Feb 24, 2020, 02:57 PM
3D Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideslip
I'll take a shot at this, and let Chris step in if I've got it wrong.

I don't believe there is much if any Kevlar fiber material involved in the new Extreme Flight models.

There is and has been Carbon Fiber material and the new planes have more carbon fiber as well as an increase in the use of G2 Fiberglass reinforcements where G2 has been bonded to thin plywood parts to increase the strength to weight ratio.

I have not noticed a great deal of increase in cost that I would attribute to new building materials. The factory that makes these planes is a well run efficient factory employing modern techniques and quality and well trained personnel.

When you put the whole package together with design and production, you get top quality products at a fair market price that helps all of us enjoy the hobby more.

And as long as I am on my soapbox, let me ask each and everyone reading this to go to the AMA site and fill out and send in a comment about the new proposed FAA regulations. Please do this to help keep our hobby strong and prosperous for the future. See the link below, and thanks for your help.

Bert

https://amablog.modelaircraft.org/am...ormal-comment/
I posted 3X on the FAA site. I saw a comment that said not to use form letters and make it a story telling of our personal attachment to the hobby and good it provides Ö things like STEM. As for the model prices, EF may be absorbing tariffs, as well as all the others for Chinese products. The planes are still a great deal when you consider what it would take to make one yourself - just the cost of the covering would be $60 + for a 30 cc probably. Plus no way most of us are going to fixture/jig it all up for a straight build. (Well maybe you and Steve T could pull it off)
to remove ads between posts
Feb 25, 2020, 06:43 PM
cogito ergo zoom

104" Laser - Setup Help...

Good day Folks,

Forgive me for not going through all the posts; I admit I'm looking to save some time :^)

Just acquired a 104" Laser / GP-123 / DX-18. I'm coming back around to large scale aerobatic gas, I'm looking for setup advice:

- Surface throws for IMAC / 3D / E3D
- CoG changes for the above configurations
- Bad habit mixing (e.g. RUDD application --> pitch change direction, etcetera)
- Engine thrust line from OEM
- Any modifications that address known shortcomings

Thanks in advance.
Feb 25, 2020, 07:02 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
EF planes don't have known shortcomings (especially Lasers)....

SteveT.
Latest blog entry: My shop....
Feb 25, 2020, 08:28 PM
Team EFRC, Castle, BandE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallax
Good day Folks,

Forgive me for not going through all the posts; I admit I'm looking to save some time :^)

Just acquired a 104" Laser / GP-123 / DX-18. I'm coming back around to large scale aerobatic gas, I'm looking for setup advice:

- Surface throws for IMAC / 3D / E3D
- CoG changes for the above configurations
- Bad habit mixing (e.g. RUDD application --> pitch change direction, etcetera)
- Engine thrust line from OEM
- Any modifications that address known shortcomings

Thanks in advance.
I wrote the assembly manual and most of those things are contained in it. No bad habits, mixing is almost nil, I don’t carry any in mine. Do not change the thrust line, follow the manual for engine mounting. Like SteveT said there are no shortcomings in its performance. The only recommendation is the hatch in the initial batch had two fingers that secure the front of it, I advise beefing those up a bit. Other than that just go fly it. If you do not have the manual it can be downloaded off the EFRC website. Any questions beyond the manual I will be happy to answer here or PM me.
Jeff
Feb 25, 2020, 09:19 PM
cogito ergo zoom
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT.
EF planes don't have known shortcomings (especially Lasers)....

SteveT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilliamsrc
I wrote the assembly manual and most of those things are contained in it. No bad habits, mixing is almost nil, I donít carry any in mine. Do not change the thrust line, follow the manual for engine mounting. Like SteveT said there are no shortcomings in its performance. The only recommendation is the hatch in the initial batch had two fingers that secure the front of it, I advise beefing those up a bit. Other than that just go fly it. If you do not have the manual it can be downloaded off the EFRC website. Any questions beyond the manual I will be happy to answer here or PM me.
Jeff
Thank you kindly...
Feb 26, 2020, 12:12 AM
Guys....please go check out this thread and give 'cbedfellow' a good thumping, he is bashing EF again.

One guys question..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal W
Hello Friends,
are there any information about the Pilot RC Slick 73 " ?

Has anyone bought the model and already flown it?

I think about about buying one for aggressiv 3D, or something from Extreme Flight/3DHS like the 75" Edge or the 70" Extra.

https://www.pilot-rc.com/acrobatic/l...aser-73-1-85m/
cbedfellow's response

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbedfellow
I do not own the Pilot Slick but I have owned their Edge and Extra, I have owned pretty much all of the EF planes up 60" up to 91" and I must say I mainly fly my Pilots.

I say go for it, I just find the Pilots more enjoyable, more fun but a tad bit harder to fly. My EF planes in comparison are pretty boring and they require more throw to achieve the same.

EF is better for pattern/imac but I rarely fly those maneuvers so Pilot all the way!
SteveT.
Last edited by SteveT.; Feb 26, 2020 at 12:21 AM.
Feb 26, 2020, 07:36 AM
Team EFRC, Castle, BandE
I just ignore him.
Feb 26, 2020, 09:29 AM
That's no fun, Jeff.
Feb 26, 2020, 01:26 PM
They Call him Dead!
I don't know Steve.... I would not call his comment 'Bashing'. He is just stating an opinion. I disagree with his opinion, but that's all fair.

Yes, he may have been guilty in the past, but I just do not see this latest post as crossing the line.

Maybe it's me?
Feb 26, 2020, 02:29 PM
KE Spins make me dizzy.
Sorry Steve, can't do it.

I'm not a fan of brigading.
Feb 26, 2020, 03:01 PM
If you knew the history with him and EF, and reviewed the responses on that thread, I think you'll see it's all fair and honest and no one is piling on. Just correcting the record.

As far as the history, I'm pretty sure that Steve is referring to the fact that this person was shut down a few times by RCG and continued to come back under different names. I'm amazed he was able to post 392 times under this name without being blocked, so maybe he learned something. But I'm sure Steve remembers what went on a few years ago. Maybe even more recently, but my RCG involvement is limited now.
Feb 26, 2020, 03:29 PM
Planes N' Trains
not condoning his actions by any means, but some EF models in the past did have advantage when it came to flying lines versus 3D, so if he is basing his opinons on old EF models i can sort of see where he is coming from. Older EF planes flew lines a little better than they did down on the deck 3D stuff, versus 3DHS stuff which flew down on the deck a little better than flying the lines. Which is why we saw more 104 Extras than 104 slicks/ 103 extras in the good old days of XFC. this new stuff though really blurs the lines so that opinion is dated if thats what hes after. Really though, you cant go wrong with airframes from any modern manufacturer
Feb 26, 2020, 03:42 PM
Actually, I should not have asked you guys to go 'bash' him', but this guy has trolled so many threads and has made so many negative comments about so many products, (especially EF and 3DHS), that I just hoped people would go set the story straight.

Thanks to those that did, no hard feelings to those that didn't.

SteveT.
Latest blog entry: My shop....
Feb 26, 2020, 04:40 PM
Team Extreme Flight
Quote:
Originally Posted by cale10
Older EF planes flew lines a little better than they did down on the deck 3D stuff, versus 3DHS stuff which flew down on the deck a little better than flying the lines.
At least in the 4-5 footers, every release from the past ten years has been better than the last. The plane with the best combination of precision and 3D that I've ever flown is that 52" Velox. Damm, I hope we get a 60". My limit is 60", but if we get a larger one I may have to bite the bullet and get one. With that plane nothing matters besides having one.

Quote:
. Really though, you cant go wrong with airframes from any modern manufacturer
I'm ok with this because it's more fun when you have someone to beat. Since the merger it's been a Big X steamroller, but it's good to see the others taking up the gauntlet. Any time other manufacturers get closer that just pushes Chris and Ben to be better, and they always respond. As long as those two are together, I don't think anyone is going to catch them.

As far as the other guy, occasionally he will get a dig in and disappear. Best bet is to blow it off and go back to building your Velox instead. I can't take anyone who doesn't listen to Robin Trower seriously anyway!
Feb 26, 2020, 05:11 PM
Planes N' Trains
i like the idea of combining a low and slow 3d plane with a plane that can also fly lines and we are pretty much there with some of the modern ARF's. Still a few geared strictly at XA like the 105 slick and a few of the skywing planes, and still a few geared towards low n slow like the 106 edge, and the new 93 raven. back when manufactures tried to combine low and slow planes with fast XA planes we usually ended up with a plane that didnt really excel at either low and slow ,or AX, they just flew kind of wonky. I think the new 104 V2 is pretty much that combo airplane everyone has been trying to make. while again, not my cup o' tea, i can almost guarantee that that plane wins TAS, XFC, and Clover Creek this year in the hands of the right pilot, its unbeatable

Quick Reply