Thread Tools
Dec 26, 2010, 11:50 PM
TEAM EXTREME!
danielph's Avatar
25% Expo on the ailerons/elevator and 15% on the rudder works great as well.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Dec 27, 2010, 12:24 AM
Team Extreme Flight
Doc Austin's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielph
25% Expo on the ailerons/elevator and 15% on the rudder works great as well.
On high rates? Woo-hoo .... I don't think I could hang on to that.
Dec 27, 2010, 12:25 AM
Registered User
grubby's Avatar
Doc I do have about 80 degrees of throw in my Extra and about 90 in the MXS. The MXS wasnt hard to fly just more touchy on the elevator. For the style of flying I do I think the size of the elevator suit me best. The MXS is an awesome plane and was my favorite till I got my 51 Slick.

The MXS is great at just about any type of flying but my style like the Extra better.

The Extra is my Favorite 48" sized plane followed suit by the MXS.
Dec 27, 2010, 12:27 AM
Registered User
grubby's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Austin
On high rates? Woo-hoo .... I don't think I could hang on to that.
I only setup expo on one rate with my extra and it was a bad idea. Instictively I flipped the switch and was running 0 expo on all controls
Dec 27, 2010, 12:42 AM
Team Extreme Flight
Doc Austin's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by grubby
I only setup expo on one rate with my extra and it was a bad idea. Instictively I flipped the switch and was running 0 expo on all controls
I once accidentially set up my low rates with backward expo. It was fine on high rates, but on low it was so twitchy I could hardly fly it at all!

I know how valuable rate switches are, but my problem is that I go from high speed to alpha and back again over and over so fast that I am always flipping the switch, and I don't like the distraction. I generally leave the switch alone and do everything on high rates. I'm currently using low rates to work the elevator only, and that is to drop it from 88 degrees to 50.
Dec 27, 2010, 12:50 AM
TEAM EXTREME!
danielph's Avatar
I feel more more in tune with the plane with less expo. Everything feels more precise as well. It's all personal preference and I don't drink coffee... (not saying there's anything wrong with it. lol)
Dec 27, 2010, 09:35 AM
Epoxy & CA Investor
DenverJayhawk's Avatar
so it seems the Extra has the reputation for precision, IMAC, and 3D.

The MXS has insane tumbling and pitch.

What would you say the Edge is known for? My edge tumbles so quickly I can't keep up with it. I can't imagine what the mxs must be like.
Dec 27, 2010, 09:46 AM
TEAM EXTREME!
danielph's Avatar
The Edge is the most stable in 3D and IMO, the most fun for freestyle flying! -they're all good and it's hard to chose.
Dec 27, 2010, 09:48 AM
Team Extreme Flight
Doc Austin's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverJayhawk
so it seems the Extra has the reputation for precision, IMAC, and 3D.

The MXS is for insane tumbling

What would you say the Edge is known for? My edge tumbles so quickly I can't keep up with it. I can't imagine what the mxs must be like.
The Edge is very similar to the Extra, but I think it is more solid in harrier. I need to put together another Edge as soon as they are back in stock, and this time use an 85MG on the elevator servo.

BTW, I used one of the new 6 volt Airboss 45 ESCs on this plane and do those poor little servos ever scream their guts out now. No matter how hard I parachute or wall the Extra, the elevator servo can keep up...ailerons and rudder too. The Airboss was already the best ESC and now it's even better.

Unfortunately I have about 10 of them I need to replace with the improved units!

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielph
The Edge is the most stable in 3D and IMO, the most fun for freestyle flying! -they're all good and it's hard to chose.
More fun than the MXS?
Dec 27, 2010, 01:14 PM
Twisted Realm's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Austin
The Edge is very similar to the Extra, but I think it is more solid in harrier. I need to put together another Edge as soon as they are back in stock, and this time use an 85MG on the elevator servo.

BTW, I used one of the new 6 volt Airboss 45 ESCs on this plane and do those poor little servos ever scream their guts out now. No matter how hard I parachute or wall the Extra, the elevator servo can keep up...ailerons and rudder too. The Airboss was already the best ESC and now it's even better.

Unfortunately I have about 10 of them I need to replace with the improved units!



More fun than the MXS?
Doc I didn't know about the new Airboss's they sound great!
Dec 27, 2010, 01:53 PM
Epoxy & CA Investor
DenverJayhawk's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Realm
Doc I didn't know about the new Airboss's they sound great!
Same here. I have the airboss 45 and the info says it has 5.2v. Didn't know about the 6V upgrade.
Dec 27, 2010, 02:13 PM
Team Extreme Flight
Doc Austin's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverJayhawk
Same here. I have the airboss 45 and the info says it has 5.2v. Didn't know about the 6V upgrade.
It's a recent improvement and Extreme Flight didn't make a big deal out of it, but it's a righteous upgrade. I don't know why they did it, but I am guessing that the EXP series is so much higher performing that the servos needed a little help to keep up with the airframes.
Dec 27, 2010, 05:09 PM
Registered User
havard.j's Avatar
Rocket launch
Dec 27, 2010, 06:02 PM
Team Extreme! Team Twisted!
hercdriver7777's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverJayhawk
so it seems the Extra has the reputation for precision, IMAC, and 3D.

The MXS has insane tumbling and pitch.

What would you say the Edge is known for? My edge tumbles so quickly I can't keep up with it. I can't imagine what the mxs must be like.
I know you got a lot of answers but here's what I think.

The Edge is the 3D machine. You can pop the elevator and harrier, waterfall, hover and all the traditional 3D stuff with ease. It's got a very much forward wing area and a very aft elevator which makes those maneuvers that require balancing the plane on the prop easier, much like it is easier to balance a long broom stick on your finger than it is a short one.

I find the MXS to be the most precise but it also has the most elevator control which makes it have, IMO, the biggest flight envelope of the three. It ranges from pattern-like-precision to insane 3D passing pylon racer somewhere in the middle. Because it has a double taper wing and a slightly higher aspect ratio (with the tips) it is not as easy to 3D (yet is still fully 3D capable) it snaps, rolls and tumbles beautifully. Additionally with the horizontal stab slid forward some of the leverage from the huge elevator is kept in check and even though the elevator is both huge and can deflect nearly 90 degrees I find that it is less sensitive in precision than the Edge.

The Extra to me is more like a jack of all trades. It does have a double taper wing, which snaps and rolls easier than the Edge but it doesn't have the tips which make the MXS so smooth. It does have a huge elevator and lots of throw (all three of them do) but the elevator seems to be tamer and more controlled than the Edge in precision. It does great tumbles and pushovers but they require more skill than the Edge and aren't as crazy as the MXS.

I like all 3 of them and on any given day I pick the one suits whatever I am practicing the best.
Dec 27, 2010, 06:03 PM
Team Extreme! Team Twisted!
hercdriver7777's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by havard.j
Rocket launch
Nice! That looks like and awesome place to fly! Where are you?


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cool New - Extreme Flight 60" Edge 540T EXP!!! hercdriver7777 3D Flying 13630 Yesterday 04:34 PM
Sold Extreme Flight Extra EXP 48 RTF HKC3 Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 0 Dec 15, 2010 09:47 PM
Sold 48" Edge EXP Extreme Flight, make offer crazyflyin Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 9 Sep 14, 2010 06:45 AM
Sold Extreme Flight EXP Extra 48inch (Red n Black) HKC3 Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 0 Sep 12, 2010 01:43 AM
Sold Extreme Flight Edge 540 EXP Rc_heli_flier Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 4 Sep 01, 2010 11:51 AM