Aug 21, 2019, 05:49 PM
The links that are in the kit are the Dubro links. I had to order Hangar 9 Titanium Pro-Links 4-40x2-1/2" from Tower Hobbies @ $8.99 plus shipping so I can finish the build. I hope it was a simple email being down issue since I really like the Extreme kits.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 21, 2019, 06:01 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
They have been at the big show in Europe for a while...

SteveT.
Latest blog entry: My shop....
Aug 21, 2019, 06:07 PM
I am not a robot
Quote:
Originally Posted by NQNA
The links that are in the kit are the Dubro links. I had to order Hangar 9 Titanium Pro-Links 4-40x2-1/2" from Tower Hobbies @ $8.99 plus shipping so I can finish the build. I hope it was a simple email being down issue since I really like the Extreme kits.
Odd, I've never seen Dubro product of any kind in a EF kit. What happened to the ball links that were in the kit? Did your kit come with Dubro heavy duty ball links as well? If you purchase aftermarket products (Dubro HD Ball links) then I would not expect Extreme Flight to supply turnbuckles to fit those. And if you have Dubro Heavy Duty 3mm ball links, why order 4-40 rods? 4-40 is slightly smaller diameter thread than 3mm.
Aug 21, 2019, 08:33 PM
Here’s a few pictures of the situation. You can see that the threads cut on the left pushrod are smaller than the Hangar 9 4-40 cut rod on the right side of the picture. It’s true that 3mm is larger than the 4-40 threaded cut but the 4-40 is large enough for the ball link. I also took a picture of the Dubro and the kit supplied ball link - basically identical. The ball in the actual link is for a 3mm nut and bolt setup.
Aug 21, 2019, 08:34 PM
Chris actually made a comment that he purchases Dubro ball links and ships them to the manufacturers inn China, but I haven't seen them myself.

SteveT.
Aug 21, 2019, 10:45 PM
I am not a robot
OK, it's late and I'm tired. You'll be fine with the 4-40 rods. Yes they will work fine in the ball links. It's just that most all of the hardware used in ARFs coming from China use metric nuts and bolts, so I didn't understand if you had specifically bought Dubro HD ball links why you would then turn around and buy turnbuckles with 4-40 threads.

Lunsford is pretty much the tops in RC car and off road racing when it comes to turnbuckles, because they make the best. Most of us on these threads understand that. I can see where being new you might not have known about Lunsford.

I don't know if Chris (owner of Extreme Flight) is shipping Dubro ball links to the factory in China for use in EF ARFs or not. I've never had a problem with the ball links themselves. But I have had a bad screw or bolt and yes turnbuckles before, from many different manufactures. Just recently one bad one from EF, but I've also found bad hardware in Align helicopter kits and that does worry me some. It's just part of the hobby. They can't possibly inspect every single nut bolt and turnbuckle as closely as we might like. The numbers are just too high.

As I said before, Extreme Flight doesn't have a large staff at their HQ in GA, and when Chris has to go out of town for something like Wings Over Europe, things can get pretty busy in the shop. Emails take longer to answer and when you only have 2 or maybe 3 people at the most handling everything from shipping, receiving, taking new phone orders, and handling walk in customers...it can be tough to get around to every email. But let me tell you they are sooo much better than some of the competition, it's not even close. They care, I've been to their shop, you can tell they care.

BTW, a couple of photos of my own...maybe not as top notch quality as yours, but pictures are better than words alone. Both photos below are of 3mm turnbuckles. The one turnbuckle on the left is from EF, and the one on the right is from Lunsford. Both are good quality. And both have a 3mm nut threaded onto the shaft. Now it's true that the threads are not a perfect match. On turnbuckles thy use a slightly different pitch to the threads, but they are 3mm.

In the second photo is a picture of the other end, and the one of the left is still a EF unit. It's screwed into a EF supplied ball link. Fits perfectly and I wouldn't want it to be any looser. With the stress we put on the control surfaces of Extreme Flight planes I want mine to be a very solid connection. So while I agree that you'll be fine with the 4-40 thread, personally I'll keep using 3mm just for the extra hair of bite I might be getting in my ball links.

Hope you enjoy your MXS, I love mine and expect to fly it again this weekend.

Bert

Edit, Photo added of me and my MXS.
Last edited by Sideslip; Aug 21, 2019 at 10:55 PM.
Aug 22, 2019, 08:19 AM
I guess a slight clarification is in order here. I didn’t change any links to Dubro ones. The supplied pushrods did not have the correct thread for the supplied ball links. The pushrods for the elevator did have the correct thread size. The only replacement pushrods that I was able to find were the Hangar 9’s. The Lundford pushrods you pictured are a new brand for me. I will need to look for them in the future.

I wish I could post a video here. It shows the problem perfectly but they only allow pics.
Last edited by NQNA; Aug 22, 2019 at 08:31 AM.
Aug 22, 2019, 09:05 AM
God Your CoPilot? Switch Seats
I hope y'all git your "BALLS" and "LINKS" all worked out so you can get those birds in the air :-)

Sideslip you are looking GOOD with those two EF beauties.

Now you have put a yearn'n on me and I have to go and charge some batts and make room in my "things to do" today for a couple of quick flights out front of the house. That means 48" but that's ok cause they are more capable of anything that I can throw at them.

Stephen
Aug 22, 2019, 09:15 AM
I am not a robot
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaBarefootBoy
I hope y'all git your "BALLS" and "LINKS" all worked out so you can get those birds in the air :-)

Sideslip you are looking GOOD with those two EF beauties.

Now you have put a yearn'n on me and I have to go and charge some batts and make room in my "things to do" today for a couple of quick flights out front of the house. That means 48" but that's ok cause they are more capable of anything that I can throw at them.

Stephen

I'd fly 48s or at least 52s if I could. Our field is quite bumpy with mole hills and such. So I need the bigger tires of at least a 60. Within minutes of this post I will be out the door to go fly my Extreme Flight Yak 60. Love the way that Yak flies.

Enjoy the front yard flying....wish I could.

Bert
Aug 22, 2019, 01:46 PM
Quote:
I guess a slight clarification is in order here. I didnít change any links to Dubro ones. The supplied pushrods did not have the correct thread for the supplied ball links. The pushrods for the elevator did have the correct thread size. The only replacement pushrods that I was able to find were the Hangar 9ís. The Lundford pushrods you pictured are a new brand for me. I will need to look for them in the future.

I wish I could post a video here. It shows the problem perfectly but they only allow pics.
I beleve the threads are rolled instead of cut with a die (they could break too easily if cut with a die) , and it seems they do sometimes not get rolled correctly, and then, no, the ball links do not want to go on. It is somewhat frustrating. But I tend to swap out rods for turnbuckles anyway, so, really not an issue for me. And yes, I use the Lunsford or also SWB, or as you said, the Horizon Hobbies.

SteveT.
Aug 22, 2019, 02:20 PM
3D Addict
Rolled threads have a radius at the minor thread diameter that you can see with a good eye loupe. . Cut threads are a sharp angle. Rolled will often have a dimple at the end as the metal flows around the point. Rolled threads are at least 2x stronger due to no stress risers and much better thread consistency. But a cut one with sharper features may start better in plastic. I usually take an exacto and chamfer the bore of the link before I thread the rod in.
Aug 22, 2019, 04:39 PM
TEAM HILLBILLY
The first time I saw a machinist use a roll tap I was pretty impressed.
Aug 22, 2019, 05:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfabeast
Rolled threads have a radius at the minor thread diameter that you can see with a good eye loupe. . Cut threads are a sharp angle. Rolled will often have a dimple at the end as the metal flows around the point. Rolled threads are at least 2x stronger due to no stress risers and much better thread consistency. But a cut one with sharper features may start better in plastic. I usually take an exacto and chamfer the bore of the link before I thread the rod in.
Agreed!! This is why I usually tell people not to run a die onto control rods, other than just the very beginning to make the rods start into the ball link easier..

SteveT
Aug 22, 2019, 06:01 PM
Here are some pics of my Extreme creations..
Aug 22, 2019, 06:11 PM
They Call him Dead!
Quote:
Here are some pics of my Extreme creations..
Nice Job!

Is that the 76" MXS? What motor?

Quick Reply