Thread Tools
Jul 09, 2011, 06:44 AM
1 revolution and throw!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATOM_DK_F3K
Damn .... That's high.
Maybe an indication of the Helios excellent design?


Just ordered a RAM3. Can't wait to test it!

thanks but credit need to go to gerald taylor for his airfoil design, the thin airfoil penetrates very well and that's the reason for the high launches...

-kristof-
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Jul 09, 2011, 09:12 AM
F3K is living
ATOM_DK_F3K's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by krikkens
thanks but credit need to go to gerald taylor for his airfoil design, the thin airfoil penetrates very well and that's the reason for the high launches...

-kristof-
Ohh, then ... Thank you too Gerald Taylor.

Was out again today. Very different conditions.
Windy 5 m/s, 10 m/s gusts. Increased to 7 m/s 15 in the gusts.

Man do the thermals move quick in these conditions. Started with the Mistral with 30g ballast. Did ok, but could not spot the thermals. Changed to the Helios w. 40g ballast. Haven't trimmed it to 80g yet.

No trouble spotting the thermals with the Helios, but as stated earlier, they moved very fast. Didn't want to risk damaging the Helios, so stopped quickly, as I'm not used to fly in these conditions, but no problems flying the Helios.

The Helios is way better than the Mistal in every department. Have a new Mistral waiting to be put together, but to tell the truth, don't think I'd bother. Have to wait for Helios #2 to arrive.
Last edited by ATOM_DK_F3K; Jul 09, 2011 at 09:27 AM.
Jul 09, 2011, 09:54 AM
Make Flying Fun
Enlightening huh ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATOM_DK_F3K
Ohh, then ... Thank you too Gerald Taylor.

Was out again today. Very different conditions.
Windy 5 m/s, 10 m/s gusts. Increased to 7 m/s 15 in the gusts.

Man do the thermals move quick in these conditions. Started with the Mistral with 30g ballast. Did ok, but could not spot the thermals. Changed to the Helios w. 40g ballast. Haven't trimmed it to 80g yet.

No trouble spotting the thermals with the Helios, but as stated earlier, they moved very fast. Didn't want to risk damaging the Helios, so stopped quickly, as I'm not used to fly in these conditions, but no problems flying the Helios.

The Helios is way better than the Mistal in every department. Have a new Mistral waiting to be put together, but to tell the truth, don't think I'd bother. Have to wait for Helios #2 to arrive.
Jul 09, 2011, 11:02 AM
F3K is living
ATOM_DK_F3K's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinSharbonda
Enlightening huh ?
For sure!
Jul 09, 2011, 12:57 PM
F3K
tasbori's Avatar
251ft?!!!
OMG,batman!!!
Jul 09, 2011, 03:54 PM
G_T
G_T
Registered User
Perhaps I should start counting my launch height by how short of the top launchers I am... That way, at least the numbers will be increasing!

Gerald

PS - !@#$, that's high!
Jul 10, 2011, 12:23 PM
Team Horizon Pilot :)
251 huh
Latest blog entry: cr
Jul 10, 2011, 04:28 PM
1 revolution and throw!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Trussell
251 huh
yeah same reaction here , wich i could launch like that...

-kristof-
Jul 10, 2011, 06:45 PM
Aurora Builder
Dang that is high! I'm fairly certain I'm launching my Zone V2 to over 170' consistently now. It launches higher than the v1.5 which is a very high launching plane (20-30' lower than Oleg), but the v2 weighs more, the wing is stiffer and the entire plane is cleaner, all of which add up to higher launches.

I'm certain the Helios can launch even higher as it is likely stiffer than my v2 and the wing design is closer to Gerald's original than mine. In the computer Gerald's design has a bit better drag performance in high speed flight but my wing has a little bit better sink performance. It was a compromise I was willing to try as I feel the Zone can suffer a little in light conditions and I was designing for a more all around aircraft.

With lots of practice perhaps we can all launch to 250'!

-Sam
Jul 11, 2011, 05:17 AM
1 revolution and throw!
sam,

i was not there when they did those launches but there's a diffrence between letting it go till stall point or flat it out to start flying , i'll bet they just let it stall...but i'm not getting near those numbers anyway.

170 feet is my average too..

-kristof-


Quote:
Originally Posted by samc99us
Dang that is high! I'm fairly certain I'm launching my Zone V2 to over 170' consistently now. It launches higher than the v1.5 which is a very high launching plane (20-30' lower than Oleg), but the v2 weighs more, the wing is stiffer and the entire plane is cleaner, all of which add up to higher launches.

I'm certain the Helios can launch even higher as it is likely stiffer than my v2 and the wing design is closer to Gerald's original than mine. In the computer Gerald's design has a bit better drag performance in high speed flight but my wing has a little bit better sink performance. It was a compromise I was willing to try as I feel the Zone can suffer a little in light conditions and I was designing for a more all around aircraft.

With lots of practice perhaps we can all launch to 250'!

-Sam
Jul 11, 2011, 05:25 AM
Jens Hoffmann
jensdk's Avatar
Guys
It's not all about the plane/airfoil, a LOT of training,practice,skill,finetuning and some power that's what it takes, so don't worry if you only throw 170 feet. just stay sharp in the thermals and outfly the guys who threw 250feet.

"That's the way to practice those low level thermals" ;-) (Joe W.)
Jul 11, 2011, 05:40 AM
Registered User
gmo78's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by krikkens
sam,

i was not there when they did those launches but there's a diffrence between letting it go till stall point or flat it out to start flying , i'll bet they just let it stall...but i'm not getting near those numbers anyway.

170 feet is my average too..

-kristof-
I was there, was not convenient to leave the model stall after the launch because the laser altimeter used by the japan TM needs 3 seconds with the model very slow for the measurement. So, for obtain the best height, was necessary to avoid the stall and let the model flying under wind for 3 seconds.

Here the link of the laser, by the distance and the angle it calculate the height of the target:
http://www.nikon.com/products/sporto...50as/index.htm

I saw some people making movies/photos (probably from the Swedish team), should be interesting to see the different launch techniques.
Jul 11, 2011, 07:32 AM
1 revolution and throw!
jens,

thinner wings should launch higher but indeed the technique is very important .

it's just how much speed you can give the model when releasing it, how the model is trimmed out and setup is important from there .

i see diffrence in guy's launching , some guy's rotate very quick so the model has a lot of speed during rotation and release , some people seem to rotate much slower and accelerate during the last 45-90 of the turn, you need power for that.

-kristof-



Quote:
Originally Posted by jensdk
Guys
It's not all about the plane/airfoil, a LOT of training,practice,skill,finetuning and some power that's what it takes, so don't worry if you only throw 170 feet. just stay sharp in the thermals and outfly the guys who threw 250feet.

"That's the way to practice those low level thermals" ;-) (Joe W.)
Last edited by krikkens; Jul 11, 2011 at 07:39 AM.
Jul 16, 2011, 07:40 AM
1 revolution and throw!

new tail lay-up and vertical mount


hi ,

i have been experimenting with more traditional lay-ups to reduce some weight in the tail's .

the vertical has a carbon spar 3x1mm because ir suufer's the most from bad landings , also the bottom side has a spread-tow doubler also for the same reason.

both vertical and horizontal have a spread-tow band to improve stiffness

there's an extra layer of glass(50gr) on all tip part's to improve durability(hangar rash) .

new set' weigh around 11.5 gr/set , that's 1.5gr lighter then with previous lay-up.


also when the vertical was side mounted it tended to delam on hard (sideway's) landing's , beacause the skin couldn't take all the load of this.

i started to search for a lightweight fixture to prevent this .

found something, tested it and aproved it , weight gain is only 0.3gram.

-kristof-
Jul 16, 2011, 03:12 PM
Make Flying Fun
Kudos again, how liking the carbon wing in flight and on arm strength ?


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Build Log IBCrazy's homebrew antenna tracker IBCrazy FPV Talk 48 Oct 25, 2012 06:07 PM
Sold Hyperion Helios 63 size Pattern Plane , Scorpion powered ,lpu socal Dennis Everett Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 3 Dec 29, 2010 11:19 AM
Found 40" DLG apogee xray fireworks homebrew RCDC Aircraft - Sailplanes (FS/W) 0 Jul 29, 2008 01:14 PM
Discussion Homebrew DLG Launch Problems Sail Aire Hand Launch 11 Aug 24, 2006 08:42 PM
Build Log Homebrew Mini DLG Build Hutch Hand Launch 46 Nov 23, 2004 07:59 AM