Feb 11, 2014, 02:09 PM
WHAT THE...
The technical data listed on the site for the servos shows:
[Sail] KS501SW (waterproof/torque18kg)/ [Rudder] KS202W (waterproof)
to remove ads between posts
Feb 11, 2014, 02:26 PM
WHAT THE...
Here's a sort of un-boxing video on youtube

RC Sailboat Seawind Kyosho (Ready Set 2014) (1 min 36 sec)
Feb 11, 2014, 04:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer1
I just called and talked with Kyosho and they advised that a few boats did come in (very few) bet were sold or pre-sold and are being shipped. The next "stock" should arrive mid March according to my contact - As of today, their site lists them as "not for sale" or available. To bad............... http://www.kyoshoamerica.com/SEAWIND...T_p_22749.html

Their listing them for $357.99. Doesn't matter if they don't have them.

Sailrc.com will be selling them when they come it. Not sure what Steve will be asking for his. Have to wait and see.

Since I have two, I'm not interested for myself but do have some friends that have expressed an interest. Be nice as we might be able to get some class racing together if they all got these boats.

Oh, I asked my contact to get the specs on the new servo's so we can determine if they are on a par with the originally spec'd
Futaba S 3801. The new ones are reported as being waterproof which is a nice upgrade for sure. I will check back in a month to see if they have received the specs'. He also told me he has ordered servos for stock!

Be very interesting to get the details!
I received the info from Mike Eades, the Seawind Class Secretary. He said the second shipment should be substantial enough to provide some stock as well as fulfill orders already placed. Mike's due to receive one from the first shipment, and hopefully he will report on it when he does.

Andy
Feb 11, 2014, 05:03 PM
If it floats....sail it!
Boomer:

I received the following from the commodore of one of our local clubs who is also the R6 Seawind Class Director:

- The 'readyset' version has arrived in the US! An evaluation boat is being shipped to Mike Eades (the SeaWind class secretary) as I write this. So we should be able to learn all about it real soon. The first shipment is relatively small (just enough to cover the existing website back orders). However, a much larger shipment is due on 2/27 which will allow for Inventory and all outstanding orders to stores.

- The seawindrc.com webmaster has been unavailable for several months, so there are no updates being posted there. In fact, the site is down completely right now. So, keep an eye on the AMYA SeaWind page (http://theamya.org/boats/seawind/) for any updates.

- The link to the latest issue (Fall/Winter 2013) of the SeaWind Express newsletter can be found at AMYA SeaWind page (or just go visit http://theamya.org/boats/seawind/seawindexpress.php).
I will be reevaluating the price I set on my boat. However, it is painted, registered, has Hitec servos and is ready to race (even comes with batteries), so it will still be more than the new ones. I'm in no hurry since it serves as my back up boat and potentially one to "hook" a new member, either by a sale or a charter.
Feb 13, 2014, 09:44 AM

SeaWind Readyset

I received my Readyset SeaWind yesterday and am in process of conducting a full evaluation which I will record with photos and do a full write up for Model Yachting and SeaWind Express. Rather than provide information piecemeal I will just say that initial impressions are generally very favorable. There are a few issues that require further evaluation and while the rigging is completed according to the kit instructions, there are a few things that are improperly done due to assembly by unskilled folk so there are some things that need to be redone and well known modifications to overcome kit shortcomings also need attention before the boat is fully competitive.
More information once my evaluation is complete including sailing trials this weekend.
Mike Eades
Secretary, SeaWind COA
Feb 13, 2014, 11:20 AM
Thanks Mike! We look forward to reading and hearing all about it.

Andy
Feb 13, 2014, 01:45 PM
Boomer1
Ditto that. Standing by for your report.
Boomer
Feb 13, 2014, 07:35 PM
First time poster here. No RC experience at all.

I have ordered a Seawind from Kyosho and it is coming on Monday. Just lucky to get it. Will be setting it up soon. Hope Mike can post his recommendations/observations and "improper things" done. This would help me tremendously.

I am very fortunate that I have very experienced Seawinds skippers here, (Naples, Fl) to assist me. Once introduced...and hooked...into RC sailing, I felt it necessary to wait and hold out for the Seawind. My decision was based on the information, support, data, and racing opportunities, definitely favor the Seawind over many other One meter boats.

My ship comes in on Monday Feb 17.
Feb 13, 2014, 08:40 PM
Vulcaneer,
Welcome to the Seawind fleet! They're great boats and should provide many years of sailing enjoyment!

Andy
Feb 13, 2014, 09:08 PM
Andy, Thank you for the welcome. And it's kinda funny how this all happened. We are RV'ers, and snowbirds. Found a very nice place in FL that has an awful lot of RV activities. And one of those is an RC sailing. While I sailed as a kid in my Dad's Cape Cod Cat (gaf rigged) boat, and later in my Sunfish, I never expected to get involved. Just had no idea that RC boating was out there.

But these people here, have opened their arms to me. And invited me in to their group. Let me sail their Seawinds boats. Offered to let me race with them. Helped me to learn some of the basics. Just really SUPER people.

So they told me about the Seawinds. And that the Tsunami had wiped out the plant. And that they were trying to bring back production. So I went on the Kyosho website. And registered. Could see there were no Seawinds available. Did all the research. e-bay, google, all the web sites...Nada. Looked at alternatives. Nirvana, Vela, Victoria, Soling, Phantom, and so on. But everything I saw, told me to hold out for the Seawind. So checking the Kyosho website 3 times a day...and one time I saw the Seawind was "in stock". I hit the add to cart button. Really did not think it would happen for me.

Got an order confirmation. Still did not believe it was for real. Then a few days later came the shipping confirmation. HOLY STUFF!!! It might actually happen.

Now what???....Gotta buy some batteries. Found an RC hobby shop that had some spare parts. and up grades. $200 later, I might be somewhat better prepared.

But I will need to still depend on my new friends here to help me get going. And I have every confidence they will. And then some.
Feb 13, 2014, 09:19 PM
I meant to do that....
Well Vulcaneer, I hope you are prepared to have some serious fun this coming year when your Seawind finally hits the water. You made a great choice in holding out for a Seawind, they are truly a great ship. There are a lot of friendly people on here who will be more than happy to give you advice on anything you may need.
Oh, and before I forget....welcome to RCGroups !
Feb 14, 2014, 07:57 AM
Boomer1
Vulcaneer
Good work securing your new Seawind. Be sure to check out the Seawind resource websie. If you have not visited it you will be very happy to find a wealth of information on these boats - fixes, tuning, rigging, etc.
One issue inherent with past Seawinds is the leaky hatch seal provided by the factory. Has to be addressed - details on how to do this are provided there as well.

Many RC boats come with a leaky hatch - very easy fix.

Boomer
Feb 14, 2014, 10:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer1
Vulcaneer
Good work securing your new Seawind. Be sure to check out the Seawind resource websie. If you have not visited it you will be very happy to find a wealth of information on these boats - fixes, tuning, rigging, etc.
One issue inherent with past Seawinds is the leaky hatch seal provided by the factory. Has to be addressed - details on how to do this are provided there as well.

Many RC boats come with a leaky hatch - very easy fix.

Boomer
A gentlemen from our club here in Kansas sells a replacement hatch cover kit for $20. If you're interested, I can give you his contact info.

On the Resource Center...
Currently it's not functioning. Hopefully it's only temporary!
Feb 16, 2014, 10:34 AM

Why I held out for Seawind

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashnburned
Well Vulcaneer, I hope you are prepared to have some serious fun this coming year when your Seawind finally hits the water. You made a great choice in holding out for a Seawind, they are truly a great ship. There are a lot of friendly people on here who will be more than happy to give you advice on anything you may need.
Oh, and before I forget....welcome to RCGroups !
Not wanting to hi-jack this thread. However, you folks here are the reason I held out for the Seawind. You see...when I searched out all the other options, it was you guys that offered such great advice. And the various Seawinds threads, showed the advantages, as well. I hope you all realize, the importance of all your experience and expertise, that you bring to us that are very unknowing in this forum.

So I do want to thank you all for your help.

I hope you're patient. I should be receiving my shipment late tomorrow. Then the technical questions will begin. Let me just say that I do promise I will use the search function, before I bore you with a question that has already been asked.
Feb 18, 2014, 04:57 AM
Soaring Fanatic!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcaneer
Not wanting to hi-jack this thread. However, you folks here are the reason I held out for the Seawind.
+1 I too decided on the Seawind due to the wealth of resources out there and here!

I've got one question though for those of you who already have your Seawind in working order... What is the diameter of the Rudder Shaft?
I'm designing my own extended rudder since the shipping from Stockmarine is way over my budget.

-8th

Quick Reply