kyosho seawind - Page 2 - RC Groups
Dec 28, 2010, 05:14 PM

seawinds arrival

Ok I got the seawind just now. opened it up and have a question. (AGAIN!)
Do they all have the center indention on the bottom of the hull lengthwise fore and aft of the keel mount? Does it need to be filled so its not a detrement to sailing? BTW Thanks for all the responces and answers to my silly questions.
Bob
to remove ads between posts
Dec 29, 2010, 09:27 AM

seawind

Thank you JookSing. I have the servo covered now.
About the above post about the drepression on the bottom of the hull. If my guesstamation is correct the depression is about 1/32nd to 1/16" by the keel mount hole at it's deepest and stretches about 8 to 10 inches in front of and behind the keel mount hole. I know the destructions state to fill imperfections in the hull with filler, but seems to me thats a lot of filler. I would take a picture but I don't think it will show up well enough to see.
Bob
Dec 29, 2010, 09:42 AM
Central Alabama RCShips, Sails
I don't think it will matter much if you fill or not. You do want to reinforce the mount for the keel on the inside. A very good build article is here:

http://malaysia-rc.com/index.php?topic=3240.70

Resource Center here:

http://www.seawindrc.com/default.asp

These should answer any questions you may have building your boat.

Good luck and provide us with a build log here with plenty of pictures.............

Jared
Dec 29, 2010, 05:36 PM

Links

I have been looking through those but there isn't a lot said about the bottom of the hull except for the keel mount and how it can be prone to leakage. I guess Ill just use my best judgment as far as the filler is concerned.
Bob
Last edited by Robert Pulse; Dec 29, 2010 at 06:10 PM.
Jan 01, 2011, 09:14 AM
Bob, my hull didn't have the indents as you describe. It may be a slight nuisance, but won't affect the boat's performance. I'd probably fill them in if it were me, just because I let little things like this bug me..

John
Jan 01, 2011, 12:12 PM

depressions

Me too!
I dont claim to be a perfectionist but It doesn't look right to me. I know it is down the middle of the hull and more than likely won't make a dercernable difference but I think I'll know it is there and and would be apt to blame the loss of a race on it, not my piloting. Oh well maybe I better rethink that one.
LOL
Bob
Jan 01, 2011, 12:25 PM
Anybody have a piece of cf cloth large enough for reinforcing the keel mount they would sell? That stuff is expensive and comes in way larger quantities than you need.
Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingRider05
I don't think it will matter much if you fill or not. You do want to reinforce the mount for the keel on the inside. A very good build article is here:

http://malaysia-rc.com/index.php?topic=3240.70

Resource Center here:

http://www.seawindrc.com/default.asp

These should answer any questions you may have building your boat.

Good luck and provide us with a build log here with plenty of pictures.............

Jared
Jan 01, 2011, 02:04 PM
Thermals the path to elevation
You can get a square yard of fiberglass cloth for about $5.50, then use the CF tapes for another $5.00:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...93p?&C=RKB&P=7

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...3E+fiber+tapes

After laying up the CF tape to make a CF patch, it's strong enough for our launch pegs in the DLG wings.
Jan 05, 2011, 08:35 AM

seawind

Just playing hunter gatherer, sanded the area around the inside of the keel trunk for the reinforcement cf I ordered. Found a second set of sails but didnt buy them and now their gone $38.00 OOPs
Bob
Jan 11, 2011, 03:40 PM

Cf reinforcement

Well now that I have my sail graphics ordered It is time to start on the boat. I made a paper pattern for the carbon fiber reinforcement and it fits perfect. Now the fun part. I've been told cf gives you terrible slivers if you dont handle it properly. I was thinking that If I tape the back and front of the cf the width of my pattern plus a little, then sketch the pattern and cut it out with an xacto knife or scissors. I should be fairly safe if wearing playtex gloves. The tape is that green masking tape and Im thinking it should pick up a lot of slivers as its removed. Am I being too much of a woosey with it? With the three colors I have picked, Ill need to have a waterline so does anyone know about where the boat sits in the water? In the build their boat is a solid color so its no help.
Bob
Jan 12, 2011, 08:55 PM

seawind cf

Ok I took pix of the process up to installation and my sail logo
Bob
Jan 29, 2011, 11:34 PM

OOPs that didn't work

I went to put the cf in the hull and when I went to take the tape off the cf, well it didn't come off. So I cut out another piece of cf, put the mixed epoxy on some wax paper and placed the cf on top of the epoxy. Placed another peice of wax paper on top of that and used a puddy knife to blend the two together by passing the puddy knife back and forth across the wax paper up and down and across until the cf was saturated with the epoxy. I had the hull of the seawind taped off to protect it from becoming covered in the messy epoxy. DON"T THINK YOU DON"T HAVE TO DO THIS AS IT IS MESSY! It was a little difficult to get the cf to the proper location but I got it done. I recieved the turnbuckles from Australia today and they are well worth the money and wait. They will make transport way easy. I was experimenting with denatured alcohol and the epoxy as you can delute normal epoxy with it and use it as sort of a paint. It doesn't dry properly (stays sticky) with this type of epoxy (3M DP420 epoxy) and that is what I used because of the shear and tear resistance and is formulated for use with abs plastics. I had my brother checking as to weather or not I could have the sails screenprinted with the logo that I have been allowed to use and the screenprinter said that the sail would melt with the process so Im sticking with stickers. Thats it for now but Ill be back
Bob
Jan 30, 2011, 01:41 PM
Central Alabama RCShips, Sails
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Pulse
With the three colors I have picked, Ill need to have a waterline so does anyone know about where the boat sits in the water? In the build their boat is a solid color so its no help.
Bob
Bob, i choose this combination rather than marking a waterline. Maybe a multi-color design rather than a waterline on the hull?
Jan 31, 2011, 12:32 PM

Paint

I like it!
It will also help avoid the chipping of the paint on the nose of the boat as my last sailboat did. Also gives a great outline of the hull.
Bob