May 20, 2019, 09:22 AM
The older 70" has a 70" fuse and therefore looked fairly big since the fuse was longer than the 74" 3DHS Edge 540 fuse -- pictured below with the 78. It weighed between 10 and 10.5 pounds depending on the setup and had smaller mini servos on each elevator.

Most guys started off with a 6S on a 380Kv motor and a 19x10 to about 96A. Not much power by today's standard until the whole idea of 12S came along. A 12S2200 pack is 3 ounces lighter than a 6S5000 and the DM4330 was only 1.75 oz heavier than the 4325. That's equal to today's 3D standard at 295 W/lb and 1.9:1 thrust.

But at 68A, most guys are going to need a minimum 3000mAh to get 5.5 minutes. But with the new construction, I don't think weight will be an issues, epsecially if they went with one elev servo this time.
Last edited by Aeroplayin; May 20, 2019 at 09:28 AM.
to remove ads between posts
May 20, 2019, 09:33 AM
Yea , they had there 74 slick built to 10lb 8 oz , so even if the plane weighs the same 10lb flat should be easy,. If it's really a slightly smaller plane an not just less span 9.5-10 may be doable.

But who really knows till there are more details.

Call me crazy but I really like the benefits of a single pack setup, even if it's only in my mind.
May 20, 2019, 09:34 AM
Team Extreme Flight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medicryan
The one on the left is a 48.
Say what?
May 20, 2019, 09:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhooks6
Call me crazy but I really like the benefits of a single pack setup, even if it's only in my mind.
Agreed. The 6S3300 on the 60 EXPs were about as convenient as it gets. The problem is that with a 10 lb plane on 6S, we need 128A to bring the power loading up to what we've been spoiled by over the years. There's no going back now, and 128A is a lot to manage on a LV setup with a 19x10 prop.... 420Kv. And 5000mAh is only 5 minutes.
May 20, 2019, 09:54 AM
I don't need to be on the cutting edge of the power curve, I'm generally ok with less, it would be a trade off I'm ok with in reason.

Really depends on actual size an weight of plane.
May 20, 2019, 10:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeroplayin
Agreed. The 6S3300 on the 60 EXPs were about as convenient as it gets. The problem is that with a 10 lb plane on 6S, we need 128A to bring the power loading up to what we've been spoiled by over the years. There's no going back now, and 128A is a lot to manage on a LV setup with a 19x10 prop.... 420Kv. And 5000mAh is only 5 minutes.
Are you quoting a hot pack or nominal,

Your calc would suggest lower amps.

What I have pictured would be an acceptable level of performance to me at 10 lb

Pitch speed is also nice
May 20, 2019, 12:58 PM
3D Addict
Quote:
Yea , they had there 74 slick built to 10lb 8 oz , so even if the plane weighs the same 10lb flat should be easy,. If it's really a slightly smaller plane an not just less span 9.5-10 may be doable.

But who really knows till there are more details.

Yeah my 12S setups are starting to be a pain, that's why I'm looking forward to the Turbo Raven.
May 20, 2019, 01:18 PM
Quote:
Are you quoting a hot pack or nominal?
Yeah, but my new calc also takes into consideration prop weight and a new efficiency value for the DM4330 (81%), which results in the following:

7459 RPM at 80% RPM/v efficiency
127.9A
2839W
19.4 lbs thrust
71.5 mph pitch speed which is about an 86 mph airspeed

You can get a little *closer* with the current PAR Calc by selecting the next motor load efficiency up.... 610 to 910 grams to 3800W mainly because these 573 to 676 gram 3100W motors got caught on the statistical cusp.

but the Amps will still be a little lower and the thrust will be a little higher because the prop load is now calculated and not pulled from a hard coded pK list.

Technology marches on. I'm waiting to deploy it in place of the current calc but I need a little help to make it cross platform accessible.
May 20, 2019, 02:15 PM
I am not a robot

Just a little off subject....

I'm looking at a new trailer for plane hauling. This will be my second trailer, and I'm wondering about the width. I need to get one low enough to fit in through a standard 7 foot garage door and that's not a problem, so now I'm wondering if a 5 foot or 6 foot width is needed to haul 74" planes. I thinking I'll probably want the 6 foot but thought I'd ask and see what some of you guys have used. I know that the elevators would probably overlap on a 5 foot wide and I'm not sure about a 6 foot.

Let me know if you guys have some thoughts on dos and don'ts for a plane hauler. I haven't placed the order yet so I can still make changes.

Thanks,

Bert
May 20, 2019, 02:25 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
For Bert...

As you can see, the landing gear does not interfere, but the stabs/elevators do in a five foot wide. I wish I could have gone with a six foot wide, but I was limited as to weight due to what I was going to haul the trailer with. The two planes on the bottom actually don't interfere with each other due to the difference in length. On the top, I use a car washing sponge to hold one tail up so they are not laying on each other and, I said on the phone it was about a three inch overlap, but as you can see it is closer to four inches. Also, if you can, get the rubber torque suspension. The trailers at this size with springs are really light and they do bounce a lot on rough roads (and we have a lot of them here).

SteveT.
Last edited by SteveT.; May 20, 2019 at 02:32 PM.
May 20, 2019, 03:00 PM
"BIG" Vyper Addicted
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT.
For Bert...

As you can see, the landing gear does not interfere, but the stabs/elevators do in a five foot wide. I wish I could have gone with a six foot wide, but I was limited as to weight due to what I was going to haul the trailer with. The two planes on the bottom actually don't interfere with each other due to the difference in length. On the top, I use a car washing sponge to hold one tail up so they are not laying on each other and, I said on the phone it was about a three inch overlap, but as you can see it is closer to four inches. Also, if you can, get the rubber torque suspension. The trailers at this size with springs are really light and they do bounce a lot on rough roads (and we have a lot of them here).

SteveT.
Well thanks a lot Steve...... Now I've got trailer envy again.....
May 20, 2019, 03:05 PM
Sorry my friend.. but which is worse, trailer envy or flying field envy? You have the ability to go fly pretty much any time you want at your own private field..that is what I am envious about!!

SteveT.
Latest blog entry: My shop....
May 20, 2019, 04:26 PM
Team Extreme Flight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medicryan
The one on the left is a 48.
Say what?
May 20, 2019, 04:34 PM
Dare to Inspire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Austin
Say what?
I wasn't sure if the small one in the pic was a 48 or 52 since it's got a plastic APC, very well could be a v2 of the 48" extra
May 21, 2019, 12:39 AM

Sorry,, way off topic..

But quite sad right now. My wife and I both realized we hadn't seen one of our cats whose name was Crystal (though we called her Crissy) all day, and we started looking for her. My wife found her curled up under our bed, where she had passed. She had evidently died last night in her sleep as, she was as noted curled up and looking very peaceful. She was born in around March of 2005 (she was a feral we had caught when she was a kitten so not real sure), so about 14 years old. She was definitely her 'own cat', but could be very loving when she wanted to.. I will most assuredly miss her..

SteveT.
Last edited by SteveT.; May 21, 2019 at 01:04 AM.

Quick Reply