New Products Flash Sale
Thread Tools
Old Mar 08, 2012, 11:56 PM
Cabledawg1 is offline
Find More Posts by Cabledawg1
Registered User
Cabledawg1's Avatar
Im done with the nano's as well. Out of 6 packs....4 puffed real bad....1 lost a cell...and the last....I still have it and its doing ok.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 09, 2012, 02:07 PM
jw357_23043 is offline
Find More Posts by jw357_23043
Shut up and Fly!!!
jw357_23043's Avatar
I'm relatively new to electrics and just got an old EF 45" Extra. I'm running a Torque 2818 900kv with CC Thunder 54esc with GensAce 3s2200. My CG is off so I had to add weight to the nose. I maidened today and it flew nice and power is decent however my question is should I be running 4s. There is no additional weight in the tail. I have HS 65 servos. Also there is slight wing rock. Any suggestions?
Old Mar 09, 2012, 03:11 PM
exeter_acres is offline
Find More Posts by exeter_acres
Extreme Flight Tech Support
exeter_acres's Avatar
for the 45" Extra with the 900... just use the 3S setup... it'll fly the heck out of it...
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 09, 2012, 03:16 PM
Doc Austin is online now
Find More Posts by Doc Austin
Team Extreme Flight
Doc Austin's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jw357_23043 View Post
I'm relatively new to electrics and just got an old EF 45" Extra. I'm running a Torque 2818 900kv with CC Thunder 54esc with GensAce 3s2200. My CG is off so I had to add weight to the nose. I maidened today and it flew nice and power is decent however my question is should I be running 4s. There is no additional weight in the tail. I have HS 65 servos. Also there is slight wing rock. Any suggestions?
I'de say fly it the way it is. That's a great plane to start with and it's real nice on 3s. If you go to 4s, I'de suggest you brace the stab with .055 carbon rods and seal all the controls surface gaps with blenderm tape or clear covering material. I flew mine on 4s and it was awesome, but without the braces and sealing I would have probably blown the tail off. That's a very light plane and with that kind of power it was stupid fast.

As far as wing rock, those planes had a little bit, but if you work hard on your harrier you can learn to minimize it. You could also make up some SFGs and those would probably help.

There is also a still-active thread on that plane. Because it was so good a lot of guys simply won't give it up. However, the EXPs series are so superior I expect most of those guys to show up here when the wear out or otherwise destroy their 45" Extras.
Old Mar 09, 2012, 05:48 PM
TG43 is offline
Find More Posts by TG43
Registered User
TG43's Avatar
I'm excited to have my mxs ready for maiden. Everything looks great. Just wondering if anyone drills a small hole throuh their landing gear and wheel pants to keep them from turning.

Now to start on the 60" extra.
Old Mar 09, 2012, 05:53 PM
hercdriver7777 is offline
Find More Posts by hercdriver7777
Team Extreme! Team Twisted!
hercdriver7777's Avatar
Just tighten them enough not to turn. If they are solid mounted it makes it easier to break a gear leg.
Old Mar 09, 2012, 06:02 PM
-= GYRO =- is offline
Find More Posts by -= GYRO =-
RC Pilot / Photographer
-= GYRO =-'s Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG43 View Post
Now to start on the 60" extra.
Got my 60" Extra in the mail Tuesday, started build last night. The horizontal stab was the easiest to line up out of the 10 ARFs I've built!
Got the fuse, rudder, and elevators complete, motor mounted, and esc installed. Running the Torque 5016-500 on a 70A ZTW ESC with a 15x8 Vox prop, all ready for some 6s fun!
Just have to throw the servos into the wings, mount the SFGs, and she'll be ready for maiden tomorrow! Can't wait!
Old Mar 09, 2012, 06:12 PM
exeter_acres is offline
Find More Posts by exeter_acres
Extreme Flight Tech Support
exeter_acres's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by hercdriver7777 View Post
Just tighten them enough not to turn. If they are solid mounted it makes it easier to break a gear leg.
yep...if you just tighten it up it should be fine...
you can put a small bit of Goop or shoe goo between the LG and the pant to hold it... but honestly I never have needed to
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 09, 2012, 08:49 PM
jw357_23043 is offline
Find More Posts by jw357_23043
Shut up and Fly!!!
jw357_23043's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Austin View Post
I'de say fly it the way it is. That's a great plane to start with and it's real nice on 3s. If you go to 4s, I'de suggest you brace the stab with .055 carbon rods and seal all the controls surface gaps with blenderm tape or clear covering material. I flew mine on 4s and it was awesome, but without the braces and sealing I would have probably blown the tail off. That's a very light plane and with that kind of power it was stupid fast.

As far as wing rock, those planes had a little bit, but if you work hard on your harrier you can learn to minimize it. You could also make up some SFGs and those would probably help.

There is also a still-active thread on that plane. Because it was so good a lot of guys simply won't give it up. However, the EXPs series are so superior I expect most of those guys to show up here when the wear out or otherwise destroy their 45" Extras.
Thanks Doc,
I was able to get 8 flights on it today. As I mentioned before I had to add another battery to the nose to balance it out. I used an old 4.8 nimh for weight. I'm going to try and move my receiver forward because the flight pack wasn't heavy enough. I was also thinking of using a 3s 5000mah I use for my EF 70" Extra. Do you think that will be too much for the speed control?
Old Mar 09, 2012, 08:53 PM
C_Watkins is offline
Find More Posts by C_Watkins
This is NOT a TOY?
C_Watkins's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jw357_23043 View Post
. I was also thinking of using a 3s 5000mah I use for my EF 70" Extra. Do you think that will be too much for the speed control?
Going up in mAh shouldn't give you anything but more weight and perhaps longer flights.
The motor/esc combo will only draw what they need.

Now, if your lower mAh battery was sagging more than the higher mAh battery will, you 'might' see more amps/watts drawn... but it's extremely unlikely.

Seems kindof a heavy battery for the plane, though. See if you like how it flies, I guess? If so, rock on
If you were flying with an extra flight pack up front just for C/G concerns, and it flew OK to you, it will probably be fine.
(I imagine it would fly much better with the lighter one, though, if you could work out your c/g another way)
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by C_Watkins; Mar 09, 2012 at 08:59 PM.
Old Mar 09, 2012, 09:07 PM
Doc Austin is online now
Find More Posts by Doc Austin
Team Extreme Flight
Doc Austin's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jw357_23043 View Post
Thanks Doc,
I was able to get 8 flights on it today. As I mentioned before I had to add another battery to the nose to balance it out.
Something is a bit odd here. That plane really shouldn't be that tail heavy. I flew mine with the same motor and 3s 2100 or 4s 2100 with the packs somewhere around the middle of the tray. Did you put the rudder servo in the tail or something?

Quote:
I was also thinking of using a 3s 5000mah I use for my EF 70" Extra. Do you think that will be too much for the speed control?
Man, that's a ton of battery for that little plane. That's more that twice the battery it was designed for. That plane should balance on about the middle of the wing tube with the battery middle to slightly forward on the tray. It really shouldn't be that tail heavy.

I'de suggest you post a few pictures of your set up here and on the 45" Extra thread. If you have something wrong maybe we can spot it.
Old Mar 09, 2012, 09:08 PM
powerlines is offline
Find More Posts by powerlines
I am ready for HHAEFI!!
powerlines's Avatar
Flying my 70'' Extra Sunday!!!! AND my ole 48 Edge!!! Poor 60 was left all alone at my buds...!!!!!
Old Mar 09, 2012, 09:27 PM
Doc Austin is online now
Find More Posts by Doc Austin
Team Extreme Flight
Doc Austin's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerlines View Post
Flying my 70'' Extra Sunday!!!! AND my ole 48 Edge!!! Poor 60 was left all alone at my buds...!!!!!
Have Manta bring it next time he comes to Florida. We'll give it some love....while we are abusing it, that is.
Old Mar 10, 2012, 01:26 AM
jw357_23043 is offline
Find More Posts by jw357_23043
Shut up and Fly!!!
jw357_23043's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Austin View Post
Something is a bit odd here. That plane really shouldn't be that tail heavy. I flew mine with the same motor and 3s 2100 or 4s 2100 with the packs somewhere around the middle of the tray. Did you put the rudder servo in the tail or something?



Man, that's a ton of battery for that little plane. That's more that twice the battery it was designed for. That plane should balance on about the middle of the wing tube with the battery middle to slightly forward on the tray. It really shouldn't be that tail heavy.

I'de suggest you post a few pictures of your set up here and on the 45" Extra thread. If you have something wrong maybe we can spot it.
Doc,
I found the CG problem. I knocked the tail wheel assembly off yesterday landing in a rough patch of field. I bought the plane home and decided to remove the weight I added in the front. Then I checked the CG again and it balanced out. The tail wheel assembly was heavy and not the stock one it's suppose to have on it. Thanks for the help Doc.
Last edited by jw357_23043; Mar 10, 2012 at 08:24 AM. Reason: Corrections
Old Mar 10, 2012, 03:38 AM
bryansifsof44 is online now
Find More Posts by bryansifsof44
bryansifsof44's Avatar
Well got just over 250 flights and 25 hours of flight time on the MXS... I had to replace the hinges in one wing when I did my repair. All the other surfaces had a hinge fail in the last week. Just got done replacing the last of them tonight on the elevator. First one was a pain in the a$$... Then I got the slot machine to cut the hinge slots on the rest and it was way cleaner and faster. Anybody else have the hinges fail around that time? Was thinking the cold possibly could of had something to do with wearing them out faster.


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cool New - Extreme Flight 60" Edge 540T EXP!!! hercdriver7777 3D Flying 12978 Nov 13, 2016 04:26 PM
Sold Extreme Flight Extra EXP 48 RTF HKC3 Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 0 Dec 15, 2010 10:47 PM
Sold 48" Edge EXP Extreme Flight, make offer crazyflyin Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 9 Sep 14, 2010 07:45 AM
Sold Extreme Flight EXP Extra 48inch (Red n Black) HKC3 Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 0 Sep 12, 2010 02:43 AM
Sold Extreme Flight Edge 540 EXP Rc_heli_flier Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 4 Sep 01, 2010 12:51 PM