This thread is privately moderated by JussiH, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Aug 23, 2011, 06:15 AM
Fabio Varesano
Do you have any other suggestion, timecop? I'm all ears.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 23, 2011, 06:34 AM
Did my first quad flight today, cant wait for this new freeIMU

Awesome work!
Aug 23, 2011, 11:26 AM
Fabio Varesano
My Quadcopter, almost ready
Aug 23, 2011, 06:12 PM
Fabio Varesano
Ok, so here we are! 65 FreeIMU v0.3.5_MS assembled by hand and tested successfully! Tomorrow these will be shipped from Italy to Jussi's home in Denmark and hopefully they'll be available for shopping on http://www.viacopter.eu/ next week!

Aug 23, 2011, 06:38 PM
Have you already said what the price will be? I'm very interested, but can't find it in the website and don't know how much it will be.
Aug 23, 2011, 07:08 PM
very impressive excellent work Fabio
Aug 23, 2011, 11:06 PM
Retired CAD guy
soldering fool fer sure !!!

Are those your Static discharge rings ??? :-)

I am QUEUED up on Jussi's site for notification !

Ready to PULL THE HANDLE !!!
Aug 24, 2011, 05:08 AM
Friend is a 4 letter word...
Thread OP
Excellent work, Fabio. Very impressive!

I will put them up for sale as soon they arrive - which should be tomorrow!

Thanks again!

Price will be 84E for MS version! And 79 for the BMP version when that arrives! Price includes VAT, and these will be covered by normal EU buyer protection!
Aug 24, 2011, 08:04 AM
DiaLFonZo - UAV/Drone
Woot Woot...
I am in for one..
Aug 24, 2011, 08:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JussiH
Price will be 84E for MS version! And 79 for the BMP version when that arrives!
Hi, I've read so many different opinions about the MS and the BMP-baro, but I'm not sure, if they were still valid, or if they related only to special versions of the multiwii etc.

I have seen the comment "untested" to the MS-baro in the multiwii-sourcecode: Would you recommend the MS or the BMP-version for usage with the multiwii 1.8? And or with the Ardupirates code?

Thank you for recommendations, Olaf.
Aug 24, 2011, 08:17 AM
DiaLFonZo - UAV/Drone
Sorry, but i just join that thread..!

What's the big difference between the:
FreeFlight IMU 1.22L
and
FreeIMU v0.3.5_MS

I would like to have such an integrated board..!

Eric
Quebec Canada
Aug 24, 2011, 08:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by olaf.j
Hi, I've read so many different opinions about the MS and the BMP-baro, but I'm not sure, if they were still valid, or if they related only to special versions of the multiwii etc.

I have seen the comment "untested" to the MS-baro in the multiwii-sourcecode: Would you recommend the MS or the BMP-version for usage with the multiwii 1.8? And or with the Ardupirates code?

Thank you for recommendations, Olaf.
Hi,
It's currently quoted as untested just because I didn't have yet the opportunity to test if the code was good or not it in a real condition.
But it's a question of days since I will have soon this nice IMU.
By the way Warthox already did a successful test of it with v1.8 some days ago
Aug 24, 2011, 08:30 AM
Friend is a 4 letter word...
Thread OP
Well, I think we can safely say that MS barometer is more precise and less noisy than BMP. But with the current implementation on altitude-hold/hover-assist the BMP085 is performing good and yielding a good hold with the Multiwii code! As far as I know MS does not yet work properly with Multiwii, but I think it would a safe bet to say it will do so very soon in a Dev version, now that one is on its way to Alex.

If you plan to try out ardupirates or aeroquad, I would go with the BMP version, as that is the "official" barometer for these two platforms. But it is likely that AP and AQ willl support MS5611 down the line...

The units coming in now are all MS versions. BMP version will be available after the 1st of september some time - Fabio has some work obligations to attend to before he can continue assembly!

One thing is for sure: The leadtime on MS5611 is Looooong. 8-10 weeks according to Meas and Amsys. I got some of the last ones that Amsys had in stock, and the message was that from now on there will be the 8-10 weeks leadtime on these. So if you want one soon, you should pick it up now...

I have made a deal with Fabio that I delay putting them up for sale with 24 hours, to allow him to give his community a headsup. This means they will probably be available in the shop on friday!
Aug 24, 2011, 08:33 AM
Fabio Varesano
@Dialfonzo Thank you!

@olaf.j That's a good question. Basically, my tests as others (see discussions on previous pages), shown that the MS5611 performs better than the BMP085. While the BMP085 readings oscillate in a 50 cm range, the MS5611 goes down to 10cm or even better when doing some smart averaging on its data.

However, such tests have been done in a quiet environment (my office), no comparison have been made on fly between them. That's because the current MultiWii code support for the MS5611 is partial and surely needs improvement. That's why some days ago I shipped an FreeIMU v0.3.5_MS to Alexinparis, hoping he could help me improving my code for the MS5611 in the MultiWii code.

So, right now the BMP085 does performs better on fly than the MS5611 while my tests shown that the MS5611 outperforms the BMP085 in desk tests. I'm pretty confident that with a proper code such better performance would happens also in fly.

But, these are very good sensors anyway. Also, as someone noted some pages earlier, the improvement in precision between the BMP085 and MS5611 may actually come unnoticed in flight..

So, in the end.. I think I didn't actually replied to your question.. but that's where we are right now.
Aug 24, 2011, 08:51 AM
Fabio Varesano
Quote:
What's the big difference between the:
FreeFlight IMU 1.22L
and
FreeIMU v0.3.5_MS
The FreeFlight IMU 1.22L had the BMA180, ITG3200, HMC5883L, BMP085.
The FreeIMU v0.3.5_MS has the BMA180, ITG3200, HMC5883L, MS5611.
The FreeIMU v0.3.5_BMP has the BMA180, ITG3200, HMC5883L, BMP085 (just as the FFIMU).

Both the FreeIMU are slightly smaller than the FFIMU. Personally, I see FreeIMU v0.3.5 as the natural evolution of FFIMU.

Quick Reply