinds graphics, My tuna for the sails Looks great) I have the servos mounted in their mount but not in the boat Started to tape the hull today for painting but had to get some automotive tape, and will get back to that later tonite. Hull is going to be black with really cool green graphics to compliment the green on the tuna. Boat will have BIG AIR where seawind goes on the hull. It was not quite fifty degrees here today and Im biting at the bit to paint it, but must be patient. Here is a sample I picked for the graphics but they will look like the stock seawind graphics. and the tuna on the sail.
Bob
Feb 14, 2011, 05:44 PM
Central Alabama RCShips, Sails
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUI-75
Hi WingRider05,
Great looking Seawind you have,i would also like to see Bobs
photo's.

Try this website http://azonic.co.nz/NZRYS/ a club here in
New Zealand.

Harry.
Sui75
Thanks for the site, I really enjoyed the pics as well as the articles.

Bob, I think your on the right track the graphics look really! I do like your tuna logo as well! keep us informed of your progress.

Tamiya make a really good masking tape for extra crisp paint lines. goes around the hull good as well.
Feb 14, 2011, 11:02 PM

seawind

Oh Heck I got a black deck The lhs had no gloss black paint and said it had been back ordered for about three months. Going to try one of my favorite model shops that is closing in April. Has the best selection of diecast and plastic models I have ever seen, Mel said the prices are getting out of control and he has had enough not to mention most of the kits are being manufactured in China, and They dont have a clue what the difference is between a dodge dart and a plymouth duster is. He also said it is time to put work away and retire. Im going to miss him and his ability to find about anything you needed in the diecast and modeling industry. Ill bet he has gloss black paint left. Mel is an avid collecter of plastic car kits and has shown me some I have never seen before. I think that the video game market has taken its toll on the hobby world and it will never recover. Kids dont want to build things, they want the instant gradification by winning VIDEO GAMES Yikes. Anyway thats my opinion. You can only play video games so long then you have to get a job. What are you going to do, play video games for a living? good luck. Bob
Feb 15, 2011, 12:48 AM
Hi Bob and Jared,
Tamiya do make great masking tape,it comes in different widths,i used it on Highwayman[48] when i painted the deck,mat black with dark green inserts.
I have two Seawinds SUI-75 [in the regatta photo section]and Highwayman.
The paint i used was Dulux in an aerosol can then spreyed mat clear over the graffix.
Harry
Feb 15, 2011, 12:37 PM
Harry,
That is a really good looking boat!! I really like the orange graphics on your sails, makes the boat stand out and your able to identify it in the crowd!

Bob,
I use Valspar rattle cans on all my models. You can pick these up at Lowe's, Home Depot or Wallyworld. A lot cheaper that at the LHS. But DO NOT mix different brands of paints together!! You'll end up with 'orange peel' everywhere. Take it from someone who knows. I used a different brand Primer than the final color coat and had a mess!! Be sure to use the same brand of clear as the color coat LOTS of work sanding and filling. Took me longer to fix the screw-up than building the Seawind.

If you use gloss over flat you'll wind up with a satin finish, not bad but not the high gloss your looking for.

Jared
Last edited by WingRider05; Feb 15, 2011 at 12:45 PM.
Feb 15, 2011, 10:00 PM

seawind paint

I used model masters gloss black. Turned out good and has a nice shine. I am going to sand it wet with about a 800 or 1000 grit paper then hit it with a clear gloss after I attach the graphics.When that is dry I will sand the bottom with something like a 1500 grit. I am going to let it dry for at least a week before I do any more work on it. Im geting excited about it but I know there is no hurry as it will be at least a month before the weather is good enough to sail it if not more. i put some floresent orange on my mini renigade rigger sponsons so I will be able to see it as the rest of it is natural wood colored. Its not like I dont have enough other projects to work on. Lets see Dusseldorf, Lindberg sport fisherman, ferry boat, mini cat hydro, Starlite paddle wheel, New wooden mono 1717 castel creations brushless motor, My pool noodle coast guard outboard boat, Sail boat is a priority though as it is the most relaxing. I have more but there not on the burner right now. So many projects so little time LOL
Bob
Feb 25, 2011, 03:28 PM

Graphics & Paint

The pictures dont do it justice but here is the hull. I purchased some smoked lexan for the access cover and some white Aquacraft thumb screws to hold it down. I think with the black deck parts it should bring it together quite nicely.
Last edited by Robert Pulse; Feb 25, 2011 at 03:37 PM.
Feb 25, 2011, 04:21 PM
Boomer1
Lookin good! A backing plate inside the hull will permit the new hatch cover you have made to get equal torque, which will yield a better seal.

Take a look at the cover below, the manufacturer of this hatch cuts them on CNC machine or something like that, so they fit really well. I went the easy route and purchased it.
Great job Robert!

Boomer
Feb 25, 2011, 06:21 PM

Gasket

Boomer
Do you know if you can get the gasket seperate? I can make my own but as you say it would be easier to just purchase it, I do want my hatch to be smoked though. The hatch and backing plate are easy to make. By the way I bought 20 turnbuckles on e-bay for a great price if anyone needs some??? I don't need them all. (Stainless)
Bob
Feb 25, 2011, 06:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer1
Lookin good! A backing plate inside the hull will permit the new hatch cover you have made to get equal torque, which will yield a better seal.

Take a look at the cover below, the manufacturer of this hatch cuts them on CNC machine or something like that, so they fit really well. I went the easy route and purchased it.
Great job Robert!

Boomer
I have a good jig saw and a bandsaw Proly not as perfect as cnc. But Im not afrade of sandpaper LOL
Feb 25, 2011, 07:19 PM
Boomer1
Robert,
I don't know if RJ would separate the kit. You can ask him. His e-mail address is: timmermann@neb.rr.comy

Worth at try

Boomer
Feb 25, 2011, 08:23 PM

gasket

Ok bommer I'll give it a try Thanks
Bob
Feb 25, 2011, 09:25 PM
Bob,

Great work on your Seawind, keep up the good work!!!